Walk On - The Foreword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well as we wait for more people to receive their copies of Walk On, I thought we would go ahead and kick off discussion with the foreword to the book. Kind of a pre-discussion discussion. Lol. I have typed it up in its entirety (whew!) below for your reading pleasure:

As a devout Los Angeles Lakers fan, I was tuned into the first game of the 2001 NBA Championships when it was announced that U2 would be performing live during the halftime show. U2?s concert was in Boston while the game was being played in Los Angeles. When the cameras switched from one venue to the other, television viewers saw Bono praying on his knees.

"What can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out to me?" he said. "I lift high the cup of salvation as a toast to our Father. To follow through on the promise I made to you." The lead singer of arguably the most popular rock band on the planet was loosely reciting a prayer from Psalm 116 on national television.

In describing U2?s 2001 Elevation tour to Rolling Stone magazine, Bono said fans had told him they sensed "good vibrations at" the concerts. ?God is in the room," he reported, paused, and added, "more than Elvis. It feels like there?s a blessing on the band right now. People are saying they?re feeling shivers ? well, the band is as well. And I don?t know what that is, but it feels like God walking through the room, and it feels like a blessing, and in the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it?s not just about airplay or chart positions."

Are rock ?n? roll bands supposed to talk to Rolling Stone about blessings? Sacraments? God walking into the room? Why would this all sound so incredibly clich? coming from a well-scrubbed contemporary Christian rocker created by Nashville, yet actually sound sincere and authentic coming from a theatrical rock star?

Bono has the reputation as rock ?n? rolls? most effective and enigmatic spiritual provocateur ? rattling the souls of fans all over the globe. "I sometimes think I have a kind of Tourette?s syndrome where if you?re not supposed to say something, it becomes very attractive to do so," he once confessed. "You?re in a rock band ? what can?t you talk about? God? Ok, here we go. You?re supposed to write songs about sex and drugs. Well, no I won?t."

Most of the world is tired of being berated and tutored about social issues by spoiled and over-paid rock stars, yet we still give an audience to Bono whose heart bleeds with the best of them. Pope John Paul II wanted to wear his sunglasses when they met. Arch-conservative senator Jesse Helms cried when he heard Bono describe the plight of hungry children in Africa. Bono has done more single-handedly to relieve Third World debt than all the Armani-clad finance ministers that could be packed into a United Nations conference room. He has mysterious charisma, an unpretentious grace that affords him the ability to be the only one wearing sunglasses indoors without coming off as a megalomaniac. Would one dare to say he had an anointing to be a rock star?

It seems as though there is a riddle to unwrapping the significance, relevance and longevity of U2. Very little is ever predictable about their next sound. They never seem to follow rock ?n? roll?s party line. They seem to be in the MTV world, but not of it. There is an underground river of depth that rolls through the tracks of U2?s recordings. They make you think and invite you to imagine.

For more than twenty years, U2 has done their part to puncture the power of nihilism and hopelessness by pointing listeners to a transcendent reality of heaven, hell, angels, demons, deliverance, redemption, grace, and peace. Their lyrics unfold a world beyond the things that can merely be seen and rationally grasped. The music is not a simplistic mish-mash of yummy lyrics about skipping with Jesus through fields of daisies. Instead, their songs wrestle with pain and frustration without catering to hopelessness.

In this book, Steve Stockman has been a faithful interpreter of the spiritual trek of the members of U2. There is very little garden-variety evangelicalism (in the North American sense of the word) found in the members of the band. They drink, smoke, swear and wear leather pants. But there is a hefty and poetic theological substance that I think would startle St. Paul and would bring a smile to the Psalmist. This rock ?n? roll band is committed to social justice and eternal truth. In this day and age, that is no small luxury.

For those willing to take the time to look, popular music is brimming with songs of spiritually energized quests; some worth avoiding, but many worth engaging. Artists and fans alike have seen what is on the world?s buffet table and are still growling with hunger pains. Stockman does a tremendous service to those who follow Jesus, as well as those who aren?t travelling that path. To those who count themselves among the faithful, Stockman will help you open the eyes of your soul to intellectually and spiritually engage the music that touches the deepest part of what it means to be human. To those who do not consider themselves believers, this book will go a long way in helping explain why U2?s music seems to scratch an unidentifiable itch.

When I saw U2 during their most recent tour, I was amazed at how often I felt the presence of God in the arena. Granted, I am a U2 fan and not a terribly objective rock critic. Nevertheless, God used the opportunity to speak to me throughout the night. Not being a well-attuned mystic, I was rather surprised. The culmination of the evening was the final encore. After thanking "the Almighty" numerous times, Bono began singing the word hallelujah over and over and over again. This rather contagious melody and message rang throughout the audience?s soul. Soon, it seemed as though all 16,000 fans in the arena were singing the song with Bono. This one word, hallelujah ? praise ye the Lord. With that, they walked off the stage.

The great theologian George Eldon Ladd used to press the point that the Kingdom of God was already and not yet; some of the ramifications of the Kingdom are being realized now, while some will not be manifest until the Second Coming. As I sang the word hallelujah over and over with the audience, I felt as though, just for a moment, I had been caught up in the rapturous not yet.

As the band was just starting off many years ago, Bono wrote the following words to his father, who just recently passed away: "[God] gives us our strength and a joy that does not depend on drink or drugs. This strength will, I believe, be the quality that will take us to the top of the music business. I hope our lives will be a testament to the people who follow us, and to the music business where never before have so many lost and sorrowful people gathered in one place pretending they?re having a good time. It is our ambition to make more than good music."

It seems as though that ambition continues to be fulfilled.

-Steve Beard

I have little to add to this as I want to open it up to discussion. But what I did want to point out was the mention to the idea of "God being in the room" during the Elevation tour. Some of you may know this, some may not, but there is a bootleg recording of the very last rehearsal the band did before the Elevation Tour kicked off in Miami last year. After the band is done running through the songs, Bono invites a friend of theirs, a minister from Dublin, Jack Easlip, to come up on stage and say a blessing on the tour. He also invites everyone from the crew and stage people to come down around the front if they?d like to partake. Easlip then proceeds to read from the Psalms, in fact that very passage that we all have heard Bono quoting during Streets. Easlip says:
Next time we hear this music, it struck me there will be people everywhere, which will transform everything. And that a great deal about what I feel this tour is what is gonna happen to the people who come here, who are gonna be touched by this album and who have already been touched by the album and the albums over the years. So, I thought of a Psalm, Psalm 61 which has pretty pretentious words, but then they were used by Jesus himself about himself, so I suppose we could do no better than that really. And it just starts "The spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor." And I felt that what we want God to do tonight is to pour his anointing. Now that?s not just a dab on the forehead, that?s a rich anointing of his oil. We are told the oil would flow down from the top of your head and in my case into your beard and down your front to make a mess. And that?s the richness of God?s anointing. And what I felt that God wanted me to do today was to pour out in his name that anointing on everything to do with this tour: everybody and everything. We think of the band, but we think of every piece of equipment and everyone who works that piece of equipment. Everyone who backs up, everyone who drives a car, everyone who does the catering, everyone who is responsible for technology, every joint of wire, every plug, every socket, every light. So we ask for that anointing to be poured out by the power of his Spirit. So we simply say, ?Come holy Spirit and reign. Pour out your rule and anointing on this tour. Let nothing be an obstacle. Just melt away anything that is not of you, so that your power can flow without interruption. And we claim your blessing and your anointing because we ask it in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.? Psalm 116 has a nice response. The question is "how do you respond to the blessing of God." And the answer is "Celebrate! And drink a toast to God." So?to God!

