20 year nostalgia trend , didn't happen this time. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
yeah, i dressed up all 80s for halloween, and i had no problem finding any of my clothes. i didn't buy an 80s costume or anything, so everything i picked were things you can find at the mall today. hell, claire's even sells slap bracelets again. (though i can't remember if that was late 80s or early 90s)
definitely mid-90s.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
yeah, i dressed up all 80s for halloween, and i had no problem finding any of my clothes. i didn't buy an 80s costume or anything, so everything i picked were things you can find at the mall today. hell, claire's even sells slap bracelets again. (though i can't remember if that was late 80s or early 90s)
I remember having them when I was three or four, 1990/1991

Old 11-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Invented by Wisconsin teacher Stuart Anders and sold under the brand name "Slap Wrap",[1] the slap bracelet was a popular fad among children, pre-teens and teenagers in the late 1980s and early 1990s and was available in a wide variety of patterns and colors. The bracelet was banned in several schools following reports of injuries stemming from improper use.[2][3] The bracelet was later reintroduced with a plastic spring, but there were still reports of injuries.[4]
Thank you, Wiki
Old 11-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Thank you, Wiki
new zealand strikes again
Old 11-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
new zealand strikes again
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Just so i'm clear, i don't count the groups i said above as '80's band". u2 is not popular because of the 80's. They are not riding a 80's wave of nostalgia. And even if you count the bands like that, theirs alot more legendary acts from the 60's/70's then the 80's. . Don't think the average kid knows or cares about the hair metal and snyth pop that dominated the decade. Most kids i talk to care way more about hendrix then depeche mode.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

when did led zeppelin get back together for a show? was that this year or 08?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
Just so i'm clear, i don't count the groups i said above as '80's band". u2 is not popular because of the 80's. They are not riding a 80's wave of nostalgia. And even if you count the bands like that, theirs alot more legendary acts from the 60's/70's then the 80's. . Don't think the average kid knows or cares about the hair metal and snyth pop that dominated the decade. Most kids i talk to care way more about hendrix then depeche mode.
But do they actually care about Hendrix? Do they know more than Purple Haze and The Wind Cries Mary (simply, of course, because they were in Guitar Hero)?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #24
The Male

Unless those kids pick up an instrument and make music I listen to every day, I consider their impact nil.

Or, rather, I don't consider them at all.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 01:01 AM
I realize that newer artists have sited the 80's as a influence. Still didn't see a real comeback. And if you are gonna defend the 80's i respect that. However, nobody has defended hair metal yet . And that was a popular form of music. So you cannot pretend it didn't exist. Its what really kills the decade for me to be honest. I do believe it has not aged well and deserves the the bed rep it gets. I do think some synth pop was good, but whole lot more was worse. I will be fair, the 70's had disco and that also is garbage. I do believe, the 70's has such great artists and so much great music, that can survive having disco on its resume. I feel the great 80's music is brought down by alot of bad bad music.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I realize that newer artists have sited the 80's as a influence. Still didn't see a real comeback. And if you are gonna defend the 80's i respect that. However, nobody has defended hair metal yet . And that was a popular form of music. So you cannot pretend it didn't exist. Its what really kills the decade for me to be honest. I do believe it has not aged well and deserves the the bed rep it gets. I do think some synth pop was good, but whole lot more was worse. I will be fair, the 70's had disco and that also is garbage. I do believe, the 70's has such great artists and so much great music, that can survive having disco on its resume. I feel the great 80's music is brought down by alot of bad bad music.
It's what killed the decade a bit in general, thus the anti-80s standpoint of the beginning of the 90s. It faded away though. If you don't hear the 80s influences in even mainstream music, I just don't know what else to say.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #27
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
I realize that newer artists have sited the 80's as a influence. Still didn't see a real comeback.
Are you just ignoring what everybody else is posting?

See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Albums from this year alone that channel the 80s in a major way:

Passion Pit - Manners
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Metric - Fantasies
Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
Röyksopp - Junior
Bell X1 - Blue Lights On The Runway
The XX - XX
Miike Snow - Miike Snow
Hockey - Mind Chaos
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
Or, for that matter, listen to M83.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
so what you're saying is because there was some music you don't like from the decade means there's been no comeback at all?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #29
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Also, this idea of 20 year cycles is just about as ridiculous as the idea of U2 making album trilogies. Claiming the eighties as a musically weak decade due to them not satisfying the criteria for some theory is just daft.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #30
The Male

If you want to talk about bad, BAD music, the pop charts from the 70s are absolutely hilarious. Don't make me bring those out.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote