U2 sermon book proposal I got off a another mailing list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popsadie

Acrobat
Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog

We are Raewynne, Beth, and Mike. We are Episcopal priests. We are U2
fans.
We are putting together a book proposal.

We invite your submissions for _Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2
Catalog_, a collection of sermons which draw on the music of U2.

U2 material may be used from any era, any tour; we want your ZooTV
sermons
as much as your All That You Can't Leave Behind or October ones (maybe
more!) Also, please keep in mind that this is not a book trying to
prove
anything about U2 themselves, but a book of examples of how religious
leaders are integrating spiritually informed pop culture into their
proclamation of the Gospel.

The deadline for submitting a sermon is **December 15, 2002.**

For complete guidelines on how to prepare a submission and where to
send
it, go to
http://home.attbi.com/~u2sermons/

Thank you in advance to all who will offer up their work to this
project,
and to anyone who takes a minute to pray for its success.

Beth Maynard
Fairhaven MA USA

It shouldn't be, but it is a little surprising how the music of U2 is weaving itself into the fabric of the church, as well as into the very arms that closed themselves off to the music of U2 so many years ago. U2 sermons, U2 songs in worship! Awesome!

Chris

What is amazing to me is that the church is just now realizing the message U2 has been sending for years. :eyebrow: Well, if the "Christian culture" begins to embrace the band Im not sure how they will react. Good luck with the book, sounds cool....:yes:

I actually preached a sermon last year where I referenced U2 (Grace & 40). Seemed kinda weird, but it totally fit in to what I had to say (my subject was Faith, Love, and Grace). I'm no "preacher" in the strict sense of the word, but our minister allows us some time whenever we have topics on our hearts, and I gave it a shot. I'm currently teaching a class where we're discussing 1 Peter, and I'm quick to throw out a U2 reference here & there.

I also caught a clip of a Michael W. Smith concert performance the other day in which he covers "40." Pretty interesting!

Monkey79 said:
I actually preached a sermon last year where I referenced U2 (Grace & 40).

I hope you're going to submit it for consideration for the book!

a few months ago, here at L'Abri, we had a lecture called "U2 and the search for spiritual identity" which was pretty interesting. Actually, I find it even more funny that the speaker referenced me during the talk (we had spoken the day before). "That's a brief autobiography, the story is a really interesting one, talk to Bethany if you want to hear more of it...she knows more about them than I do." lmao.

Anyways, I have a tape copy and maybe one of these days when I am feeling ambitious I could attempt to transcribe it.

-sula

Back
Top Bottom