walking with Christ and Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopTart Pamela

Acrobat
Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
Last weekend I partipated in the Palm Sunday walk in support of refugees, peace and justice. Over 15,000 people participated in the rally, and even though I came down from the Blue Mountains on my own, I never at any time felt alone. Such a large body of like minded people walking as one for the poor and oppressed in the world was very moving - and for me it is where my Christian faith takes me, for as Bono has said - there is only one mention of judgement in the Bible and over 2000 references on the poor.
The walk was lead by various religious leaders, Christian and other faiths coming together in a common cause.
As I alternatively walked under the banners of the Sisters of St Joseph and Drop the Debt I just imagined Bono walking beside me arm in arm. It was a wonderful feeling, and made me realise how much he
has changed my life, bringing back my passion for a better world. I now belong to various groups at church and elswhere.
It was a great day, and on the home in the car i listened to ATYCLB- SO MOVING AND
INSPIRING.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Pamela

walk on, walk on

[This message has been edited by PopTart, Pamela (edited 03-29-2002).]

Never had such an experience, but I do really have good feelings about Bono these days. I used to think Bono was egotistical. However, in the last year or so, my estimation of the man has gone way up. I really admire him. Even though he seems to have artistic egotism, his heart is far from egotistic. I think he's rather selfless, to be honest. And even though I don't agree with all of his politics, I agree with his "politics of the heart". I think BONO should be Time's man of the year. I think he is truly doing a large part of what the Bible tells us to do; care for the sick and the poor and the needy.

I've never did a walk like that before Pamela, but I have to believe that the exilerating experience came from doing what you knew in your heart was right. I believe everything within us reacts when we reach out to the poor, the oppressed, and simply those less fortunate then us. We live in such a selfish society, that it really does make a profound difference in the people around us when they see unselfish kindness being expressed to them, or in your case, a cause that will help those in need. Thanks for sharing your story, and inspiring us again to do something each day that will make this world a better place for those all around us.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by PopTart, Pamela:
for as Bono has said - there is only one mention of judgement in the Bible and over 2000 references on the poor.

I was confused on first reading this quote by Bono. Question 1: Didn't Bono say Jesus only mentioned judgement once? Not the whole Bible right?
Question 2: I know this is not the only time that Jesus mentions judgement. In Matthew 13, he gives the parable of the wheat and the tares and says that the tares, who are the children of the devil, will be destroyed. I am wondering if maybe Bono meant this was the only time that Jesus referred to Hell and what it would be like or where Bono came up with his quote.

Please understand I am not trying to start an argument or a debate, I just am trying to clear up questions I have about Bono's statement.

I read the statemnt on the poor and judgement again and Bono uses the word judgement, so I have no answer to that question. He was talking to Jesse Helmes at the time and apparently reduced him to tears - which is what the other comments here did to me! thanks so much. I've been inspired to walk again later this year, probably on Amnesty Candle Sunday and for Jubilee Australia in October. I'm going to persuade my son to come with me next time.

Pamela

Walk on, walk on

Originally posted by ocu2fan:
I was confused on first reading this quote by Bono. Question 1: Didn't Bono say Jesus only mentioned judgement once?

I had to smile when I read that quote from him, there being *so* many references to judgment by Jesus, all through the Gospels. I think it's just Bono's typical enthusiastic hyperbole.

Perhaps there is some restricted way of defining the word in which the statement could be understood as accurate... referring only to sexual issues (which was the topic at hand)? referring only to our judgment of other people and not God's judgment? who knows....

Altho I think the spirit behind the quote is true: it's much more important to focus on serving others than on figuring out whether they are right or wrong.

Back
Top Bottom