U2's Music and Spiritual "Healing"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
I was reading Brennan Manning, *again*:wink: and he told a story in "Abba's Child" that to me really represents the power of U2's music to help heal me and many others spiritually. I've heard some people say things along the lines of "Most of U2's music isn't uplifting, it doesn't always make me 'feel good' " or they're a bunch of "bleeding hearts" etc. However this story, told by Manning really spoke to me in this area. As we know, Bono writes most of the lyrics, so I'm focusing on him here. We also know he's experienced a lot of tragedy and difficult situations in his life. Anyway, the story is as follows, "Thornton Wilder's one-act play 'The Angel That Troubled The Waters,' based on John 5:1-4, dramatizes the power of the pool of Bethesda to heal whenever the angel stirred its waters. A physician comes perodically to the pool hoping to be the first in line and longing to be healed of his melancholy. The angel finally appears but blocks the physician just as he is ready to step into the water. ...then comes the prophetic word from the angel: 'Without your wounds, where would your power be? It is your melancholy that makes your low voice tremble into the hearts of men and women. The very angels themselves cannot persuade the wretched and blundering children on Earth as can one human being broken on the wheels of living. In Love's service, only wounded soldiers can serve.' ..."

That to me is the essence of U2's music. It goes beyond the typical rock fare of getting stoned and laid and having a good old time and making someone want to jump and dance and party, but not to change the way they live, the way they see the world. I suppose what I'm getting at, is do you feel that these horrible things (losing his mother, mistreatment by his father, etc.) have lead Bono to be the person and in this case the artist he is today. Would U2's music ever have been so powerfully used by God in so many of our lives if it didn't deal with the subject matter it does? In turn, would U2, and especially Bono have been abe to reach all the people they do/have without the trials in their lives that comes forth in the music. That story really puts in perspective for me.

Well according to Neil McCormick in "Killing Bono", "The death of his mother was what tipped the balance(between believing and not believing in God)" I do think that the pain that Bono and the band have gone through have significantly impacted with depth of their music. Let's not forget that Larry lost his mother early in u2's formation---I'm sure that that bond, along with the bond that 3 of the 4 deepened through Shalom...also has affected the music that u2 plays and sings.

When someone close has left the world, the most direct impact to a person, besides the sadness, is the guilt that he/she didn't treated the person better, didn't spend more time with him/her when he/her was alive and it was impossible to make up when the one was dead.

I think people do learn a lot of things from losing someone they really care. It's like throw red hot steel bar into cold water, it if didn't crack, it will become much tougher than before. It's how U2 make me feel about their music. Because they've been through a lot of tragedies, they really treasure the moment right in front them, the people around them and the world they living in. I guess they've somehow deeply felt the pain that once the moment was gone, it would never come back. So they do a lot of things harder than some other peoole/artists.

I guess that's what make them look pathetic to the people that was lucky enough didn't have much trouble in their lives.

U2 (i.e. Bono) sing about LIFE.....about things that happen in life and how those things affect us, and that the belief in hope, the belief in a higher power can help us get through it. Life/Love springs eternal.....I do believe that the loss of his mother is what really motivated Bono to look within and search his soul for what life (and death) is really all about, including the spiritual areas. U2's music no matter from what Era or what lyric or beat ALWAYS lifts me up, cheers me up, reminds me that life goes on and makes my spirit feel good. Their live shows are like church, it's personal and unexplainable unless you yourself have experienced it. These guys, especially Bono's lyricism is awesome and awe-inspiring.

Brittany, what a wonderful, thoughtful idea for a thread! Very good question, and yes I wholeheartedly believe that Bono's tragedy and hardship's early in life totally created the awe-inspiring person he is today. That's so true for anyone in general though. I always think about that (his mother's death) when listening to the lyrics specfically written for/about his mother; for example MOFO. "Mother...you left and made me someone"
I think he looks to her as his guardian angel. In fact, I wonder if he has had a supernatural experience directly involving her spirit or something like that. Wouldn't it be facinating to speak to him about the supernatural? I bet he has quite a few stories that would blow our minds!!

Jeannieco said:
Brittany, what a wonderful, thoughtful idea for a thread! Very good question, and yes I wholeheartedly believe that Bono's tragedy and hardship's early in life totally created the awe-inspiring person he is today. That's so true for anyone in general though. I always think about that (his mother's death) when listening to the lyrics specfically written for/about his mother; for example MOFO. "Mother...you left and made me someone"
I think he looks to her as his guardian angel. In fact, I wonder if he has had a supernatural experience directly involving her spirit or something like that. Wouldn't it be facinating to speak to him about the supernatural? I bet he has quite a few stories that would blow our minds!!

Thanks Jeannie!:hug: Your post is great too, and I agree! As regarding his mother, Bono said in "U2 by U2" and "Bono: In Conversation" that he doesn't believe spirits can communicate with those left on earth, so I would say I doubt it? He said something along the lines..."I belive that once you die, that's it. Up next, judgement." That one was from "In Conversation" I believe. That's just speculation based on my part though, taking into account what he's said.

U2isthebest said:

Bono said in "U2 by U2" and "Bono: In Conversation" that he doesn't believe spirits can communicate with those left on earth, so I would say I doubt it? He said something along the lines..."I belive that once you die, that's it. Up next, judgement." .

I read both of those books! My memory isn't working, I guess I need to go back and re-read them!
I would love to ask him what he means by that!

I'd imagine it would mean once you die, you are then before God, for judgement on your life. I think it's a fairly standard Christian belief

^^ Ya, I guess what I mean to say is that Bono seems to speak in riddles and sometimes he means something else or something more that what is obvious. But then again he could just mean exactly that. Who knows? I want to ask him myself! :)
I guess I want to believe that he has some really cool experiences with the supernatural. :)
I know that' s not unheard of or strange.

I don't know about Bono, but I could totally see Edge being one of those "ghost hunters"! ;)

Anyway, I really do think that Bono (or even Larry) would not be the person he is today if his early life had been easier. I really wonder, too, if he would even be a Christian if he had not had such experiences. Sometimes it takes hardship to bring someone to Chirst, in that they begin to realize that they really do need Him and that He can help them get through it. I know I've had bad things happen and I couldn't see the reason for them, but in the long run they actually made me stronger and helped me see God working in my life.

Back
Top Bottom