Wow...this is an amazing performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_tTydQt0CA

Wow. What an amazing performance of "Walk On" . I love the end!! You can feel the presence of God. What a powerful witness for those who may have been unsaved. Bono literally crying out to Jesus in front of thousands.:applaud: . How in the world could his salvation be doubted? I know anyone can say the name and fool many, but there's a genuine heartcry if I ever saw one. It's like the Spirit just fell. It looked like they all felt it but Adam. I'm assuming this is before he became a Believer? It looks almost like he's angry during this song. I know someone told me that you can see a genuine change in him from the Boston and Chicago DVDs, like his whole attitude and persona changed. Is it just me, or does it look like Larry's crying during this performance. I know he gets that expression on his face a lot, but it looked more like he was moved by the Presence of God at that moment. Hallelujah. By the way, does anyone have a performance of "Walk On" from the Vertigo Tour, and what did you think of this one?? God Bless!!

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

That was the surface meaning. Bono has said that all U2 songs are "praise to God...even the angry ones." The deeper meaning is about Salvation. I believe Bono has said that somewhere. Hence the reason, he says "That's for Jesus" after the performance. Have a good day! God Bless You!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist: The Eminem Show/Eminem
Song: "Sing For The Moment"

"What no man can own....No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

U2isthebest said:
That was the surface meaning. Bono has said that all U2 songs are "praise to God...even the angry ones." The deeper meaning is about Salvation. I believe Bono has said that somewhere. Hence the reason, he says "That's for Jesus" after the performance. Have a good day! God Bless You!

nah, i think all the songs address God in some way, and some of them are very angry and are anything but praise, and i don't think salvation is meant to be taken in a literal sense, or at least in a nakedly religious/Christian context. so i wouldn't take his comment as part of a master plan on Bono's part -- i don't think he sits down and says, "and now, for the subtext: must praise God." i think they just sort of work out that way, if you want, and also if you don't.

take "one." bono is on record (in the Rolling Stone of December 2005) as saying the song is pretty much about a gay son coming out to his father. and in that context, it makes perfect, beautiful and insightful sense. now, is that all it can be? no, of course not. and i think what Bono does, by trying to get at the psychology of a moment or a situation, is touch on very human universal experiences, strands of emotion inherent to any sort of complex situation.

i also don't hear the "that's for jesus" at all at the end.

but it's a great performance, and a great song.

The "That's for Jesus" is on the performance that I listed in the original post. It's a concert performance I found on Youtube. God Bless!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist- American Idiot/Green Day
Song: "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

"What no man can own...No man can take": Yahweh-U2

That is a great peformance, and you're right - The Holy Spirit is moving him.

And you're also right that he said "That's for Jesus", right after saying "Thank you". Then he said "and to the Almighty".

Great stuff.

U2isthebest said:
The "That's for Jesus" is on the performance that I listed in the original post. It's a concert performance I found on Youtube. God Bless!!

i've listened to it and i don't hear it at all.

i also own the DVD and have not heard it.

80sU2isBest said:
That is a great peformance, and you're right - The Holy Spirit is moving him.

i think it's 20,000 drunken Bostonians.

And you're also right that he said "That's for Jesus", right after saying "Thank you". Then he said "and to the Almighty".

Great stuff.

i did hear it this time.

it's so refreshing to hear someone finding something positive in conjunction with Christianity and Jesus -- it's so often used as a vehicle to hate others instead of maximizing human potential, which is what i think the song is about.

It starts w/him saying "Thank you" at 04:45 and continues through w/the "Hallelujahs", to about 05:45. It will be easier if you watch the Youtube performance, and maybe just fast forward to about 04:40. God Bless!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb/U2, Song: "City of Blinding Lights"

"What no man can own...No man can take." Yahweh-U2

Are you sure he's not saying "thank you Massachusetts"? That's what it sounds like to me, not "thank that's for jesus". The video is from Boston, Massachusetts.

