what to do, what to do...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, a particular situation in my life in relationship to some friends has been (as Emeril might say) taken up a notch. I have two very dear friends, a man ("J") and a woman ("B") whom I've been heartsick over for a long time because of their living together lifestyle and the fact that J has been an "acolyte" (or whatever it is they call them) in the Masons (Freemasons) for a couple of years.

This Saturday, J is having his induction ceremony into the Masons as a "Worshipful Master" (how creepy is that title? :ohmy: ) and I got an invite to the ceremony and the big party afterward. However, I told B that I probably would *not* be attending the ceremony because I wasn't comfortable with the whole Freemason thing. She of course, thought I had lost my marbles, and was not too happy with me. But I have been reading about the Masons for several years, and as far as I can tell, they are a cult of sorts, with many of their traditions and actions being taken literally from the occult. I know they are a benevolent group, and do all sorts of charity work, but the very fact that they are a "secret society", use all types of oaths and incantations, use practices and traditions taken from many religions, and most of all, their belief that Christ is no greater than say, Buddha, or Mohammed, is ungodly, unbiblical and...just plain weird. And kind of scary.

I've been a Christian for several years, but I haven't been very bold in my walk, mostly because I don't want to offend my friends (the curse of the modern-day Christian! :scream: ). But I definitely feel that God is convicting me on this issue, and while I know it may hurt my friends who won't understand (esp. because to J, this is a *very* big deal and a great honor), I realize that *I* have to honor God above all, even if it makes me unpopular.

I guess maybe I'm just needing some guidance, assurance and LOTS of prayer about this.... :( Can anyone help?

thanks...

Last edited:
Well, I learned from Adventures in Odyssey :)sexywink: ) the other day, that if you think something is wrong (maybe it is and maybe it's not), and you still do it or participate in it, you have sinned.

I'm struggling with this myself - you want to be Christlike, and yet not participate in this kind of situation. It's hard, but I think as long as you are loving in your explanation in not wanting to take part in the 'festivities', then it's their problem if they can't understand that it makes you uncomfortable.

:hug:

i used to listen to adventures in odyssey while driving through the lonely mountains of PA.

i think freemasons aint such a good idea.

Discoteque said:
I realize that *I* have to honor God above all, even if it makes me unpopular.

My dear Disco, I'm not a Christian, so I wouldn't dream of even pretending to be able to help you there, but I think the part of your post I quoted can be a guideline for you. You should follow your heart on this one. Maybe this is the first step in walking the Walk you want to be able to walk. Congratulate J on his accomplishment (if you want), and then tell them that you won't be there.

A cult of nice people is still a cult. It sounds as if the Holy Spirit is prompting you to avoid associating with the crowd.

Martha summed it up nicely:

Congratulate J on his accomplishment (if you want), and then tell them that you won't be there

Last edited:
I think martha put it well. I don't know enough about the Masons to take a definitive stand on them nor to label them, but if you truly are not comfortable then you shouldn't go.

mmmm.. I agree. I don't know much about the mason's either, but i was asked to entertain a group of people like them (another sort of cult i presume). The guy that asked me was a really nice old bloke. I entered this room there and it immediately felt wrong. It was... creepy. There were all these symbols and mirrors and candles... after that I sort of swore to myself... and God... that I'd never ever do something for them again. Crusader said it.. a cult of nice people is still a cult... :huh:

Follow your heart.. and your gut feeling. God will lead you on this one...

Natzar, that's precisely my thoughts...it's just creepy.

UPDATE:

i called my friends last night because I didn't want to leave things hanging.

J was civil but short, and handed the phone to B, who said that she didn't want to talk about it because it would just make her angry and she wished that I could be more "open minded" about the Masons. Huh. So I said I'm sorry, but we have a difference in opinion over this, so have a great time, and we'll talk when it's all over.

So looks like I won't be going to the installation OR the party. And being open minded has nothing to do with this, actually. For me, it's obedience to God, what is truth and what is not. Another part of this is that a mutual friend who is also a Christian IS going to the installation/party, so that bothers me too. Part of me is like, *what* is she thinking?? But that's between she and the Lord, I guess; it's not for me to say.

This scripture keeps going thru my head:

Matthew 10:34-36
Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.

I've shed many tears over this because I love my friends, but I realize that as non-believers, they don't look at things the way I do. I do have peace about my decision, but I just wish it wasn't so painful...for all of us. I think this is going to take awhile to heal, unfortunately. :sad:

Last edited:
Masons and Freemasons, back in the day, were groups dedicated to subverting Christianity and their control over government. Of course, that was a couple hundred years ago and maybe they are no longer doing that, but that is where a lot of their traditions come from--a mockery of religion.

If you aren't comfortable with it, there is nothing that says that you have to support it. I agree; they still do come across to me as some creepy "secret society."

Melon

yeah.. you did the right thing. You really stood up and were obedient to God... something that I'm not so good at. :)

Back
Top Bottom