20 year nostalgia trend , didn't happen this time. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #31
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 10:21 PM
yea, the kids i talked to did care about hendrix. I see what your saying. Yeah, they are some posers who just wear it to be 'retro cool". But even if you factor them out, still got alot of people who seek out the records and know it. More then people who are seeking a 80's artist. I think people who liked the early 90's artists for example wanted to seek out the classic rock artists who influenced them. The people who like the killers are not seeking the 80's bands out who influenced them. Remember, this is a message board with alot of intense and educated music fans. So yea, on here it gonna appear they are doing that. What i am saying is, the casual fan isn't at all.
__________________

__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #32
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 10:21 PM
No i am not ignoring what people. I just don;t agree. I am not gonna lie. i don't see it. i didn't say the 80's didn't have great music. Just not as much as the 60,'s,70's and 90's. i do see the 80's influence in some 00's. Didn't change my view. I don't really wanna get into fights as much as i just wanna see what other people think. If it seems like i'm ignoring anyone i;m not. With all due respect, i do believe in the 20 year cycle.
__________________

__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 02:21 PM
you're arguing two different points though. Are you saying that the 80s have had no influence, no comeback, or are you saying it just didnt have as good of music?
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 AM   #34
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
The people who like the killers are not seeking the 80's bands out who influenced them. Remember, this is a message board with alot of intense and educated music fans. So yea, on here it gonna appear they are doing that. What i am saying is, the casual fan isn't at all.
Bollocks. For example, 80s nostalgia events, complete with 80s music, are rather popular amongst all kinds of demographics, not just serious music fans (hell, if we want to play the "what people I know are doing" game, my best friend is at just such an event right now). More popular than nostalgia events for any other decade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
No i am not ignoring what people. I just don;t agree. I am not gonna lie. i don't see it. i didn't say the 80's didn't have great music. Just not as much as the 60,'s,70's and 90's. i do see the 80's influence in some 00's. Didn't change my view. I don't really wanna get into fights as much as i just wanna see what other people think. If it seems like i'm ignoring anyone i;m not. With all due respect, i do believe in the 20 year cycle.
You're never going to see it if you remain wilfully blind to people pointing out examples of the 80s in action. Why did you even bother making this thread? It's quite obvious you don't want your view changed.

And this "20 year cycle" is just based on a bunch of convenient correlations. I wonder, was there a 1930s revival in the 1950s? An 1880s revival in the 1900s?

Let's be honest. People in their twenties, making a lot of the new music out there, will sometimes reflect the music they knew in their childhood. That's the closest you can get to any theory, and it's never going to work perfectly. Especially when people have more and more readily accessible recordings from more and more different time periods to draw upon. Somebody whose formative years were in the 1980s may have been more exposed to 1960s music in revival, so their influence would in fact reflect the 1960s as seen by the 1980s.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 AM   #35
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 10:21 PM
You could say, that i feel that the bad music of that decade, was so bad, that it prevented a comeback of that decade to the the levels the previous decades enjoyed. The image of hair metal and bad cheesy synth pop ruined it for the great bands . For the record, i know their was some great snyth music that inspired today artists. However, i feel their was alot of bad snyth as well. real bad. bad enough to cancel out the good. And because of that, nobody is seeking the decade out with the intensity and urgency that past decades did with older music.
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
You could say, that i feel that the bad music of that decade, was so bad, that it prevented a comeback of that decade to the the levels the previous decades enjoyed. The image of hair metal and bad cheesy synth pop ruined it for the great bands . For the record, i know their was some great snyth music that inspired today artists. However, i feel their was alot of bad snyth as well. real bad. bad enough to cancel out the good. And because of that, nobody is seeking the decade out with the intensity and urgency that past decades did with older music.
I officially forbid you to speak to me
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #37
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 10:21 PM
You say i don't want my view changed. I say, Its not gonna to change overnight. Cause if it did, then i truly didn't believe it anyway. I have felt this way for a while now.
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #38
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
You could say, that i feel that the bad music of that decade, was so bad, that it prevented a comeback of that decade to the the levels the previous decades enjoyed. The image of hair metal and bad cheesy synth pop ruined it for the great bands . For the record, i know their was some great snyth music that inspired today artists. However, i feel their was alot of bad snyth as well. real bad. bad enough to cancel out the good. And because of that, nobody is seeking the decade out with the intensity and urgency that past decades did with older music.
You clearly don't know much about either metal or synth pop. The amount of retro thrash made this decade is ridiculous, and synth pop has certainly been well-represented in the charts of late.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #39
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 04:21 PM
when did music from 20 years ago ever reach the popularity it had previously? the only example i can think of is when bohemian rhapsody topped the charts in the 70s and again in the 90s. even then, that's one song. older music's primary goal is to influence musicians. just because karma chameleon didn't reach #1 in the 80s and again this decade doesn't render all 80s music irrelevant and crappy.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 AM   #40
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 10:21 PM
For the record, i notice no one has really answered the other question i proposed. Where is music going? because everyone is more interested in the 80s debate because its more volatile and stand off-ish. Shows this board is more about fights then anything else. I didn't attack anyone personally on here.
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 AM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
For the record, i notice no one has really answered the other question i proposed. Where is music going? because everyone is more interested in the 80s debate because its more volatile and stand off-ish. Shows this board is more about fights then anything else. I didn't attack anyone personally on here.
And no one is attacking you, just defending the music some of us love a great deal, far as I can tell.

As far as where music's going? Hard to tell at this point, thus I didn't offer an answer.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #42
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
For the record, i notice no one has really answered the other question i proposed. Where is music going? because everyone is more interested in the 80s debate because its more volatile and stand off-ish. Shows this board is more about fights then anything else. I didn't attack anyone personally on here.
I didn't answer that because I've no bloody clue. I'm not much into crystal-balling. It's easier to discuss what's already happened than make assumptions about what MAY happen. In any case, the music I'm most interested in is rather underground, and I could hardly give a toss where the mainstream goes.

Though I will contribute a decades ranking:
1. 2000s
2. 1990s
3. 1980s
4. 1970s
5. 1960s

Yeah, that's right. I think music is constantly progressing and getting better. Each decade builds upon and responds to the cumulative influences of the decades before it.

(Plus it's an easy choice for me to rank the 1990s and 2000s as my favourite decades since my two preferred kinds of music effectively did not exist before then.)
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
just because karma chameleon didn't reach #1 in the 80s and again this decade doesn't render all 80s music irrelevant and crappy.
Ummm... that's probably not the best choice of songs if you're trying to prove not all 80s songs were crap. It's hideous. It was hideous in the 80s and it still is. Ugh, ugh, ugh!
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #44
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
One of the first things i learned about in rock history was the 20 year nostalgia trend that occurred . At least until now it did. The 50's came back in the 70's, 60's in the 80's, 70's in the '90s. I can attest personally to the latter two . I absolutely remember that being the case. When i was in school i remember the older groups being almost as cool as the newer ones. However, in this decade the 80's did not comeback. Not even close. My opinion is that ,frankly its not a overall good decade for music. Most of the popular music has not stood the test of time. No one gives a shit about that music and nobody called for it to come back. Sure, they are plenty of great bands. Including the band that this site is for. But honestly it seems to me the trend didn't really happen this time. The only 80's groups that had success are ones that had transcended the decade on their own. I kinda got thinking about this after reading the rolling stone poll about artist of the decade. I also wondered what people rank as the the best decade for music. For me, i cant rank the 50's because it was the first decade of rock, and the genre was so new and all. It kinda stands on its own, as it will always stand as the first decade of rock. Otherwise, i would go
1.1970's
2.1960's
3.1990's
4.1980's
5.2000's.

The 70's and 60's are very close for me. Incredible music and innovation. The 80's and 00's are overall bad, and while their are great bands, the amount of bad,dated, and very badly aged music is very high . This decade being the most directionless, and disjointed of them all. The 90's right in the middle. Felt the first half was very strong, and then after 95 started to get lost. Like the the entire '00s decade. But not quite as bad. (but instead of getting better in 2000, just got way worse.).
I mean i think this is a very fair question. We just have completed the 6th decade of rock music. Where have we been and god help us, where are we going? Will music get better? Will the 90's music come back to enjoy a nostalgia run? (that would make the 80's look bad , because as far as i'm concerned they got skipped, and rightfully so.) Trends?
Yeah, everyone else has jumped on your false point that the '80s didn't "come back," so I'll refrain from discussing that part.

Kind of going off of what Axver said, you do get these 20-year resurgences, but they serve to create either a new genre or reshape a previous trend in a way that goes beyond just a nostalgia fix.

I think when you factor the musical "quality" of a decade, as subjective as that could be, you have to consider the cultural impact of something and whether or not it left a positive residual effect. Disco, for example, is generally regarded as shit, and rightfully so, but even then, you have some amazing pop work to be found with The Bee Gees, Donna Summer, KC & the Sunshine Band, etc... and its response, the Punk scene, was equally as influential and, in my opinion, better. It's all about action and reaction, you know?

A band like The Killers has the benefit of having that well of artists to choose from, like Duran Duran or Bruce Springsteen, to formulate their sound, but that doesn't necessarily mean its better than either source, just different. We also are lucky as hell to live in an age where music is more readily available and possibly outside of a corporate system to consume. The underground bands of the '60s and '70s that weren't as fortunate as The Velvet Underground would thrive in this era.

It's hard to rank, but based on what I've heard:

The 1970s
The 1960s
The 2000s
The 1990s
The 1980s
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #45
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 10:21 PM
I see if i had asked the question without giving my thoughts on the 80's it may have been better. Still other then that its all fair questions. And once again, just cause i set the 50's apart doesn't mean everyone has too. I pick the 70's in part in because i felt more musical ground was broken in that decade then the others with 60's being a really close 2nd. I felt the '80's - '00s didn't have as much of that. Didn't say their wasn't any, just not as much. Thats part of it.
__________________

__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rate my album collection. shart1780 Lemonade Stand Archive 75 02-14-2008 12:07 AM
The Toll Grows Higher Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 333 08-13-2005 11:09 AM
Poll time, with the year coming to an end its time to choose me! Interferencer of the Year Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 13 12-22-2001 02:34 PM
Band of the Year: Rock's Unbreakable Heart Salome Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 8 12-10-2001 03:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com