No he's definitely saying "That's for Jesus!" It's pretty clear on the Youtube performance anyway. God Bless!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb/U2 Song: "A Man and a Woman"

Irvine511 said:

i think it's 20,000 drunken Bostonians

i did hear it this time.

it's so refreshing to hear someone finding something positive in conjunction with Christianity and Jesus -- it's so often used as a vehicle to hate others instead of maximizing human potential, which is what i think the song is about.

U2isthebest and I are having a positive conversation about Bono and his joy in The Lord. Why are you bringing points of contention into the conversation? This is not the appropriate forum for that; this is not Free Your Mind.

80sU2isbest

It's nice to hear from you!! May I give you my e-mail address? I would like to talk about some more things with you! It's brittanyn@mail.com Just let me know when you see this, so I can delete the thread. Thanks! God Bless You!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist- Like A Prayer/Madonna
Song: "Like A Prayer"

"What no man can own....No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

No. It's not Massachusetts. The transcript is off. I've listened to it a few more times since then. I figured I misheard since they were in Boston. However, if you click on the Youtube link, and fastforward to about 04:40 and listen for the next minute or so, you can hear w/o a doubt that he says "That's for Jesus" twice. It's pretty clear. I don't see how someone could get Massachusetts out of it. God Bless!!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-American Life/Madonna
Song: "I'm So Stupid"

"What no man can own....No man can take." Yahweh-U2

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

U2isthebest and I are having a positive conversation about Bono and his joy in The Lord. Why are you bringing points of contention into the conversation? This is not the appropriate forum for that; this is not Free Your Mind.

you're right, this isn't the appropriate forum, but i get a little bit nervous whenever anyone tries to claim Bono as being a member of their camp, or sharing their particular view of the bible/jesus/salvation/whatever and to co-opt his words and twist them into support for their particular brand of faith. there might be parallels and commonalities, but Bono is most clearly not a "conservative Christian" by American standards. the man swears, drinks, smokes, starts fights, dances, writes despairing music about the absence of God, writes songs that have nothing to do with God, has probably indulged in mild drug use, had premarital sex, has alluded to extramarital affairs, loves different religions, attends different religious services, hangs out at Buddhist meditation centers, loves and supports gay people, and is one of the most complex, interesting, and compelling characters in popular culture precisely because he's successfully able to straddle so many contradictions. he's his own kind of believer, not yours and not mine, not anyone's.

that's all i was getting at.

On the contrary he's been faithful to Ali their entire life together. He makes that clear in the new book "U2 by U2", As for the other stuff, I know he loves gay people and supports them as we all should, but he's never fought for their rights. Bono is a Christian. He adovcates the need for Salvation through Jesus alone in "Bono: In Conversation". He also has mentioned it in the Los Angeles Times last year and just weeks ago at Bill Hybel's conference. He may not be "conservative" in terms of his behavior, which for the main part is simply religious traditions of men that have nothing to do w/the Grace of Jesus. However, he won't get involved in other faiths. That is mentioned in different books about Bono/U2. He may encourage peace between them (which we should!!!), but he won't establish anyone but Jesus holding the ultimate Truth. U2 refused to perform at an event the Dalai Lama (who Bono said he loves and respects) at an event that basically proclaimed all faiths as equal paths of Salvation. Bono wrote back, and said he couldn't do that, because it went against his faith. He without a doubt believes Jesus as the only path to Salvation. If you'd like examples, of his statements on this, let me know, and I can post them. One more note, Bono has stated that "All U2 songs are praises to God and creation, even the angry ones." His words, not mine. God Bless!!

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:
On the contrary he's been faithful to Ali their entire life together. He makes that clear in the new book "U2 by U2"

i haven't read it, but i think there's ample evidence in his songs that he's struggled. we don't know, it's none of our business, but it would shock me if he hasn't. and i'm fine with that. they seem to have a wonderful marriage, so who would we be to judge it.

