20 year nostalgia trend , didn't happen this time. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #46
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:36 AM
It would be better if you responded to other people's points, too.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't buy this theory one bit.

The 70's making a comeback in the 90's is pretty solid, no one is going to deny that.

The 50's making a comeback in the 70's, um I think 70's TV and movies did a lot 50's nostalgia like Happy Days, American Graffitti, but muscially I can't think of how this happened, but of course I was a kid.

The 60's making a comeback in the 80's, I can't think of any examples that come to mind.

The 80's coming back in the 2000, absolutely:

The fashion has come back(much to my dismay).

Duran Duran had a bit of resurge this decade.

The Killers and many synth bands...

Hair metal/glam definately made a comeback even if it was short lived; think Darkness, Poison, Ratt, and many others went back on tour this decade.

The Donnas and other like them are very much a throw back to the 80's.

And how many 80's movies are being remade? I saw a commercial that remade the Breakfast Club dance scene, Footloose is being remade, Karate Kid remake, another Ghostbusters, and another Goonies.

In short this theory failed.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 PM
I think that every decade has a comeback during any particular decade if you look toward the right sort of music. For instance, this decade has wrought Fleet Foxes, The Strokes, Cut Copy, and Silversun Pickups. That's pretty much every decade represented, no? Each of these bands were inspired by past decades and yet are clearly of the now. I think this is sort of a soft topic.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Well hold on a minute. Just because someone toured dosn't mean they came back. The hair metal bands (outside of a bon jovi) have to tour in muti act tours because they can't sell on their own. They are no way "back". Please, please, you can attack me for alot of stuff, but don;t sell me on that hair metal. I do not respect them, and they did not come back. If anything i admit my distaste for them may cloud my judgement. i think they were a huge black eye on the decade. Duran duran came back? i know they were talked about for a bit, but i can't call that a comeback. i remember the 80's and at least where i was the 60's enjoyed a very nice Renaissance. Now i wasn't around for the 50's/'70s thing. However most rock and roll history books i read, as well being taught this in a classroom. after the burnout of the 60's the baby boomers rediscovered the music of their early childhood. The 1950's. It was one of the first things i ever learned about rock. The synth stuff i will make a effort to check into. I also feel those bands like the killers have a strong 70's influence as well.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
Well hold on a minute. Just because someone toured dosn't mean they came back.
I'm not saying they made a come back, but there was a reason they all got back together and toured, and I'm pretty sure a lot had to do with the fact that there was this resurgence of glam bands and they thought they could cash in on that. In fact there's a whole genre called nu-glam, that are all inspired by Poison, Ratt, etc...

Quote:
The hair metal bands (outside of a bon jovi) have to tour in muti act tours because they can't sell on their own. They are no way "back". Please, please, you can attack me for alot of stuff, but don;t sell me on that hair metal. I do not respect them, and they did not come back.
There's no attack, but you can't deny that there wasn't a resurgence this decade. Hair metal wise:The Darkness, Tokio Hotel, etc...

Quote:
i remember the 80's and at least where i was the 60's enjoyed a very nice Renaissance.
Can you give me example, I can't really think of any...

I think Killers are definately a combo between a Duran Duran and U2 ripoff... Bloc Party I thought were very 80's...

You may not like it, but it has happened.

The other examples I can think of were the female solo albums of the 2000's Gwen Stefani, Fergie, the celebs gone pop like Paris and Heidi what's her name, etc all had 80's pop throw back feels, at least the few songs I heard.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #51
The Male

I could name 70-80 artists from this decade that have either dabbled in or fully latched onto 80s throwback sounds, but even if I had 700-800, it wouldn't be enough for this guy.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #52
45:33

Local Time: 05:36 PM
mods, delete this thread. then the OP can restart it and we'll all just write "agreed" until it becomes stale.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #53
Refugee

the doors came back in a big way in the 80's . I don;t consider bands like the darkness hair metal. I'm talking about bands like dokken,warrent,skid row,poison, winger. Now one person agreed with me that the 70's did come back in the 90's. You really feel the 80's came back just as strong in this decade? i mean, maybe i just am looking for something more then just bands from '00s with a 80's influenced sound as proof.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
the doors came back in a big way in the 80's .
The Doors came back when the movie came out which was 91.

Quote:
I don;t consider bands like the darkness hair metal.
Then there is probably no helping you.

Quote:
Now one person agreed with me that the 70's did come back in the 90's.
I think it was pretty obvious that the 70's came back in the 90's...

Quote:
You really feel the 80's came back just as strong in this decade? i mean, maybe i just am looking for something more then just bands from '00s with a 80's influenced sound as proof.
It's been said before, you just aren't going to concede. You could be sitting in a room with Block Party,the Donnas, Kanye in his shudder shades, all the new synth bands, guys with popped collars, and all the 80's remakes you want and you would still deny it for the sake of making your insane theory work...
Old 11-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - Cut Copy - Lights & Music

YouTube - Julian Casablancas - "11th Dimension"

YouTube - MGMT - Time To Pretend

etc.... Dig deeper.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #56
The Male

YouTube - Metric - Gimme Sympathy [Official Music Video]

YouTube - Passion Pit-Little Secrets (Manners)

YouTube - Super Furry Animals - Inaugural Trams

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #57
Refugee

Then i guess their is something in the comebacks of the other decades that i am not seeing this time. oh well. Either that, or i feel the the other comebacks were so powerful that they make this one look weaker. I have heard the darkness and i think they sound better then warrent/dokken/poison regardless if those bands did influence them. The doors movie was in 1991. Because of their music coming back in the 80's leading up to that. If anything, i'm wrong by a couple months going the other way. The use of "the end" apocalypse now in late 1979 got it started. Its noted that way in many history books. But its something i can't explain in words why i don't see the 80's in the same way everyone else does. So i'm not discussing it any further. If i do change my mind its certainly not going happen in a few days. I'm not be gonna like "oh well, i felt this way for a real long time but a few people told me on a message board that this was so and so, i better do a 180 overnight". So thats what i say to the people who say i;m not listening. However, i think the decades ranking is still interesting just to see what people feel. Next time, i'll start a thread on something i;m not sure about yet.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #58
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh man, hearing "Sleepyhead" at the local hipster dance club last night made my night. THE PASH!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #59
45:33

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Oh man, hearing "Sleepyhead" at the local hipster dance club last night made my night. THE PASH!
what i wouldn't give to find a place like that
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #60
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm glad that you are far away then, because it was AWESOME.

"Sleepyhead" + odd trance remix of "Roxanne" = night of win.