Vertigo's overlooked lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kerrylives

The Fly
Like most of you I guess I’ve read the various interpretations we fans have of Vertigo’s lyrics. With a growing fascination I might say, because as always one can clearly distinguish the division into two camps: the secular one and the spiritual one. (Which, again, is very typical for U2 fans.)
Personally I try to approach any new U2 song with an open mind, but I can't help finding myself being drawn to the spiritual side over and over again. I can clearly see how many U2 songs are loaded with spiritual / biblical references, oftentimes somewhat hidden between and rather cleverly interwoven with the “normal” (read: secular) lyrics, but very much present never the same. I think it’s done that way on purpose, but that’s a whole different story.
Back now to Vertigo. I’ve seen some very plausible biblical explanations around here: about Satan tempting Christ, taking Him to great heights (causing Vertigo) to show Him the kingdoms of the earth which he offered in return for His soul. (“All of this can be yours, just give me what I want.”)
Reading the song’s lyrics placed online on website’s / in posting etc. it struck me that many simply leave out the words sung after the chorus is heard for the second time. (Starting at 1:47 into the song to be precise.) The few sites / people who do list these three lines (like atu2 for instance) make this of it: “shot dead, shots fall, show me, yeah”.
This however is not what I make of it at all, especially the second line. I don’t hear “shots fall” being sung, not even remotely. Instead I can hear Bono sing “Jezebel”. (Try to check it for yourself: isolate the sound on the right channel (which has no guitar) and you can hear it rather clearly.)
But why would Bono sing about Jezebel? And who was this person to begin with? Let me help you: She was the wife of king Ahab of Israel. Jezebel was a fierce worshipper of Baal, she was known for idolatry and witchcraft and was killing off the Lord’s prophets. We know her best from the story of her confrontation with the prophet Elijah, in which he caused the death of 450 prophets of Baal. (See1st and 2nd Samuel and 1 Kings.)
Besides being a long gone pagan queen from the Old Testament, the Jezebel spirit is still around today and something to be reckoned with. Most often this phenomenon is referred to simply as the Jezebel Spirit. It has everything to do with what the apostle Paul states in Ephesians 6: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
There’s much more to it, but I will leave it here for now. Google around on the internet to find more information on the Jezebel Spirit matter.

“He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” Let me just add to that I hope I’ve heard it right in Vertigo’s case.

Danny

I'm not sure what a "Jezebel Spirit" is, as there is no such biblical reference. The reference to Jezebel, however, is interesting.

The story of Naboth's vineyard (1 Kings 21) could be the source of this reference. Ahab wanted Naboth's vineyard, but Naboth refused to sell as it was family land and the sale would violate the Law. Ahab went home and pouted. His wife, Jezebel, told Ahab that he would get the vineyard. She found two false witnesses who testified that Naboth "cursed both God and king". Naboth was stoned. After Naboth was stoned, Jezebel went to Ahab and told him to take possession of the vineyard.

Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt.

Ridiculous! You are barely thirty something. Check your hearing please! Jezebel? the exact sounds from his voice are " cha - az - aball " or " she has a ball ".

Last edited:
kerrylives said:
Like most of you I guess I’ve read the various interpretations we fans have of Vertigo’s lyrics. With a growing fascination I might say, because as always one can clearly distinguish the division into two camps: the secular one and the spiritual one. (Which, again, is very typical for U2 fans.)
Personally I try to approach any new U2 song with an open mind, but I can't help finding myself being drawn to the spiritual side over and over again. I can clearly see how many U2 songs are loaded with spiritual / biblical references, oftentimes somewhat hidden between and rather cleverly interwoven with the “normal” (read: secular) lyrics, but very much present never the same. I think it’s done that way on purpose, but that’s a whole different story.
Back now to Vertigo. I’ve seen some very plausible biblical explanations around here: about Satan tempting Christ, taking Him to great heights (causing Vertigo) to show Him the kingdoms of the earth which he offered in return for His soul. (“All of this can be yours, just give me what I want.”)
Reading the song’s lyrics placed online on website’s / in posting etc. it struck me that many simply leave out the words sung after the chorus is heard for the second time. (Starting at 1:47 into the song to be precise.) The few sites / people who do list these three lines (like atu2 for instance) make this of it: “shot dead, shots fall, show me, yeah”.
This however is not what I make of it at all, especially the second line. I don’t hear “shots fall” being sung, not even remotely. Instead I can hear Bono sing “Jezebel”. (Try to check it for yourself: isolate the sound on the right channel (which has no guitar) and you can hear it rather clearly.)
But why would Bono sing about Jezebel? And who was this person to begin with? Let me help you: She was the wife of king Ahab of Israel. Jezebel was a fierce worshipper of Baal, she was known for idolatry and witchcraft and was killing off the Lord’s prophets. We know her best from the story of her confrontation with the prophet Elijah, in which he caused the death of 450 prophets of Baal. (See1st and 2nd Samuel and 1 Kings.)
Besides being a long gone pagan queen from the Old Testament, the Jezebel spirit is still around today and something to be reckoned with. Most often this phenomenon is referred to simply as the Jezebel Spirit. It has everything to do with what the apostle Paul states in Ephesians 6: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
There’s much more to it, but I will leave it here for now. Google around on the internet to find more information on the Jezebel Spirit matter.

“He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” Let me just add to that I hope I’ve heard it right in Vertigo’s case.
Danny

OMG that's fascinating--that you delve so deep into it~and that's one of the things I've been looking for~ as I've heard that prophecy and music unite (of course Love is ALL-Supreme) Gifts will expire but I know that U2 have a correlation with some one that they used (a girl) as their inspiration, and I am wondering if she's ever come foreward--who might she be?
Have they acknowledged this girl that they used for inspiration?
I have read a book that mentions her--about the lyrics.
Actually, (to be brutally honest), I think I might have met them before they were famous, but before contacting them I would appreciate some clarification. I think the book is about the lyrics. They mention a girl. I wonder if I am she. Sounds crazy, I know and I wouldn't bring this up, exept I have no where else to go...
I know music and prophecy co-exist in the bible and all the lyrics that I have match my life which is bizarre, hence, I think it's bizarre.
go figure,.
Yeah and then I remember being part of a 'study' when i was around 18 years old (actually, THAT summer) and a whole weekend went missing...afterwards I had subtleties where I knew SOMETHING transpired. As far as ... I was a great writer in High School but totally into selfishness. I didn't have the courage to step above and beyond. Just wanted to die, literally. But I know something happened in my 18th year, just out of High School and I was mad about it. Wouldn't even try to pursue a potentially lucrative career-- I was alway told that money was "the root of all evil" therefore I had a healthy aversion to it-- not to mention my disdain for "worldly" pursuits. So I believed that I had met alot of "movers and shakers" and songs kept coming up on the radio that i recognized...it was very confusing. Didn't want to deal with it. I tried to delve into the whole religion thing and ignore popular culture. I wondered about U2 when I was 22 or so--wrote them 2 letters but I moved and left no forwarding address. I know I was mad. It's weird. I've had a weird upbringing too. I wonder if this is all imagination or if I should find out who that girl was.
I believed that I was a "trendsetter" and had been part of a psychological study called an "interview"... sounds weird but I have no one to talk to about this. I think I might be right but still feel insane.

Last edited:
Gosh, I hope I'm not Jezebel. F:censored: wouldn't that be the shi:censored: and...never mind.
I really fu:censored: think this and have no one to tell.
Not particularly entranced by it either, since it's all by faith. Obviously, if I chose this and am (First) as people at church have told me, I am not the best vessel in the world. Of course my attitude should be extreme gratefulness for being saved at all. Instead I am b:censored: about the type of vessel I am! Eeewww. I know it's unappealing...

I am Not going to write in any other thread, so feel free to respond and I will delate the previous response. It's too weird and absurd--I failed to mention my dear husband who I cannot tell this too, as he is NOT musically inclined and CERTAINLY does NOT know scripture whatsoever. He's just trying to get to heaven by works alone. I am TRYING to be an example and share scripture as the H.S. inspires, but believe me--it ain't easy.

Back
Top Bottom