[q]As for the other stuff, I know he loves gay people and supports them as we all should, but he's never fought for their rights.[/q]

ever listen to the song "one"?

further, they've been big supporters of Amnesty International. regard:

[q]OUTfront! Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Human Rights
Human Rights Concerns

Breaking the Silence
Amnesty activists are part of a growing global movement taking up the challenge to protect the dignity and rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people everywhere. OUTfront, Amnesty International USA's program on LGBT human rights, and a network of Amnesty activists in 40 countries are working to defend the human rights of LGBT people around the world.
[/q]

Bono is a Christian. He adovcates the need for Salvation through Jesus alone in "Bono: In Conversation". He also has mentioned it in the Los Angeles Times last year and just weeks ago at Bill Hybel's conference. He may not be "conservative" in terms of his behavior, which for the main part is simply religious traditions of men that have nothing to do w/the Grace of Jesus. However, he won't get involved in other faiths. That is mentioned in different books about Bono/U2. He may encourage peace between them (which we should!!!), but he won't establish anyone but Jesus holding the ultimate Truth. U2 refused to perform at an event the Dalai Lama (who Bono said he loves and respects) at an event that basically proclaimed all faiths as equal paths of Salvation. Bono wrote back, and said he couldn't do that, because it went against his faith. He without a doubt believes Jesus as the only path to Salvation. If you'd like examples, of his statements on this, let me know, and I can post them. One more note, Bono has stated that "All U2 songs are praises to God and creation, even the angry ones." His words, not mine. God Bless!!

and the above is what i'm talking about. :shrug:

yes, Bono is a Christian, but he's not the Christian many want him to be, nor does he say that his way is what's right for everyone, nor would he use the same vocabulary you do that's wrapped up in establishing the glorious supremacy of Jesus. he does not evangelize. and i have it on first hand information that he's spent plenty of time doing Buddhist meditation at a center in Dublin. he respects everyone.

could you cite something regarding the Dali Lama performance? have been a rabid fan for years and have never heard anything about that.

It's in the "U2 by U2" book which I don't own yet, but I read it on the Internet somewhere. When I get the book, I'll try to post it.
However, he does believe that Salvation through Jesus alone is important. Here are 2 examples: The first is from Bill Hybel's Willow Creek Church Leadership Summit in August 2006: Bono-"Second only to personal redemption and salvation the main thrust of the Scriptures is to meet Christ in working with the poor".
Another example is from an interview w/The Los Angeles Times on April 4, 2005. Bono-"...I genuinely believe that second only to personal redemption, the most important thing in the Scriptures — 2,103 passages in all — refers to taking care of the world's poor."

This is an example from "Bono: In Conversation" where Bono explains the deity of Jesus compared to other religions: Assayas: That’s a great idea, no denying it. Such great hope is wonderful, even though it’s close to lunacy , in my view. Christ has his rank among the world’s
great thinkers. But Son of God, isn’t that farfetched?

Bono: No, it’s not farfetched to me. Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: he was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn’t allow you that. He doesn’t let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I’m not saying I’m a teacher, don’t call me teacher. I’m not saying I’m a prophet. I’m saying: “I’m the Messiah.” I’m saying: “I am God incarnate.” And people say: No, no, please, just be a prophet. A prophet we can take. You’re a bit eccentric. We’ve had John the Baptist eating locusts and wild honey, we can handle that. But don’t mention the “M” word! Because, you know, we’re gonna have to crucify you. And he goes: No, no, I know you’re expecting me to come back with an army and set you free from these creeps, but actually I am the Messiah. At this point, everyone starts staring at their shoes, and says: Oh, my God, he gonna keep saying this. So what you’re left with is either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. I mean, we’re talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson. This man was like some of the people we’ve been talking about earlier. This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had King of the Jews” on his head, and was they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it. I’m not joking here. The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that’s farfetched…"

