The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe being burnt out on/avoiding Billy Joel for so long has made me appreciate this performance more than I might have otherwise. You cannot have a concert like this without him there, and, frankly, his voice sounds great. Cannot pretend like I'm not enjoying the shit out of this.

Really glad I dvr'd this thing. Its fun...but it would've been hard to stick with it for 4+ hours... plus I was able to skip right past Adam Sandler.

I'm glad I saw the whole thing. Sitting through the entire event made it a pretty special thing. I don't know, it was cool, I had fun. Except for the fucking Stones.

Let's hopy the highlights hit YouTube soon as the 121212 website does not seem to have any video content (anymore).

Yes, I slept through all of it as it is a regular working day for me now.

“This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden,” Jagger said. “But I’ve got to say, if it rains in London, you’ve got to come and help us, OK?”

“This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden,” Jagger said. “But I’ve got to say, if it rains in London, you’ve got to come and help us, OK?”

Not seeing the offence to be honest. Sounds like a bit of a joke to me.

Yeah, a bit sloppily put but I don't see the big controversy there.

It was that in conjunction with them only playing two songs. The delivery, everything, he really seemed like he didn't want to be there.

I was hoping that McCartney would belt out Negative Creep, School or Scentless Apprentice in his best Helter Skelter-like style :wink:, but that jam turned out to be fun. Outright bizarre, but fun.

I went to bed halfway through Billy Joel, have to get up too early.

Paul McCartney puts on a great live show, have seen him a few times. He said he didn't even know who Nirvana was, that's what I thought was funny. And sad. When Paul McCartney is like my Mom...

Don't know why Kanye basically did a mini concert. It was a mess, changed the channel.

Yeah, that part seemed to cry for a guest vocalist. The band's vocals didn't quite cut it. Loved hearing it anyway, though.

Should have brought Eddie back out for it, Pearl Jam regularly covered I Got a Feeling in the early 90's. (I saw them do like a 16 minute version at the Orpheum in 94, really putting the "jam" in Pearl Jam).

Did you misread NSW's question?
He said which combo had the bigger talent gap?
I think Zak is a great drummer whereas Ringo is/was a personality much more than a musiciain.

No, I didn't. I thought there was larger gap between Griffey Sr and Jr. Whereas I thought Zak and Ringo were both pretty darn good drummers. So, I suppose a smaller talent gap there.

For the record:

-Sir Paul was joking about Nirvana. He knew who they were. :wink:

-Mick was joking too about the British. The Stones were a late addition to the concert, so maybe that was why they only performed two songs. He seemed like he enjoyed being there. Perhaps they could have made an exception and let them play more songs, though. That would have been cool.

Gotcha.
(But Ringo wasn't really a "darn good drummer", thats why Macca used to sneak back into the studio at night and re-record the drum parts himself during Beatles recording sessions)

I was confused by your answer to me about "poor" Zak having street cred, but now I think that you thought I was saying the bigger gap was Ringo being better than Zak, its quite the opposite, the son drums circles around the father.

Gotcha.
(But Ringo wasn't really a "darn good drummer", thats why Macca used to sneak back into the studio at night and re-record the drum parts himself during Beatles recording sessions)

Hell, if you saw the Let it Be movie, Get Back, he's telling George how to play his guitar. Paul was/is kind of a control freak.

I went to sleep after The Rolling Stones, but going through the thread, I really want to see Michael Stipe performing 'Losing My Religion' with Chris Martin, as well as Billy Joel & Paul McCartney.

Which act do you guys think had the best crowd reaction?

Back
Top Bottom