I don?t know about you, but I definitely felt something move in my heart during each Elevation show I went to. And hearing those words be prayed over the band, the tour and the album?it never fails to give me an eerie sense of d?j? vu. Because in a way, that prayer was for me! And I felt it answered. And that...well that makes me think twice about mysterious ways.

-sula

In describing U2?s 2001 Elevation tour to Rolling Stone magazine, Bono said fans had told him they sensed "good vibrations at" the concerts. "God is in the room," he reported, paused, and added, "more than Elvis. It feels like there?s a blessing on the band right now. People are saying they?re feeling shivers ? well, the band is as well. And I don?t know what that is, but it feels like God walking through the room, and it feels like a blessing, and in the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it?s not just about airplay or chart positions."

In reading this excerpt above, I realized for myself that I often sensed God in the arenas from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Oakland where I had the privelege of seeing U2 on this tour. I have to admit that I fought this feeling at first. It just seemed to be out of place from what I had known as far as places where I had sensed God's presence. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized is that is exactly where God would desire to walk among, even more so than many churches with its pious hypocrites, or with Christians who always have His presence in their lives. God would want to walk among the hurting, the hopeless, and those who would never know what it is like to feel the presence of the Almighty, to sense His touch, and blessing on 17,000 people who would simply come to hear a rock and roll show, but would be unaware of the blessing that U2 asked for themselves and their fans at the beginning of the Elevation tour.

I think for now, I'll just state this much of my thoughts until I can digest more of the forward, but I look forward to hearing from each one of you who have read, or will be reading this book. I feel a good vibe in this forum...maybe like God walking through the room.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-07-2002).]

I will only speak of my experience. In Buffalo, I could certainly feel a certain chill up my spine, especially with uplifting ATYCLB songs. However, I had a difficult time dealing with the 9/11 attacks (I could not cry) and when I saw U2 on Tribute to Heroes, I knew in order for me to start dealing with my grief I needed to see U2 again. I went against most of my friends' advice and definitely against my husband's will. But, when I saw U2 in Hamilton on 10/13 I went to a wake and funeral mass where God and the Spirit were present. I looked up into the rafters and the Canadian flag lay still and the Stars and Stripes was blowing all over the place. I cried and yelled, and thanked God for the chance to confront my grief in U2's blessed presence. I truly feel there was God's presence on the tour, and judging from the band's reactions to certain shows, they agree.

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

sula, we were going to wait a few weeks while everyone got their copies...but I'm anxious to get into this myself
smile.gif
. Maybe we won't go on till more people are ready?

I have those recordings! I'm listening to it now
smile.gif
. Thanks for transcribing that prayer! I'm going to have to go have a talk with that priest...I really am not an expert on the bible here, but I checked and it's not Psalm 61, it's Isaiah 61. Well it was late at night
smile.gif
. "Let nothing be an obstacle. Just melt away anything that is not of you." wow

We were standing right outside the arena when that was happening! You know I went to that first concert wearing my little Christian tee shirt I made (you might be able to see it at www.cafepress.com/j333 if the site is still there) just praying God would touch everyone, cause I know He's touched me at U2 concerts. But to find out the whole tour had a blessing on it, you have to see God working there.

I just praise God for answering prayer! Hallelujah! I was thrilled to read that quote in RS, that Bono felt "God in the room"...at the time I didn't know about the blessing. I think Bono said Psalm 116 more and more strongly through the tour, that he was a little less afraid to make a "religious" statement. He said it at the Lakers game, as mentioned in the forward, can you believe that?

I won't comment anymore (yet), except one question: what do you all think of music being a "sacrament" (as Bono said above) which means some kind of religious rite such as the Eucharist (fulfilling the covenant with Christ) or baptism? Do you feel you've participated in that deep of an experience at an Elevation concert, and considering the blessing was of Christ, does that make the sacrament Christian or does it remain simply spiritual? Is all music a sacrament, or only some?

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 01-07-2002).]

Wow, I agree with you guys as well. I believe God was 'in the house' at the Vegas and LA3 shows I attended....it was a feeling that was so joyful, it was almost...primeval. A pure happiness I hadn't felt in...well, perhaps never. Perhaps never since the first U2 show I saw 14 years ago (where I can still recall the giddy feeling I felt at the show, even tho up in the 'nosebleeds').

While I wasn't overcome with emotion to the degree that I'd heard some people were, at the LA3 show, at the end of Walk On when they launched into the 'halleluja' ending (which I really wish they'd put on the album!), I found myself compelled to close my eyes, turn my face up, and raise my hands--and my voice--to the heavens in praise along with the band...I literally could not help myself! I have only experienced truly magical experiences like that less than half a dozen times in my life....I think the 3 shows I went to are now half of those.

After those experiences, I then experienced the PED that I'd also heard about....real life slapped me in the face, and was literally in a depression for a couple of weeks after I got home.

I LOVE this bit, Chris, and I wholeheartedly agree:

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized is that is exactly where God would desire to walk among, even more so than many churches with its pious hypocrites, or with Christians who always have His presence in their lives. God would want to walk among the hurting, the hopeless, and those who would never know what it is like to feel the presence of the Almighty, to sense His touch, and blessing on 17,000 people who would simply come to hear a rock and roll show, but would be unaware of the blessing that U2 asked for themselves and their fans at the beginning of the Elevation tour.

AMEN to that!

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 01-07-2002).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:

While I wasn't overcome with emotion to the degree that I'd heard some people were, at the LA3 show, at the end of Walk On when they launched into the 'halleluja' ending (which I really wish they'd put on the album!), I found myself compelled to close my eyes, turn my face up, and raise my hands--and my voice--to the heavens in praise along with the band...I literally could not help myself!

lol, disco I did this too at same point in the Oakland 2 show, right down there in the heart, and I never do the charismatic thing, your straight-laced Presbyterian here. Couldn't help it, the Spirit was there!
*raises hands* wooo!

Well,I've not got the book yet,but I did just order it from Amazon!
I'm really excited to start a discussion group on here about it....

What I can say about feeling the spirit move at a U2 show is this.....I saw them in Columbus in May and I was so moved and felt the room being moved,but I dismissed it , because it had been a long time since I had seen them...and I figured it was just pure EXCITEMENT !!!
Then Sept. 11th happened and I saw them in South Bend about a month later and the experience was so amazing.
The place was intimate to begin with and there was such a feeling of coming together in the room.....
At the end of the concert when the time came for Walk On and Bono introduced the NYPD and FDNY guys to the whole room singing halleluja I started to weep and then started to shout and then ...well if I've ever been moved by the spirit it was then.....I felt cleansed I felt pure love I felt GOD in that small auditorium that night....It was more than music...it was holy.
Just ask the boy sitting beside me he could'nt have been more than 20, a student there,no doubt, and he had tears pouring out of his eyes too.
I do believe the hand of God is on this band , like no time before.

Wow! Thanks sula! I'm printing it off as I type this...I'm going to read it this afternoon and be back tonight for comments...Thanks for all the work!

PS. I'm so excited for your suprise! I actually can't wait to get back to school now! LOL never thought I'd say THAT!

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Thanks, sula, for your dedication to this -- typing all of that out, and I'm sure, more to come!
I wasn't gonna read this thread 'til I'd read the book, but I stumbled in via sula's link elsewhere about Psalm 116, and BOY, and I glad I did!
I'd heard about Father Heaslip's blessing at that rehearsal, but I got shivers actually reading what he said. It must be amazing to hear it.

I, too, was much moved spiritually by Elevation. I wrote elsewhere that I had an epiphany that night: in that huge, loving energy, we DO have all we need to change the world. That I have all I need, right here in my heart, to change the world. I was in awe. Of course I expected to be moved or inspired -- it's U2
wink.gif
But not like that. I didn't expect it to be...one great HALLELUJAH! which it was, on a completely other level than I've experienced music before.

DebbieSG, you said
I won't comment anymore (yet), except one question: what do you all think of music being a "sacrament" (as Bono said above) which means some kind of religious rite such as the Eucharist (fulfilling the covenant with Christ) or baptism? Do you feel you've participated in that deep of an experience at an Elevation concert, and considering the blessing was of Christ, does that make the sacrament Christian or does it remain simply spiritual? Is all music a sacrament, or only some?

I do believe music is ... of the spirit. Yes, there is dark music, as there are dark spirits. I think it enters the realm of "sacrament" whenever the music, in whatever fashion, affirms life. That can include punk and grunge, that can even include metal!
biggrin.gif
Kurt Cobain sang about great pain...because he longed for joy. Can't say much for the Sex Pistols, but the Clash and the Ramones, that whole ethos, sought to throw off the cosmetic conformity of "decency" to get to the raw reality of being ALIVE -- to "touch the flame"!

Actually, that can be said of the birth of rock itself...the "devil's music." Only because it had the body in it, it had rhythm. Punk's "sin" was to be angry. Art is a sacrament when it strives to reconnect with the Eternal, with Life.

Umm...I'll stop now.
rolleyes.gif

peace,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

[This message has been edited by truecoloursfly (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:
...at the LA3 show, at the end of Walk On when they launched into the 'halleluja' ending (which I really wish they'd put on the album!), I found myself compelled to close my eyes, turn my face up, and raise my hands--and my voice--to the heavens in praise along with the band...I literally could not help myself! I have only experienced truly magical experiences like that less than half a dozen times in my life....I think the 3 shows I went to are now half of those.

Couldn't have said it better - I feel exactly the same way. That part of the show sent chills up my spine each and every time. Here I was, hands in the air, singing Hallelujia with 19,000 other people, and I'm sure not all of them were Christians... how can you deny the power of that song? That music? Man.

<---- misses being "Elevated"

smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

cool..i'm not so crazy afterall

I also felt His presence at an Elevation show. To be honest the whole 3rd leg Dallas show felt to me like a 2 hour log prayer, but one particular experience I had during one especially stays with me. It was during one, and I was seeing the show with my best childhood friend who I hadn't seen in and year and a half and also coincidentally became a hardcore u2 fan during her first year of university..back in 1997. As I held her hand and took in the music I felt stragely light and warm and feeling led for some reason to do so, I reached out to a fan's hand next to me and sang one. Ever since the tragedy I've been told to love my neighbors..and I have known this with my head..but I hadn't been able to make a heart connection..until that night. That night I made a heart discovery about who my neighbors are..as I prayed with my best friend and 19.000 other fans to "hear us coming" and hear us knocking"..and watched the names of hundreds of my neigbors who died on Sept 11
frown.gif
...I felt connected..to God and my fellow man..for the first time in a good while...I am very thankful I had the chance to experience this tour.

in the name of love,
Megan

Wow this is making my heart beat fast and i'm all jumbly! thanks sula for typing those out for pl who don't have the book yet.

I've never heard that boot you were speaking of- I was awed to read the words of that Preacher!! I'll NEVER forget reading that RS, i know - it's the last column on the bottom right, and bono says that bit about "God being in the room" and i read that and this was wayyy before Boston (my first show) and I got SO incredibly excited. Which of course makes it even MORE amazing that I wasn't even 1/2 prepared for the show I received. Incredible.

During Streets on Boston 2- indeed, the one that went live to NBA & the DVD, I felt it. I'll never forget it. Bono ran by me and I wanted to THROW my arms up, after watching him at the tip, with ALL THOSE PEOPLE and the lights- and the ONLY thing I could think to say was AMEN. I was surprising even myself! But it's the onlly thing, and numerous times during their shows I have just stopped to thank God for letting me there. I could seriously feel Him in that arena that night especially- i could *feel* it, and I dont know how to describe it, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I won't comment anymore (yet), except one question: what do you all think of music being a "sacrament" (as Bono said above) which means some kind of religious rite such as the Eucharist (fulfilling the covenant with Christ) or baptism? Do you feel you've
participated in that deep of an experience at an Elevation concert, and considering the blessing was of Christ, does that make the sacrament Christian or does it remain simply spiritual? Is all music a sacrament, or only some?
Deb this is SUCH an interesting question. Considering there are 7 Sacraments, does what Bono's refering to fall under one category? I'd definitely say no, not even in church have I had an experience like that one I mentioned above. Maybe only one other time, when I was heavily involved in some spiritual matters, but that's it.

Does that make the sacrament Christian... Well, I believe their music doesn't just come from them, the way they believe it too. Not saying their music could ever come from someone else- U2 are U2! but they were "chosen" or whatever you want to say it, this is coming out wrong, but i guess overall i'm trying to say yes, I think it's a Christian sacrament- b/c of all things, Christ was human. And I think therein lies the foundation of what U2 are: exploring, examining, celebrating, mourning, revealing that human spirit in each of us.

And no, I don't think all music does this. Maybe all music is a "sacrament" in the sense of giving to something, revealing yourself.. (although, i don't think ALL music is by a far shot) but only U2's would I say encompasses the entire meaning of that word.

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
Wow this is making my heart beat fast and i'm all jumbly!
biggrin.gif
olive! Me too.

I'll NEVER forget reading that RS, i know - it's the last column on the bottom right, and bono says that bit about "God being in the room" and i read that and this was wayyy before Boston (my first show) and I got SO incredibly excited. Which of course makes it even MORE amazing that I wasn't even 1/2 prepared for the show I received. Incredible.
I read it right AFTER my Elevation show, which had knocked me sideways with its unexpected power, and...I got SO incredibly excited
wink.gif
I remember exactly where I was standing -- at work, one of those happy visitations of your "real" life to your workplace. 'Bono -- what are YOU doing here??'

During Streets on Boston 2- indeed, the one that went live to NBA & the DVD, I felt it. I'll never forget it. Bono ran by me and I wanted to THROW my arms up, after watching him at the tip, with ALL THOSE PEOPLE and the lights- and the ONLY thing I could think to say was AMEN. I was surprising even myself! But it's the onlly thing, and numerous times during their shows I have just stopped to thank God for letting me there. I could seriously feel Him in that arena that night especially- i could *feel* it, and I dont know how to describe it, so I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I'm glad to hear from someone who was there. You know, after the discussions we've been having on here, and looking at Stocki's writing, I'm seeing and feeling something a little different...The band's faith has always been veiled (if lightly) in public, and their message always an intensely private thing for me -- i.e. my "conversation" with them about God. Now here we are (and the good Rev. Stockman) talking about it explicitly...I feel like I'm seeing inside their hearts, personally, not only creatively (sorry if I'm rambling)... so last night, when I watched the DVD, I was of course overwhelmed yet again by Streets: I just shake my head like a grinnin' fool as I watch Edge and Adam smile so joyfully...and then, this time, when Bono ( who has also obviously been moved by the force in the room) kneels at the end, and bows his head for a long moment -- this time, I saw what a private moment that was for him. Sometimes, he kneels in collective prayer and thanks with his audience, and there was something of that here; but truly, I see him in surrender and humility, "Thank you for this moment, Lord. I know this is yours."
What can I give back to God...indeed.

in awe & gratitude myself,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by foray:
I wish I had the chance to see them on this Elevation Tour.

foray

me too

but aside from that, i really liked the foreword, It does sound like it sets the book up nicely...now i just sit here and wait for my copy...............

*stares blankly, moelike*

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 01-11-2002).]

foray, brettig...I share the same feeling with you guys.

sula, thank you for all your effort on typing the foreword of the Steve Stockman's book...I'm still waiting for my copy.

This weekend I intend to translate the text to be sent to local lists...so that it will be acessible for my people here. It's a great piece.

Back
Top Bottom