Here is an example where he talks about "With or Without You" being about his struggle to stay faithful to Ali, and his struggle to faithful to God. Bono-"The lyric is pure torment. One of the things that was happening at the time was the collision in my own mind between being faithful to your art or being faithful to your lover. What if the two are at odds? Your gift versus domestic responsibility? I had always been the kind of person who would sleep on everyone else's floor, the eye of the travelling rat, a natural tinker. I would just wander off and be very happy. So now I have this person in my life whom I love more than my life but I'm wondering if the reason I'm not writing is because I'm now a domesticated beast. I'm wondering if I'm house-trained? If I meet somebody and I want to go off with them, to find out what their world is like, I can't because I'm a married man. It's not even about sexual infidelity. I just remember thinking: 'Is this the life of an artist? Am I going to have kids and settle down and betray my gift or am I going to betray my marriage? It was a very difficult thing in my head. I had met a couple of people on the way who had taken advantage of my naivete, is the best way I can put, and I realized I knew so very little about this world and now, the future looked like I was going to know even less. You can learn about politcs, culture, but your emotional life also has to be developed. I think in some senses mine wasn't, and I was going through all this kind of uncertainty. I was at least two people: the person who is so responsible, protective and loyal and the vagrant and idler in me who just wants to run from responsibility. I thought these tensions were going to destroy me but actually, in truth, it is me. That tension, it turns out, is what makes me as an artist. Right in the centre of a contradiction, that's the place to be. There I was. Loyal. But in my imagination filled with wanderlust, a heart to know God, a head to know the world, rock star who likes to run amok and sinner who knows he needs to repent....
If I had cut loose, what would have become of me?"

One more note: All of the example I just posted are evangelizing! Sadly, religious people have turned evangelizing into a Bible-thumping, "You're going to Hell" experience that, tried by myself, in the past, does NOT work. Bono is clearly stating his views here. Salvation comes through Jesus alone, and the most important message that comes to us through The Bible is the redemption of Jesus. However, he does it in a non-combative way. If only all Believers, could try to lead people to Christ like this, the state of the church (and by church, I mean all Believers regardless of denomination) would be much better off. I've also read that those close to him, he does witness about Jesus to try and get them to convert to Christianity (once again, likely in a similar matter like in the examples above) I know of one example for sure: Liam Gallagher from Oasis said he's tired of 'Bono trying to convert him to Christianity b/c according to Liam "I'm my own god" God Bless!!

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:
However, he does believe that Salvation through Jesus alone is important. Here are 2 examples: The first is from Bill Hybel's Willow Creek Church Leadership Summit in August 2006: Bono-"Second only to personal redemption and salvation the main thrust of the Scriptures is to meet Christ in working with the poor".
Another example is from an interview w/The Los Angeles Times on April 4, 2005. Bono-"...I genuinely believe that second only to personal redemption, the most important thing in the Scriptures — 2,103 passages in all — refers to taking care of the world's poor."

where does he say "salvation through Jesus alone?:" he says that Scripture -- not Bono, SCRIPTURE -- says that salvation is important, so i think you're taking your own understanding of what "salvation" means and foisting it upon Bono and putting words in his mouth that aren't there. and in the second quote, he says REDEMPTION.

[q]This is an example from "Bono: In Conversation" where Bono explains the deity of Jesus compared to other religions: Assayas: That’s a great idea, no denying it. Such great hope is wonderful, even though it’s close to lunacy , in my view. Christ has his rank among the world’s

