Who is the girl in Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nozomi

The Fly
Why are U2 trying to let somebody know something in Pop and who are they? I really do like Pop, though, although some in the Christian realm consider it something that makes Christ less than He is . . . . I think some of the reviews were less than hoped for . . . I think the criticism is that Jesus is portrayed as impotent. What is the point of Pop? thanks. for any review over this.:ohmy:

Bono talks about how "POP" is really the most overtly God-concious album that U2 has ever made. In "U2 by U2" Bono says, "There are a lot of arguments with God on this record. ...It should have been called 'Shouting At God'. But it does not chart my loss of faith. I think even the most mediocre minds can figure out that if you're rattling on and on about how much you don't love somebody, it is evidence of passion. You can't be having an arugment with God if you don't believe there is one. ....Someone described 'Pop' as the death of God, suggesting that if there's no eternal, all we had left was the snapshot, the surface. So, it is an album about the death of God. I'm just allowing myself to express those big questions. Even though they weren't particularly mine, I felt they were in the minds of a lot of people around me." ...."This is an argument with love itself, if you believe, as I do, that God is love."

Both of those quotes above were taken from "U2 by U2" The first being from page 266. The second is from page 269. I've always seen 'Pop' in a similar fashion. It's one of my favorite albums because of the struggle, the difficulty, the screaming at God. That's faith. It's not found in our dancing, jumping, and shouting in the church bubble. It's found in going through shit and saying "God I'm pretty pissed at you now, but I'm still going to to trust you anyway."

what do you mean "what girl are you talking about" it obviously wasn't a wife, ok?, because a wife wouldn't put up with it, so it was obviously someone Bono used as an example for his portraying of his artistic-viewing side. He was using an image, whether some Christian or idealistic idea of womanhood . . . He had someone to work his art off of, someone to "play the pieces" . . .
whoever wrote the lyrics had someone to play their art off on and the other "took it." . . .
whether they were co-writers or "ghost writers" there was a play of writing tools to Pop, and it came off in a synchronized way,
an unbelievably beautiful charisma of talent and singing power that probably means nothing in my mediocre semi-descriptive inquiry.

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:

I'm so confused. Maybe she means the girl from "Last Night on Earth"?:huh:

"Jesus, were you just around the corner
Did You think to try and warn her"

:shrug: Of course, there are MANY references to different women on Pop.

Then again, this thread may be asking several questions at once, which is what I'm suspecting. For the record, Pop isn't a "God-less" record, if anything, it is indeed one of the most candid looks inside of a doubting Christians' mind ever caught on record. Most Christian rock wouldn't dare take on some of these subjects, for fear of being excommunicated from the CCM universe, but sometimes it is very healthy to take a good look at what you believe in. God wants your beliefs to be fortified, and sometimes it takes uncomfortable and frustrating circumstances for that to happen...kind of like the particular struggles that Bono writes about on Wake Up Dead Man. As a result, I find WUDM bashers to be extremely elitist and hypocritical in this area.

But really, I have no idea what this thread is about. Just wanted an excuse to rant. :giggle:

nozomi said:
what do you mean "what girl are you talking about" it obviously wasn't a wife, ok?, because a wife wouldn't put up with it, so it was obviously someone Bono used as an example for his portraying of his artistic-viewing side. He was using an image, whether some Christian or idealistic idea of womanhood . . . He had someone to work his art off of, someone to "play the pieces" . . .
whoever wrote the lyrics had someone to play their art off on and the other "took it." . . .
whether they were co-writers or "ghost writers" there was a play of writing tools to Pop, and it came off in a synchronized way,
an unbelievably beautiful charisma of talent and singing power that probably means nothing in my mediocre semi-descriptive inquiry.

Um, what? :scratch:

That makes sense now. He didn't want his mother to die. He is mad that God didn't warn her, right?

U2isthebest said:
I'm just allowing myself to express those big questions. Even though they weren't particularly mine, I felt they were in the minds of a lot of people around me."

So if Bono doesn't question his own big questions, why do you think he wanted to express the minds around him in POP? Do you think U2 wanted to show their fans they don't have all the answers? Or maybe give them new hope in a different light that first looked like darkness on the album POP?

You know, it's funny, POP is a Pop record but it kinda comforts you they way blues does with it's lyrics. POP lyrics are all about "There's a light after every tunnel." Regular Pop music says, "There is always hope and always light, just dance!" I don't know, I just find this interesting. :hmm:

Last edited:
Cute Irish Bono said:
U2isthebest said:
I'm just allowing myself to express those big questions. Even though they weren't particularly mine, I felt they were in the minds of a lot of people around me."

So if Bono doesn't question his own big questions, why do you think he wanted to express the minds around him in POP? Do you think U2 wanted to show their fans they don't have all the answers? Or maybe give them new hope in a different light that first looked like darkness on the album POP?

You know, it's funny, POP is a Pop record but it kinda comforts you they way blues does with it's lyrics. POP lyrics are all about "There's a light after every tunnel." Regular Pop music says, "There is always hope and always light, just dance!" I don't know, I just find this interesting. :hmm:

I think so! Bono has always talked about how being a Believer has given him more questions than answers. Pop and POPmart were all about the shallowness of materialism and looking for God under all the shallowness of this age. I think they were also trying to give hope also that God was still alive and active, but that we might be looking for Him in the wrong places. I would definitely agree with both of your assumptions, cute irish bono!

LemonMelon said:

"Jesus, were you just around the corner
Did You think to try and warn her"

:shrug: Of course, there are MANY references to different women on Pop.

Then again, this thread may be asking several questions at once, which is what I'm suspecting. For the record, Pop isn't a "God-less" record, if anything, it is indeed one of the most candid looks inside of a doubting Christians' mind ever caught on record. Most Christian rock wouldn't dare take on some of these subjects, for fear of being excommunicated from the CCM universe, but sometimes it is very healthy to take a good look at what you believe in. God wants your beliefs to be fortified, and sometimes it takes uncomfortable and frustrating circumstances for that to happen...kind of like the particular struggles that Bono writes about on Wake Up Dead Man. As a result, I find WUDM bashers to be extremely elitist and hypocritical in this area.

But really, I have no idea what this thread is about. Just wanted an excuse to rant. :giggle:

Wow, thank you, I found your response to be the most dignified and cautious response out there--no (to others...) I don't smoke weed. It is true that in our journey of faith we may find much doubt but I hope all of that is alleviated through focus on Christ, and who He is.
Thanks, by the way, for the link to the video you like on your journal--I found it sooo very much representative of what 'being single' can be like, in certain perspectives. (Although, I'm not single anymore, I just know that it's very difficult to be single and cautious.)
:)
:wink:

Last edited:
Nozomi, can you give us a clear description of what exactly you wanted answered with your question? Your last post didn't make any sense at all to me, in terms of what you've posted before.:confused:

OMG. You think I want clarity on my original question? ha hahaha. my most basic response would be to forget about it. there is no girl, it's simply an idea. yet, the logical idea would be... they needed someone to set them straight in America and it wasn't some 30 year old hydrid of a female, okay. I mean, let's be logical. they came to America, and they needed help.

I really . . . I don't feel like continuing
with this now.:huh: i have a lot on my plate.
back in the mid 80's, during the Joshua Tree explosion (which certain Pastors I know WOULD SAY .....there was an explosion)
--they were 26 who cares... can you take it with you? I mean? what is it? it's all bullshit. I mean it's all limelight.

I couldn't grasp it with my teeny tiny fingers. The Bible talks of those in middle class as "having the MOST." Rich people have shit. they grasp and grasp and give towards .... the wind. they try and reach. some of them get it.

they give example if they're graced enough to give it. You can't take it with you when you die. All that matters is the Lord Jesus Christ, and His payment on the cross for our sins--and your trust in Him and in His payment.

all this taken from Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

you know I can't delve further than what's known. It's all (seemingly) complete bullshit anyway.

nozomi said:
OMG. You think I want clarity on my original question? ha hahaha. my most basic response would be to forget about it. there is no girl, it's simply an idea. yet, the logical idea would be... they needed someone to set them straight in America and it wasn't some 30 year old hydrid of a female, okay. I mean, let's be logical. they came to America, and they needed help.

I really . . . I don't feel like continuing
with this now.:huh: i have a lot on my plate.
back in the mid 80's, during the Joshua Tree explosion (which certain Pastors I know WOULD SAY .....there was an explosion)
--they were 26 who cares... can you take it with you? I mean? what is it? it's all bullshit. I mean it's all limelight.

I couldn't grasp it with my teeny tiny fingers. The Bible talks of those in middle class as "having the MOST." Rich people have shit. they grasp and grasp and give towards .... the wind. they try and reach. some of them get it.

they give example if they're graced enough to give it. You can't take it with you when you die. All that matters is the Lord Jesus Christ, and His payment on the cross for our sins--and your trust in Him and in His payment.

all this taken from Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

you know I can't delve further than what's known. It's all (seemingly) complete bullshit anyway.

What the heck?:huh:

Mods, is there any way to close this thread? It literally does not make any sense. Is there a possibility that this poster might be a troll?

Last edited:
Nozomi, we can't possibly be all stupid if we don't understand what you are talking about.

What I understand is that you are very passionate about this subject and have some questions about POP.

Is there any chance you can give us some background to your thoughts instead of pure stream of consciousness??

Really, I am interested now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom