What does Adam believe? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 05:41 PM
What does Adam believe?

Hi All! I hope everything is well. I was wondering what exactly Adam believes. I know he isn't a "believer" like the other members, but what does this mean? Does he believe in Jesus at all? God? Is he agnostic? An atheist? Not being a "believer" is pretty vague in my mind. I can't find any clear answers, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ChildofGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Bono says, Adam is a believer.

Who knows?

Except Adam, God, and probably a few others...

BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 10:41 AM
What difference would it make?
Carek1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

When asked if all of them were believers, Bono said yes, and that Adam is the most "spiritually centered" of them all.

In my opinion, Adam seems a lot happier than he used to be. He seems to have changed for the better based on interviews, concerts, and other places I've seen him. Just watch his behavior on stage on the Boston DVD (just standing there looking blank) compared with the Chicago DVD (actually moving around, grinning at the cameras, and playing with Bono).
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Of course this makes perfect sense. Anyone whose life is balanced and who is centered will show it and look and be happier, healthier and it will show. Adam is a very dapper and classy individual. I have the utmost respect for him.
Carek1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel D.
When asked if all of them were believers, Bono said yes, and that Adam is the most "spiritually centered" of them all.
That sounds right, I believe being spiritually centered has nothing to do with being a "believer" or with any religion. I think ultimately it's all about being at peace with yourself and with being honest with yourself, having a healthy balance in your life- which Adam seems to have done. Conquering your "demons", whatever path you take in order to do that.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I've heard he's a believer, he just doesn't wear is faith on his sleeve like the others. He keeps it more private.
He does seem like a new man. He's the coolest.
coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

That sounds right, I believe being spiritually centered has nothing to do with being a "believer" or with any religion. I think ultimately it's all about being at peace with yourself and with being honest with yourself, having a healthy balance in your life- which Adam seems to have done. Conquering your "demons", whatever path you take in order to do that.
Bono said that Adam is a believer. That's the part that pretty much answers the question. And since Bono calls himself a believer when asked, I take that to mean that he and Adam believe the same thing.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:11 PM
My sense is that he's outside the loop of religious intensity the other guys are in. However, I hear he enjoys chocolate and tea, which can be a mighty spiritual experience in itself!
angelordevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think Adam is very spiritually centered, but not necessarily a Christian...have a pal who knows a bit about Buddhism who says he's shown signs of being into Buddhism...
Pop Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pop Artist
...have a pal who knows a bit about Buddhism who says he's shown signs of being into Buddhism...
The trance-like state while playing, and eternal smiling are dead giveaways. Plus the loose-fitting, almost pyjama-type stage clothes...that's like totally Buddhist.
angelordevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:19 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Quote:
The trance-like state while playing, and eternal smiling are dead giveaways. Plus the loose-fitting, almost pyjama-type stage clothes...that's like totally Buddhist.
Adam's had the way about him for awhile though. I think sobriety brought it out a lot more. I've been watching some concert videos and on stage, he seemed the happiest. Watch clips from Red Rocks if you can find them, that's one happy fella! *Youtube is great for this stuff!*

When asked about their interpretations of what 'All Because of You' could be about:

"All Because of You"
The Edge re-finds the Riff

Clayton: "It could be about God, it could be about your father or your friends. Or the audience."

The Edge: "Life would be so much simpler if you didn't know what you knew. I think it's about that, in a way."--Blender magazine.

I'm a Christian myself, and I'm always wearing loose-fitting clothes, not as nice as Adam's but definitely dress like that...even before getting into U2. I'm all about comfort over what's fashionably 'in.'
There's nothing quite like a comfy pair of cargo pants.
Buddhists don't believe in God though, at least that's what I learned in my religious studies course in college,.

Edge has more of the Zen thing going on, but that's just my .02

"Clayton, who alone has not announced formally for Christianity, says simply that for journalists 'religion was an easy angle, a hook to hang a story on. We all believe in much the same things but don't express ourselves in the same way.' This, along with Clayton's inborn rebellious instincts and up-tempo temperament, caused some intramural tension that has only lately been resolved. 'I was in the wilderness for a few years, so there was a natural antagonism within the band that people picked up on. Now the spirituality contained within the band is equal to all the members.'" Time "Rock's Hottest Ticket"

From Until...World pg. 480
"Do you think that you, Larry, and Edge are still on the same wavelength in your beliefs?" 'What about Adam?' Bono says quickly. 'Adam's the same. I mean, nobody is exactly the same, but Adam's a believer."

"Adam's a believer", coming from Bono, is the closest you get to an answer, unless Adam openly says other wise. For the most part, it's a term specifically relating to Christians. Other religions don't use the term for those who are part of that particular faith. I don't know of any other religions who use that term to its adherents but I could be mistaken.
thrillme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

I'm a Christian myself, and I'm always wearing loose-fitting clothes, not as nice as Adam's but definitely dress like that...even before getting into U2. I'm all about comfort over what's fashionably 'in.'
I'm not a clothing expert, but Adam's floral collarless shirts look distinctly Asian (possibly Thai), so that could be a clue.
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I remember hearing a radio interview, I think in New York, before ATYCLB was released and Bono, Larry and Edge were in the studio and Adam had to phone in because he was in India, I think, along the River Ganges where he was there for some religious/spiritual ceremony that occurs once a year where the people wash themselves in the river. And Bono saying that Adam was very "zen buddhist" these days and then it was cute, I remember Bono said, "Ahhh, our Adam. He's always had a bad case of the wanderlust. Moreso than the rest of us." This last comment just struck me as funny coming from Bono, who is notorious for just wandering off! hehehehe

I don't know if that's any help. Personally, I could totally see Adam being into Eastern religion.

Either way, really it's private for Adam and who he chooses to share his beliefs with. I admit it's interesting and fun for fans to discuss, but really none of our business.
FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

Adam's had the way about him for awhile though. I think sobriety brought it out a lot more. I've been watching some concert videos and on stage, he seemed the happiest. Watch clips from Red Rocks if you can find them, that's one happy fella! *Youtube is great for this stuff!*

When asked about their interpretations of what 'All Because of You' could be about:

"All Because of You"
The Edge re-finds the Riff

Clayton: "It could be about God, it could be about your father or your friends. Or the audience."

The Edge: "Life would be so much simpler if you didn't know what you knew. I think it's about that, in a way."--Blender magazine.

There's nothing quite like a comfy pair of cargo pants.
Buddhists don't believe in God though, at least that's what I learned in my religious studies course in college,.

Edge has more of the Zen thing going on, but that's just my .02

"Clayton, who alone has not announced formally for Christianity, says simply that for journalists 'religion was an easy angle, a hook to hang a story on. We all believe in much the same things but don't express ourselves in the same way.' This, along with Clayton's inborn rebellious instincts and up-tempo temperament, caused some intramural tension that has only lately been resolved. 'I was in the wilderness for a few years, so there was a natural antagonism within the band that people picked up on. Now the spirituality contained within the band is equal to all the members.'" Time "Rock's Hottest Ticket"

From Until...World pg. 480
"Do you think that you, Larry, and Edge are still on the same wavelength in your beliefs?" 'What about Adam?' Bono says quickly. 'Adam's the same. I mean, nobody is exactly the same, but Adam's a believer."

"Adam's a believer", coming from Bono, is the closest you get to an answer, unless Adam openly says other wise. For the most part, it's a term specifically relating to Christians. Other religions don't use the term for those who are part of that particular faith. I don't know of any other religions who use that term to its adherents but I could be mistaken.
Great post.

coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote