Unknown Caller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltcf

The Fly
I put this on songmeaning dot net. What do you think?

My interpretations of the song:

This is a beautiful worship song portraying an intimate experience with God.

The song is nonlinear. It is looking back at an event with narration spliced through the event. It's easier to understand by regrouping the lyrics. Everything Bono sings solo is the main character of the song narrating or recalling his state previous to the event. The Bono/Edge harmony is the character of God. God’s words are nonlinear also. The character is retelling them in a different order.

The soft opening, bird sounds, and Sunshine, Sunshine is the present time. The character wakes with new meaning seeing the Light (Light of Christ, John 8:12) in a new way.

Bono solo/recalling the character's situation.

I was lost (these three words give all the meaning. He was lost. Isaiah 53:6) between the midnight and the dawning
In a place of no consequence or company
3:33 when the numbers fell off the clock face (the call from God comes at 3:33 Jeremiah 33:3)
Speed dialing with no signal at all

I was right there at the top of the bottom (he was stuck in the middle of nowhere)
On the edge of the known universe where I wanted to be (he didn’t exactly realize he was lost or stuck, he thought he was where he wanted to be)
I had driven to the scene of the accident
And I sat there waiting for me (his life was out of control and he was about to crash)

Words of God:

(first grouped by the technical metaphor, then the rest)

Force quit (This Macintosh metaphor is a poetic masterpiece. Force quit in Mac language is the method to quit a program that is out of control and can’t be stopped the normal way. It needs a different kind of intervention. God is doing a force quit on this guy’s life.) and move to trash (Mac language for delete. God is deleting the man’s life. Isaiah 1:18)
Restart and re-boot yourself (John 3:3, 2 Cor 5:17)
Password, you enter here, right now
You know your name so punch it in

Go, shout it out, rise up
Escape yourself, and gravity
Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak, Shush now (You’ve been so busy doing your own things to hear me before. Stop and listen.)
You're free to go
Shout for joy if you get the chance (Psalm 40:3. This is a U2 theme. They have been shouting the joy of God and redemption throughout their time in the spotlight. Gloria, 40, October, WTSHNN Elevation tour version, Yahweh.)
Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak
Shush now
Don't move or say a thing (Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.)

The last part of the song is the best. My interpretation is that the message we hear in the lyrics of the song is “be quiet so I can teach you” and the generic message “leave your old life and start a new life in me”, but there is much more after the lyrics end. After God speaks the final words of “Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak, Shush now, don't move or say a thing”, the song goes right into non-lyrical music as if it is a continuation of the lyrics. I believe U2 is using music as a way to imply spiritual communication (Ephesians 5:19, see U2’s interpretation of the Holy Ghost in The First Time “She got soul, soul, soul, sweet soul. And she teach me how to sing”).

The music starts out with beautiful organ/cathedral style music and then moves into an amazing Edge guitar solo, as if the meaning and feeling God is speaking is too beautiful to put into words and instead is portrayed by music over the final minute and half of the song.

After reading UAME's explanation of the "My Savior's Love" I added this.
addendum

I just discovered the final 1:30 of the song including Edge's guitar solo is taken from the hymn "My Savior's Love". This adds even more meaning to the song. This implies an alternate interpretation for the final 1:30. This could be cutting back to the present retelling of the account and is the character's answer and expression of God's admonition: "Shout for joy if you get the chance."

The words of that hymn:

I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene,
And wonder how He could love me,
A sinner, condemned, unclean.

Refrain
O how marvelous! O how wonderful!
And my song shall ever be:
Is my Savior's love for me!

For me it was in the garden
He prayed: “Not My will, but Thine.”
He had no tears for His own griefs,
But sweat drops of blood for mine.

In pity angels beheld Him,
And came from the world of light
To comfort Him in the sorrows
He bore for my soul that night.

He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calvary,
And suffered and died alone.

When with the ransomed in glory
His face I at last shall see,
'Twill be my joy through the ages
To sing of His love for me.

Great analysis, ltcf! As I answered in my thread, I don't have any concrete evidence of the hymn, but I KNOW that's what I'm hearing.

If I'm being honest with myself, I must admit that I don't really prefer the lyrical or singing style used in the chorus of this song. However, the music and the message have quickly made this one of my favorites on the album, and it's moving up my all-time U2 list, too. I love it more with every listen.

My wife had an interesting idea on a possible interpretation. She hasn't been exposed to any other conversations about possible meanings, just listening to the album for the past few days.

She proposed that the "3:33" might also be in reference to Christ's crucifixion. It seems that some scholars believe that Jesus probably died on the cross late in the afternoon, around 3:00. My wife thought the "Force quit / Move to trash" could be God deleting the sin of the world.

I don't know how well the metaphor fits the whole song, but I thought it was a pretty cool take.

My wife had an interesting idea on a possible interpretation. She hasn't been exposed to any other conversations about possible meanings, just listening to the album for the past few days.

She proposed that the "3:33" might also be in reference to Christ's crucifixion. It seems that some scholars believe that Jesus probably died on the cross late in the afternoon, around 3:00. My wife thought the "Force quit / Move to trash" could be God deleting the sin of the world.

I don't know how well the metaphor fits the whole song, but I thought it was a pretty cool take.

I like that. I think the force quit/move to trash is a beautiful metaphor for the atonement, whether looked at in aggregate as your wife suggests or in an individual's life.

Force quit (This Macintosh metaphor is a poetic masterpiece. Force quit in Mac language is the method to quit a program that is out of control and can’t be stopped the normal way. It needs a different kind of intervention. God is doing a force quit on this guy’s life.) and move to trash (Mac language for delete. God is deleting the man’s life. Isaiah 1:18)
Restart and re-boot yourself (John 3:3, 2 Cor 5:17)

Thanks for this - I'm not familiar with Mac talk (being a PC person). Also I found your interpretation very interesting and reasonable.

I don't think it is even possible to explain what this song makes me feel like! To me personally, it is a sign of acknowledgement that what I have had to do in my life these past few years has been the right thing.

That may sound corny, but I have always been a person who needs a "sign", and I sure was begging for one these past few weeks. I almost couldn't breathe after hearing this for the first time.

Thank you, Bono...thank you God!

The only problem with this song is that U2 is using mac lingo.

I love these interpretations. I didn't think there was a song on the album that was more spiritual that Magnificent.

The only problem with this song is that U2 is using mac lingo.

I love these interpretations. I didn't think there was a song on the album that was more spiritual that Magnificent.

He's trying to make a point that God can talk to us through anything or anyone including technology. Technology is not the enemy of soul.

Dana

That's interesting that you brought up the "3:33" reference. It just hit me that there is a connection with this and the cover of ATYCLB. There's a sign in the background that says "J 33-3," which Bono has said is a reference to Jeremiah 33:3, that says, "Call unto me and I will answer you and show you great and marvelous things that you know not"; Bono calls this "God's phone number." So, we have these numbers used again, this time in a song called "Unknown Caller"! Who's the Caller? It's obviously God!

Wow!

I have the theory that this man in the song is the same one in MOS, a drug addict who has lost his wife and everything that was dear to him because of the drug, he would like to leave it, but he can't, then he goes to the ATM to get money to buy more drug and he realises the face looking at him is his own face he doesn't recognise any more, at the moment he has the vision of what he has done with his life and he gets desperate, the song finishes, then UC starts and the first words are "sunshine, sunshine" in indication that, contrary to what anyone could have thought, he's saved and seeing the light again, then there's a flash back to his moment of desperation. My interpretation of the rest of the song is more or less what the first poster has written, probably much better expressed than if I had written it, so I'm not going to repeat it.
For me these two songs together work as a parable, teaching us we mustn't desperate, even if we've made the worst mistakes, God and his Grace will always be there for us if we want to listen.

I have the theory that this man in the song is the same one in MOS, a drug addict who has lost his wife and everything that was dear to him because of the drug, he would like to leave it, but he can't, then he goes to the ATM to get money to buy more drug and he realises the face looking at him is his own face he doesn't recognise any more, at the moment he has the vision of what he has done with his life and he gets desperate, the song finishes, then UC starts and the first words are "sunshine, sunshine" in indication that, contrary to what anyone could have thought, he's saved and seeing the light again, then there's a flash back to his moment of desperation. My interpretation of the rest of the song is more or less what the first poster has written, probably much better expressed than if I had written it, so I'm not going to repeat it.
For me these two songs together work as a parable, teaching us we mustn't desperate, even if we've made the worst mistakes, God and his Grace will always be there for us if we want to listen.

Bono has confirmed in interviews that the character in MOS is the same as in UC. He also said that he is a war vet who has not been able to handle coming home and has dragged his wife along in his addiction. He has his little epiphany in MOS then later ends up in a hotel room at 3:33 and his phone starts talking/texting him. Who's on the line?

Dana

Bono has confirmed in interviews that the character in MOS is the same as in UC. He also said that he is a war vet who has not been able to handle coming home and has dragged his wife along in his addiction. He has his little epiphany in MOS then later ends up in a hotel room at 3:33 and his phone starts talking/texting him. Who's on the line?

Dana

Thanks!:up:

I think it's God calling.

An extra special reference is right after 3:33 of the song. Bono sings near the beginning, "3:33, when the numbers fell off the clockface." Then fast forward to 3:33, when Bono sings, "Restart and reboot yourself!". Amazing timing.

Maybe U2 got sponsored by Apple for those lyrics ;) j/k

I originally didn't like this song because of the chorus delivery, but it has really grown on me and now one of my favorites on the album. Awesome outro, too! Good work guys.

Noting that Bono is a fan of "The Message", I think that interpretation of Jeremiah 33:3 confirms that the resemblance in "Unknown Caller's" instrumental portion to "My Savior's Love" is indeed with purpose...

"Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.'

Love love love this song. 333 comes up in my world all the time and I know it's God winking at me.
A little story..I was leaving work one day and pulled up behind a car with a license plate that had 333...(and then 3 letters). I remember Bono talking about that number popping up randomly here and there for him so I just thought it was a cool. It made me smile, then as I continued on my long drive home on the freeway and as I made my way around this residental area with my Ipod on shuffle ( all songs not just U2 songs) guess what song came on? Unknown Caller, but the weird thing was just as Bono was singing the line "3:33 when numbers fell off the clockface", I looked over to the side of the road and saw a very small mailbox in a jumble of many others with 333 on it just waiting for me to look at it.
I never noticed it before, becasue it was very unremarkable and kinda hard to see.
Isn't that cool? Well I think it was. the car with the plate was telling me to pay attention I guess...!
The universe/God was winking at me! Love it!

I've been thinking about this song's odd structure, especially the "chanted" chorus. It reminds me of when we learned about Greek plays in school and how there's a chorus of people that speaks in between the actors' parts. Since "Unknown Caller" is supposed to be a story, this makes sense. When they performed it live last year, sometimes Bono would say, "A chorus of voices!" at the beginning. I don't remember too much about how it works in a play, so I looked it up:

Greek chorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says the chorus can represent characters in the play; in "Unknown Caller," the chorus represents God speaking to the main character, whose words are sung by Bono. That's how I see it, anyway.

Noting that Bono is a fan of "The Message", I think that interpretation of Jeremiah 33:3 confirms that the resemblance in "Unknown Caller's" instrumental portion to "My Savior's Love" is indeed with purpose...

"Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.'

Wow, I never thought of the connection of The Message translation with "My Savior's Love." "Oh, how marvelous! / Oh, how wonderful! / Is my Savior's love for me…" :ohmy: "Unknown Caller" has so much going on!

I'm completely in awe with this song!:love:
I admit though, because I've never read the Bible but only know general info about it, I was understandably confused when I first heard it:huh:

I pretty much only understood the Mac lingo:lol: Bono, you genius!:D

But here's the thing, because I'm too curious for my own good, I want to start reading "The Message" because it looks to be the most "relatable" version out there. It doesn't hurt that Bono has sung its praise! I plan on giving it a go this summer.

Thanks everyone for shedding some light on this magnificent song :heart:

I've been thinking about this song's odd structure, especially the "chanted" chorus. It reminds me of when we learned about Greek plays in school and how there's a chorus of people that speaks in between the actors' parts. Since "Unknown Caller" is supposed to be a story, this makes sense. When they performed it live last year, sometimes Bono would say, "A chorus of voices!" at the beginning. I don't remember too much about how it works in a play, so I looked it up:

Greek chorus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says the chorus can represent characters in the play; in "Unknown Caller," the chorus represents God speaking to the main character, whose words are sung by Bono. That's how I see it, anyway.

I rewatched a YouTube video of "Unknown Caller" from Oklahoma recently and Bono actually mentions a Greek chorus! I had forgotten about that. :ohmy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GLKRb96DUM

But here's the thing, because I'm too curious for my own good, I want to start reading "The Message" because it looks to be the most "relatable" version out there. It doesn't hurt that Bono has sung its praise! I plan on giving it a go this summer.

Thanks everyone for shedding some light on this magnificent song :heart:

If you think the song is magnificent, wait until you learn the details about what God did for you! :heart: Congratulations on following the curiosity of your soul. I would agree that The Message is a great version. You do know that you don't have to start at the beginning, right? I don't want to give too much away, but the end of the story is the best part! :applaud:

If you think the song is magnificent, wait until you learn the details about what God did for you! :heart: Congratulations on following the curiosity of your soul. I would agree that The Message is a great version. You do know that you don't have to start at the beginning, right? I don't want to give too much away, but the end of the story is the best part! :applaud:

Oh, I know what he did for me! :yes:
Gifted me with a blessing in disguise, but I've started a couple of years ago to o come to grips that not all that is negative can't be turned into a positive. I remember Bono talking about this in "Bono in Conversations" if I remember correctly. You have to turn your negatives into positives, it's very hard to do but it's incredibly satisfying when you accomplish it!:heart:

As for "The Message" well, from what I remember reading from my French Bible in school, it didn't make that much sense, so I thought why not start a little bit easy, at the very least in the writing style/wording. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, and I do plough through Shakespeare quite happily, but the Bible is a different story, so if I don't want to get discouraged too quickly, that version seems like the best choice!:D

Well, didn't Bono say that "the goal is soul"?! :heart:

Oh, I know what he did for me! :yes:
Gifted me with a blessing in disguise, but I've started a couple of years ago to o come to grips that not all that is negative can't be turned into a positive. I remember Bono talking about this in "Bono in Conversations" if I remember correctly. You have to turn your negatives into positives, it's very hard to do but it's incredibly satisfying when you accomplish it!:heart:

As for "The Message" well, from what I remember reading from my French Bible in school, it didn't make that much sense, so I thought why not start a little bit easy, at the very least in the writing style/wording. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, and I do plough through Shakespeare quite happily, but the Bible is a different story, so if I don't want to get discouraged too quickly, that version seems like the best choice!:D

Well, didn't Bono say that "the goal is soul"?! :heart:

My advice: read the New Testament first, and Psalms and Proverbs. If you start at Genesis and try to read straight through like a regular book, you're gonna hit all those long chapters about measurements and rituals and you're gonna glaze over.

My advice: read the New Testament first, and Psalms and Proverbs. If you start at Genesis and try to read straight through like a regular book, you're gonna hit all those long chapters about measurements and rituals and you're gonna glaze over.

Thanks! UAME suggested me to do the same thing, so I'll follow your advice!:hug:

I can't wait to read the Psalms actually, knowing how much they've influenced the band, I want to experience it for myself :heart:

Back
Top Bottom