Where's your journey led you so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The other day I was listening to the radio at work, like I often do, the host was interviewing a woman named Lauren Winner who has written a book called Girl Meets God: On the Path to a Spiritual Life. She talked about her own spiritual journey, one that took her through Judaism and Christianity. It was an interesting discussion and it got me to thinking about how unique everyone's lives and paths are. The little things that move you from one point to another and that cause you to make choices regarding faith. And how your past experiences create a lens through which you see the present.

So, I thought it might be interesting, if people are willing to share, for us to share a bit of our own spiritual journey stories. :) I'll just throw that out there for now and come back later to post mine.

Cheers,
sula

I don't have the time and length to bore all of you to tears, but basically my spiritual journey started at the loss of my father from cancer at 17, deep depression at 18, a new birth at 19, marriage to my soulmate and best friend at 21, finding my life's direction at 23, fulfilling an impossible dream of graduating from college at 30, and now each and every day, living out my passion and calling of teaching, and yet my spiritual journey continues, and each day I live life as if it my last, I call it sucking the marrow out of life each day, but at the same time living my life like I'll live forever.

Chris

Mine began about 10 years ago when I was at a very low point in my life. When I say low, I mean that I was contemplating suicide. I stayed up all one night, praying and asking God to let me die. I kept asking him to "just let me see the light at the end of the tunnel". The next day at school I was called into the counselor's office because one of my friends told them that they thought I might be suicidal. Long story short, they whisked me off to a mental health counselor and the first words out of her mouth were "this is the light at the end of your tunnel". If that isn't proof that God hears and answers prayers I don't know what is.

Lately my journey has been a struggle because 15 months ago somebody I loved very much walked out of my life and after that I found out that my dad has cancer. I've had many times where I get angry at God because so many bad things have happened to me in the past year and a half. However, I still pray every day for strength and I still believe. I've been hurting for such a long time but I deeply believe that everything happens for a reason and I know that God has some plan for me even though I can't see it right now. So, my faith keeps me plugging away and trying to find that light at the end of the tunnel again.

uhm Im afraid that maybe my comments have caused the thread to die. Mods, please feel free to delete it if this is the case. Sorry.

Um, My spiritual journey begin the day that I was born, actually even before I was born bc my mom was told by the doctors that she should abort me and yet she didnt. Then after I was born the doctors told my mom to leave me in an institution(sp?) and yet again she didnt. I have had epiglottis(swelling of the epiglotis and yes it's fatal) and I am still here. I used to have psychomotor seizures and actually thought I was developing them back when I was 13 but yet again I have overcome those obstacles. You see I have no doubt in my mind that I am still on this earth for a reason that is still unknown to me!! :wink:

My spiritual journey began probalby when I was in high school. I was seriously dating a born-again Christian. I was raised Catholic & went to church every single sunday since I was born lol. But I hadn't learned for myself WHY I wanted to be there- I went b/c I had to. I was involved in the church youth group & did enjoy going to seminars/camps. Late high school my then-boyfriend's church started to show me different ways to worship God. I'll admit there were things that I didn't agree with, but back then I was still growing up & learning how to disagree w/ people I loved.

In college (post-relationship) I was put off by my classmates being really trashy and sometimes mean people and then going to church & (what i saw it as) pretending to be good. coulda been a skewed opinion on my side. But a bunch of really snobby people ran my college chapel. I stopped going, went to acouple churches outside school. But this two year transistional period (attending some catholic & some baptist masses) I really learned what it meant to be in tune with God and listen to Him and consider what my life means for Him. I developed a personal relationship with Him. I was given the opportunity to look objectively at religion while still having faith. That truly was a huge deal for me.

Today, I practice in a Catholic church although not every week. But I hold close to me the relationship I have with God and the way I developed it, as well as the absolute love I saw in the Baptist churches/people towards God. One day I want to try a Protestant church & see how I feel there.

I know this seems more likea church-journey instead of spiritual journey but I think I've found my spirituality through the people I've met at these churches & the way I've seen faith celebrated or ignored.

Carrie

My journey hasn't taken me far. I'm too much of a control freak to give my life over to God, and I struggle with my faith everyday. I don't have much of a relationship with God because of that.

I admire anyone who has a strong faith in God. I wish I could post as good as a story as some of you, but my faith simply isn't strong enough. And that makes me feel so ashamed since God has always been there for me and helped me through so much.

Oh well, I'll just have to get better at this.

Perle

Last edited:
Perle,
I know how you feel sort of. I have a hard time giving my life over to God too. I also struggle with my faith just about every single day. I guess I had to reach a spot so low that I had no other choice but to reach out and ask God for help. Like I said, for the past 15 months I have often thought God has abandoned me but I know deep down that's not true. I'm reminded of the poem Footprints In the Sand right now. All the hard times I thought I was walking through life alone, but God has been carrying me.

Please don't feel ashamed because you are questioning. I think it's natural and in the end all part of moving closer to God. Faith is the ultimate journey and we all take different paths at different speeds. Don't worry, you are indeed on a path and you too will get where you need to go.

Thanks, HandMeDown for the uplift.

I'm not ashamed of questioning. I just feel wrong to not trust God and love God after all He helped through. Because I'm so insistant that things go my way, and since God obviously won't ever compromise, and He would want me to follow His will and not mine, I kind of ignore Him. I practically argue with Him. And I think its wrong of me after He had been there for me when I needed Him most.

I know most people struggle with faith and no one really lives their day-to-day life according to God's Will. But I wish I could be brave enough to take that leap of faith and let God into my life more.

Thanks again!

Perle

I do know how you feel. Lately it seems not many things, if any at all have gone my way. And yes, it is very hard to trust God sometimes.

I don't think you have to feel wrong for having free will. The ability to decide what happens in our own lives is sort of a gift from God. I think it's sort of like He has a big plan for us but He lets us to explore a bit along the way. I kind of think of God as being like a parent that allows a child to run around, exploring the world, making choices and mistakes...and then being there to comfort us when we fall flat on our faces.

I was listening to a christian radio talkshow and someone called in and said something along the lines of:Everyone has doubts - you have doubts to have a healthy faith in God. To know that your faith in God is weak and to try and improve it is having faith.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to any of you, but it made me think a little. My faith in God isn't very strong, and it usually weakens during the week, then regains itself on Sundays... but I am forever trying to build a better relationship with God, and seeking the bible so that my faith will be stronger.

Since I'm only a youngun I don't really HAVE a journey to tell you guys. :( Are you going to share yours sulawesi?

oliveu2cm said:
I was raised Catholic & went to church every single sunday since I was born lol. But I hadn't learned for myself WHY I wanted to be there- I went b/c I had to.

Same here! :yes:

I recently found the answer for why I want to go there by my own choice instead of being forced to go, which is really nice. No longer do I feel like I am required to go, I feel more secure in the fact that if I decide not to go to church, I will be okay.

btw I was raised with a gramma that told us if we didnt go to church the devil will get us. And she to this day believes it for herself bc she was taught to believe that when she was growing up.:( which I think is really sad!!!

Last edited:
Wow-Hands I can relate to some of your struggles in life n' faith. I suppose the idea is that everyone, individually had to learn theirselves how to trust God in their lives. And as long as you are trying, no one should feel ashamed! After all, the Word says, "ask and ye Shall recieve, Seek and ye Shall find.."so I can truely believe God is Good.."and the rewarder of those that deligently seek Him.."!HE sin't holding Nothing back! Be Blessed!

Back
Top Bottom