Bono: No, it’s not farfetched to me. Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: he was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn’t allow you that. He doesn’t let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I’m not saying I’m a teacher, don’t call me teacher. I’m not saying I’m a prophet. I’m saying: “I’m the Messiah.” I’m saying: “I am God incarnate.” And people say: No, no, please, just be a prophet. A prophet we can take. You’re a bit eccentric. We’ve had John the Baptist eating locusts and wild honey, we can handle that. But don’t mention the “M” word! Because, you know, we’re gonna have to crucify you. And he goes: No, no, I know you’re expecting me to come back with an army and set you free from these creeps, but actually I am the Messiah. At this point, everyone starts staring at their shoes, and says: Oh, my God, he gonna keep saying this. So what you’re left with is either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. I mean, we’re talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson. This man was like some of the people we’ve been talking about earlier. This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had King of the Jews” on his head, and was they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it. I’m not joking here. The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that’s farfetched…"[/q]

this has been posted quite a bit, but i think it's important to note that Bono is explaining what the Bible says that Jesus has said (obviously, we don't know what Jesus actually said). that's really all. does he believe it? probably. but this isn't a profession of faith in the way that you understand it, it's much more of a theological analysis.

[q]Here is an example where he talks about "With or Without You" being about his struggle to stay faithful to Ali, and his struggle to faithful to God. Bono-"The lyric is pure torment. One of the things that was happening at the time was the collision in my own mind between being faithful to your art or being faithful to your lover. What if the two are at odds? Your gift versus domestic responsibility? I had always been the kind of person who would sleep on everyone else's floor, the eye of the travelling rat, a natural tinker. I would just wander off and be very happy. So now I have this person in my life whom I love more than my life but I'm wondering if the reason I'm not writing is because I'm now a domesticated beast. I'm wondering if I'm house-trained? If I meet somebody and I want to go off with them, to find out what their world is like, I can't because I'm a married man. It's not even about sexual infidelity. I just remember thinking: 'Is this the life of an artist? Am I going to have kids and settle down and betray my gift or am I going to betray my marriage? It was a very difficult thing in my head. I had met a couple of people on the way who had taken advantage of my naivete, is the best way I can put, and I realized I knew so very little about this world and now, the future looked like I was going to know even less. You can learn about politcs, culture, but your emotional life also has to be developed. I think in some senses mine wasn't, and I was going through all this kind of uncertainty. I was at least two people: the person who is so responsible, protective and loyal and the vagrant and idler in me who just wants to run from responsibility. I thought these tensions were going to destroy me but actually, in truth, it is me. That tension, it turns out, is what makes me as an artist. Right in the centre of a contradiction, that's the place to be. There I was. Loyal. But in my imagination filled with wanderlust, a heart to know God, a head to know the world, rock star who likes to run amok and sinner who knows he needs to repent....
If I had cut loose, what would have become of me?"[/q]

it says he's stayed faithful to his marriage. and he has. it's tremendously admirable. but it doesn't get into the specifics of sexual fidelity -- in fact, in the above, he says, "it's not about sexual infidelity" -- and there's ample evidence in "New York" and, i think, "WOWY" to show that bono has wandered off a bit. but what is important, and is a testament to their marriage, is that he's always come back. but this is a mistake to view this as evidence that Bono has never had an extramarital affair, when his lyrics seem to say otherwise.

and it's important to note that Bono is a performer, and in both these instances, he's speaking to an audience. just how honest do you expect him to be? these are words and music for mass consumption -- he would never deliberately embarass Ali with anything so direct.

One more note: All of the example I just posted are evangelizing! Sadly, religious people have turned evangelizing into a Bible-thumping, "You're going to Hell" experience that, tried by myself, in the past, does NOT work.

and why don't you think it works? could it be that it's the fault of that message itself?

let me ask you: is a child on the streets of Calcutta, raised as a Hindu, going to hell?

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

where does he say "salvation through Jesus alone?:" he says that Scripture -- not Bono, SCRIPTURE -- says that salvation is important, so i think you're taking your own understanding of what "salvation" means and foisting it upon Bono and putting words in his mouth that aren't there. and in the second quote, he says REDEMPTION.

[q]This is an example from "Bono: In Conversation" where Bono explains the deity of Jesus compared to other religions: Assayas: That’s a great idea, no denying it. Such great hope is wonderful, even though it’s close to lunacy , in my view. Christ has his rank among the world’s

Bono: No, it’s not farfetched to me. Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: he was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn’t allow you that. He doesn’t let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I’m not saying I’m a teacher, don’t call me teacher. I’m not saying I’m a prophet. I’m saying: “I’m the Messiah.” I’m saying: “I am God incarnate.” And people say: No, no, please, just be a prophet. A prophet we can take. You’re a bit eccentric. We’ve had John the Baptist eating locusts and wild honey, we can handle that. But don’t mention the “M” word! Because, you know, we’re gonna have to crucify you. And he goes: No, no, I know you’re expecting me to come back with an army and set you free from these creeps, but actually I am the Messiah. At this point, everyone starts staring at their shoes, and says: Oh, my God, he gonna keep saying this. So what you’re left with is either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. I mean, we’re talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson. This man was like some of the people we’ve been talking about earlier. This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had King of the Jews” on his head, and was they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it. I’m not joking here. The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that’s farfetched…"[/q]

this has been posted quite a bit, but i think it's important to note that Bono is explaining what the Bible says that Jesus has said (obviously, we don't know what Jesus actually said). that's really all. does he believe it? probably. but this isn't a profession of faith in the way that you understand it, it's much more of a theological analysis.

[q]Here is an example where he talks about "With or Without You" being about his struggle to stay faithful to Ali, and his struggle to faithful to God. Bono-"The lyric is pure torment. One of the things that was happening at the time was the collision in my own mind between being faithful to your art or being faithful to your lover. What if the two are at odds? Your gift versus domestic responsibility? I had always been the kind of person who would sleep on everyone else's floor, the eye of the travelling rat, a natural tinker. I would just wander off and be very happy. So now I have this person in my life whom I love more than my life but I'm wondering if the reason I'm not writing is because I'm now a domesticated beast. I'm wondering if I'm house-trained? If I meet somebody and I want to go off with them, to find out what their world is like, I can't because I'm a married man. It's not even about sexual infidelity. I just remember thinking: 'Is this the life of an artist? Am I going to have kids and settle down and betray my gift or am I going to betray my marriage? It was a very difficult thing in my head. I had met a couple of people on the way who had taken advantage of my naivete, is the best way I can put, and I realized I knew so very little about this world and now, the future looked like I was going to know even less. You can learn about politcs, culture, but your emotional life also has to be developed. I think in some senses mine wasn't, and I was going through all this kind of uncertainty. I was at least two people: the person who is so responsible, protective and loyal and the vagrant and idler in me who just wants to run from responsibility. I thought these tensions were going to destroy me but actually, in truth, it is me. That tension, it turns out, is what makes me as an artist. Right in the centre of a contradiction, that's the place to be. There I was. Loyal. But in my imagination filled with wanderlust, a heart to know God, a head to know the world, rock star who likes to run amok and sinner who knows he needs to repent....
If I had cut loose, what would have become of me?"[/q]

it says he's stayed faithful to his marriage. and he has. it's tremendously admirable. but it doesn't get into the specifics of sexual fidelity -- in fact, in the above, he says, "it's not about sexual infidelity" -- and there's ample evidence in "New York" and, i think, "WOWY" to show that bono has wandered off a bit. but what is important, and is a testament to their marriage, is that he's always come back. but this is a mistake to view this as evidence that Bono has never had an extramarital affair, when his lyrics seem to say otherwise.

and it's important to note that Bono is a performer, and in both these instances, he's speaking to an audience. just how honest do you expect him to be? these are words and music for mass consumption -- he would never deliberately embarass Ali with anything so direct.

and why don't you think it works? could it be that it's the fault of that message itself?

let me ask you: is a child on the streets of Calcutta, raised as a Hindu, going to hell?

I can't answer these questions. However, the last one: I believe absolutely that child who had no chance to hear about Jesus would go to hell. There's not a chance of that child going to hell, from what I've gathered from The Bible. As for Bono, he is a Christian when you pointed out that Scripture says, not Bono, you're right if Bono said it himself it would mean nothing. Bono says Scripture says it, because that is what he bases his beliefs on. If God says it, Bono believes it. He talked about he reads The Bible as the Living Word of God that is absolutely true in Rolling Stone last year. He explains it as "rhema" which means living. He explains to the interviewer "I don't read it as a historical book, I don't look at it, well that's good advice.." He was saying The Bible was not just another great advice book, it was "rhema" which is translated as the exact word of God. It's a Greek word, btw. Also, when he said "It's not about sexual fidelity", I was confused at first, but the more I read over that quote, he's saying it's about more than that. You can stay sexually faithful to your partner your entire life, but that doesn't really mean anything, if you're not emotinally/spiritually faithful. It hurts more to know your partner is not connected to you than if he/she is sexually faithful to you (which is still important, IMO). He has actually stated in another quote that he has never slept w/another woman besides Ali. I may be able to find that. He has had ppportunities tempted many times (which is where the inspiration might come from), but he's never cheated. As for the "theological ananlysis" you're right because he's trying to explain who Jesus is, however if you read the rest of the chapter he explains that he Jesus is His Savior as well. I don't mean to start an argument. I was just trying to explain a different point of view. As I said , I don't want to start a fight, so I'm going to leave at this! God Bless!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-College Drop-Out/Kanye West
Song: "Jesus Walks"

U2isthebest said:
but he's never fought for their rights.

Yes he has. A remix version of Night and Day appeared on a limited release Gay Rights CD after it was released on the Red Hot and Blue CD.

"Out Loud - For the human rights and freedom of lesbians and gays"

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Loud-Vari...=pd_bbs_1/104-2955953-2995108?ie=UTF8&s=music

U2isthebest said:

U2 refused to perform at an event the Dalai Lama (who Bono said he loves and respects) at an event that basically proclaimed all faiths as equal paths of Salvation. Bono wrote back, and said he couldn't do that, because it went against his faith.

Any proof of this? I know it's been stated in here before, but it was chalked up to rumor for no one could produce evidence.

probably best to just walk away from this one.

it's simple: Bono is a Christian, but that doesn't mean he's your type of Christian, and it's dangerous to claim him.

that's all i'm trying to say.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Any proof of this? I know it's been stated in here before, but it was chalked up to rumor for no one could produce evidence.
It says in the new book that he objected to it because "there was something a little bit 'let's hold hands' hippie to me about this particular event," though it says nothing about him saying it "went against his faith." The Oneness Festival (which the Dalai Lama is only tangentially involved with) is indeed a very "hippie-ish," New Agey festival held at a sort of spiritualist camp in South India every year. Its purpose is not at all to "basically proclaim all faiths as equal paths of Salvation," rather it's a ragtag assortment of workshops on such topics as medical astrology, Nostradamus, neurolinguistic programming, essential oil healing, feng shui, "planetary acupuncture meditation," etc. I've never heard of anyone affiliated with a mainstream organized religion being involved with it, and would've been amazed if U2 had been interested.

U2isthebest said:
As for the other stuff, I know he loves gay people and supports them as we all should, but he's never fought for their rights.

Actually, one of my favorite Bono quotes is the following:

I really do not understand the hatred towards gays... it's awful. Some people say they're sinners, and that they don't deserve the right to be married and so on — and they use God's words as an excuse for all of this hate. That's ridiculous; if God is anything, it is love — no matter what race, gender, or sexual orientation. Everyone is created equal in the eyes of the Lord.

Ditto on the Night & Day song, which is amazing by the way.

I remember when Bono was in Australia during during the popmart tour, he attended the Sydney Mardi Gras parade. According to the Sydney Telegraph, he was quoted to saying he loved it! And that tolerance is the mark of any evolving society.

Bono is passionate for gay rights and equality

This is why I see him as such a strong Christian! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom