U2 in your church?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RickFly said:
ID BREAK BREAD AND WINE IF THERE WAS A CHURCH I COULD RECIEVE IN, CAUSE I NEED IT NOW.

id love to hear u2 at church. i need to start going to church more but i cant find one that id like to go to. alot of the ones that i have been to are all money oriented and very judgemental. i cant stand that.

I regret the fact that religion is the way it is. I could find a church that is "accepting," but then I find myself trying to find one where I agree with the doctrine.

I dunno...I think I enjoy doing it on my own these days. Is it possible to reject the institution of religion altogether, while still "believing"? Group mentalities suck.

Melon

I think you can, Melon, but I also think brotherhood is the best way to go. Maybe you just haven't found a church for you. They're out there if you look for them.

Melon, I agree that u don't need institutions. But the sad thing is that church is not what it is suppose to be. The church is a place for building relationships. Look what happens when church loses that communal feeling:

Marx hated religion because his dad father attended church for material gain

Europe railed against the Chruch because of its corruption and hypocrisy, the church was more interested in power than serving.

My Pastor always emphasises that people are more important in Church, the Church is a place of relationships, of suppoirt, of serving each other and love.

Looking for a perfect church is impossible, looking for a church that has its priorities right is possible to find.

Like Macfisto, if ur interested try my church. Since you obviosuly can't attend it, u can get our resources online such as sermons, articles, etc, etc. All you gotta do is sign up and its free!

In my church they played Beautiful Day and Where the streets Have No Name. I go to a Baptist Church in Miami. I was so surprised when i first heard Beautiful Day. I was so Happy. Then i was totally not expecting them to play Streets and i went CRAZY it was so awesome!!! I'm hoping to hear some more soon!

I play electric guitar at my church.
My friends and i that are in the band always try to throw in as much u2 as possible.
whether that be MD licks on the guitar, city of blinding lights on the keys..... ....
... streets, pride, sbs, ...etc
you name it, were doing our best to descretly slide it in, and put a smile on u2 fans that are in the congregation.

I play electric guitar at my church.
My friends and i that are in the band always try to throw in as much u2 as possible.
whether that be MD licks on the guitar, city of blinding lights on the keys..... ....
... streets, pride, sbs, ...etc
you name it, were doing our best to descretly slide it in, and put a smile on u2 fans that are in the congregation.

Jimbo..

I also do that at my Church... Its always a good time when you through in some u2 descretly.. I remember at a conference we played at we organzied to start the conference with Streets.. it was great

The Captain said:
Jimbo..

I also do that at my Church... Its always a good time when you through in some u2 descretly.. I remember at a conference we played at we organzied to start the conference with Streets.. it was great

Deja Vu!!!!

My church also did WTSHNN. However, we just did the musical version without any of the lyrics. It was such a hit! Everyone loved it. I just happened to be playing the bass guitar at the time. Someone came up to me after the service, tipped their hat and said, "although the drumming was a little weak, you are the next Adam Clayton."

Wow that must have been very exciting for you booster... becoming the next Adam Clayton...

Well I remember two mice one time... that fell into a bucket of creme

Well, our band leader is into U2 music so we've had "Streets", "One", "All Because of You" and coming Easter service, I'm told, "Yahweh." We mix the U2 stuff in with traditional hymns (with a beat and guitars of course) and some contemporary worship choruses.

My pastor is a big U2 fan, and I love it when he works it into sermons and whatnot. He's quoted "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and "Until the end of the world" and a few other songs. I think once he just started talking about U2 in the sermon, and just last week he got the music director to play "When love comes to town". We were talking about what God says on love and he said, "I just had to work that U2 song in." I love how he does things like that.

Also, I was at a retreat and the worship band there were obviously U2 songs. Even before we started with choruses, they started out playing Vertigo. I was so shocked to hear him say, "unos, dos, tres, catorce", I loved it. And during one song where it goes, "You give and take away, you give and take away," he repeated this line a few times but then mixred in WOWY and sang the, "and you give yourself away" then did the long "oh"s. It was pretty cool.

It's nice that churches playU2's music and that pastors cite U2 lyrics in their sermons,

but all of that is meaningless unless these churches do more than just "pimp" U2 for their own advantages with their congregations.

:ohmy:

How many of these churches have become active in The ONE Campaign? How many of these churches make attending to the needs of the poorest people in the world the FOCUS of their ministry?

Very few of them, I'm sure.:tsk:

Faith without the Works is not Faith at all - so the New Testament says. :yes:

Jamila said:
It's nice that churches playU2's music and that pastors cite U2 lyrics in their sermons,

but all of that is meaningless unless these churches do more than just "pimp" U2 for their own advantages with their congregations.

:ohmy:

How many of these churches have become active in The ONE Campaign? How many of these churches make attending to the needs of the poorest people in the world the FOCUS of their ministry?

Very few of them, I'm sure.:tsk:

Faith without the Works is not Faith at all - so the New Testament says. :yes:

So how are you "sure", Jamila, how are you sure that very few of them "make attending to the needs of the poorest people in the world the FOCUS of their ministry"?

Give it a rest, please. Why are you constantly knocking churches? This thread was about hearing/playing U2 songs at church. There is absolutely no reason to turn it into a "church-slamfest".

THE FIRST EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE
CORINTHIANS

CHAPTER 13
Paul extols the high status of charity—Charity, a pure love, excels and exceeds almost all else.

1 THOUGH I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of aprophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity denvieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her bown, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

This is so weird. Just today in Church I was thinking how awesome it would be to have U2 played during Mass. I mean, WTSHNN right after communion? :drool:

I'm a deacon in my church and preach quite often. I would like to use a U2 song or quote Bono one day.

The only musician I have quoted in a sermon is Nick Cave.

I hope Bono writes more extensively on his faith and his thoughts on the Christian faith in the future.

Last edited:
Bad Templar said:
The only musician I have quoted in a sermon is Nick Cave.

I love Nick Cave's music! His lyrics are so poetic and really force me to think. It's obvious that he has been going through his own spiritual journey; actually I read in Salon that he considers himself a Christian now, something that doesn't surprise me considering the tone of his last few albums. What Nick Cave stuff did you use in your sermon? I'm curious. :)

Also, you might find this link interesting. Beth is a member of this forum and has co-written what looks to be a really cool book about U2 in sermons. www.u2sermons.blogspot.com

Last edited:
sulawesigirl4 said:

I love Nick Cave's music! His lyrics are so poetic and really force me to think. It's obvious that he has been going through his own spiritual journey; actually I read in Salon that he considers himself a Christian now, something that doesn't surprise me considering the tone of his last few albums. What Nick Cave stuff did you use in your sermon? I'm curious. :)

Yes, I've read the Salon article. He's very specific about the fact that it is the Christian God he believes in.

Even in the 80s, I noticed on the Tender Prey album he sang about God and biblical references even at the height of his heroin addiction.

Here's and extract of my sermon which explains the quote...I was preaching about the woman taken in adultery in John 8.

I searched through a number of bible commentaries about this passage…and I found theologians in general wouldn’t put money on what Jesus was doing exactly by scrawling on the ground with his finger.

I did find one though…from a very unlikely source.

The singer/songwriter Nick Cave, who appears to have become a Christian in the last few years, dared to speculate what Jesus was up to in his spoken-word lecture ‘the Flesh made Word’.

Cave says…‘this seemingly distracted gesture, the stooping down and writing on the ground, is Christ accessing the God in Himself…Christ then delivers the line that dis-empowers his opponents, and what an extraordinary remark it is…and he stoops again to re-commune with God.’

Whilst this is one man’s opinion…to me it generally rings true. This is the Jesus who apparently spent his entire night communing with His Father before this confrontation in temple. We can imagine Jesus calling on God for help to deal with the traps the scribes and chief priests set for Him.

Jesus’ remark was that of a Son sent to do His Father’s work and drawing on His Father in an innovative and creative way.

Thanks for the link. :wink:

Our Church just did an amazing job performing ABOY. It is amazing how you can actually turn any song, (I guess lyrics permitting) into a worship song. They seriously rocked the house (of God that is).
Take some time to actually listen to the lyrics and apply it to God! WOW!
All because of you . . . I am.

We played Elevation once in the youth group when I was in high school.

I wouldn't want U2's faith eing mentioned though, as I disagree with Bono's view on christianity.

Frankly,

Its none of your business to even ponder the question of saved vs. non-saved.

God gives us all a chance, no matter how sinful we are.

Im sick of judgmental and self-righteous Christians, who spend their day judging others...

Actually, swissair135, it is our business as Christians to ponder the question of those around us being saved or not - but I believe that is for witnessing purposes. Christ does tell us to witness to others about the Gospel, and it helps to know whether people are unsaved. For instance, if I knew you were saved, I wouldn't witness to you about salvation, because that would be taking time away from witnessing to people who are lost.

That being said, everything I've read about Bono tells me that he is indeed a Christian, so that's what I believe.

God' message isnt primarily salvation.

God tells us many different things, which fly right over our heads.

Peace/Love/Toleration etc.

We only care about salvation... im sick and tired of this issue.

How can salvation not be the most important issue? Isn't the eternal home of a person's spirit paramount?

Christ didn't incarnate himself as a human baby and spend 33 hard years walking around on the earth as a human to simply say "Be nice to one another". The Bible says he came to "destroy the works of the devil"; his primary mission during his ministry on earth was to die on the cross and come back to life so he could bring salvation to anyone who would accept it.

That salvation IS his love for us.

I really don't recall Christ saying much, if anything at all, about tolerance. He did say "I come not to bring peace, but a sword", which means that his sacrifice would cause a division between those who trust in him and those who don't. There will always be that division. We are not all one, as far as that is concerned.

Are we to "tolerate" those who hold other beliefs by respecting them, loving them, etc? Yes. But that tolerance isn't to go so far as to say "Well, I realize that you are Muslim, so I will not share the Gospel with you." In fact, it is because of our love and compassion for the lost that we are to point them in the direction of the truth of the Gospel.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:
But that tolerance isn't to go so far as to say "Well, I realize that you are Muslim, so I will not share the Gospel with you." In fact, it is because of our love and compassion for the lost that we are to point them in the direction of the truth of the Gospel.

So would you mind it at all if a Muslim came to you and tried to get you to join their faith?

You may not see trying to point non-Christians in the direction of the Gospel as disrespectful, but some of them will see it that way. If they want to join your religion, that should be a choice they and they alone make-they have that free will and all, right? And if they don't want to join your religion, why not just leave them be? You have no desire to join their faiths, so why should they have to join yours?

I'm not attacking you here or anything, that's just my thoughts on the whole idea of saving people.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

So would you mind it at all if a Muslim came to you and tried to get you to join their faith?

I wouldn't mind at all if a Muslim witnessed to me. That would give me the opportunity to tell them about the grace of God and Christ's sacrifice. And yes, I've had a Muslim witness to me, and a Mormon, and Jehovah's Witnesses. And yes, sometimes it's "inconvenient" for me to listen. But I don't get mad. In fact, I respect them for taking the time to tell me what they think is true.

Moonlit_Angel said:
You may not see trying to point non-Christians in the direction of the Gospel as disrespectful, but some of them will see it that way. If they want to join your religion, that should be a choice they and they alone make-they have that free will and all, right?

Yes, that is a choice they will have to make, but how can they make that choice without first hearing about it? And how will they hear if no one tells them?

Moonlit_Angel said:
And if they don't want to join your religion, why not just leave them be? You have no desire to join their faiths, so why should they have to join yours?

If someone of another faith rejects the Gospel, I'm not going to badger him/her about it. Christ said that if a town rejects you, just wipe the dust off your feet and move on. It's not my job to bring the seed to bloom; it's just my job to sow the seed.

I
Moonlit_Angel said:
'm not attacking you here or anything, that's just my thoughts on the whole idea of saving people.

Angela

I respect that, but think of it this way; if Christianity is the only way to God, as Christ said it is, wouldn't it be wrong not to tell people? If you knew the truth that would save a man's soul, doesn't love demand that you tell him?

If you were on a sinking ship, and you thought you knew the way to the lifeboats, wouldn't you try to lead as many people to the lifeboats as you could?

Back to "U2 in your church"....
I could hardly believe it when at Immersion (a worship service on Thursday nights i sometimes go to) during the singing they put on the projection screen some words from "With or Without You" (it was the "and you give yourself away" part) and we sang it, same words, same tune, and after that it switched a section from another song, but i sort of wanted to sing "with or without youuuu...with or without you, uh-huh..." instead.
And someone mentioned Shawn Macdonald (sp?)...I saw him in concert! I was right next to the stage! what a coincidence, huh?

80sU2isBest said:
I wouldn't mind at all if a Muslim witnessed to me. That would give me the opportunity to tell them about the grace of God and Christ's sacrifice. And yes, I've had a Muslim witness to me, and a Mormon, and Jehovah's Witnesses. And yes, sometimes it's "inconvenient" for me to listen. But I don't get mad. In fact, I respect them for taking the time to tell me what they think is true.

Ah, I see. Good :).

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Yes, that is a choice they will have to make, but how can they make that choice without first hearing about it? And how will they hear if no one tells them?

People don't have to necessarily tell them about a religion in order for them to be interested in it. They might see an ad somewhere while out and about, or while flipping through the TV channels, or perhaps they'll overhear a discussion from some people of that particular religion-those people aren't talking directly to them, but it piques their interest. There are ways.

And even so, if someone does wish to tell them about a certain religion, there's a way to go about it that won't bug them (i.e., two friends get into a discussion about religious beliefs or lack thereof, and each of them explains what they personally believe and why, and perhaps that'll sway one or the other) and there's a way to go about it that will bug them (telling them that they'll go to hell if they don't join this faith, constantly harassing them even after they've said they weren't interested or might consider it at the very least. I don't imagine you do that, but unfortunately, some do).

If someone of another faith rejects the Gospel, I'm not going to badger him/her about it. Christ said that if a town rejects you, just wipe the dust off your feet and move on. It's not my job to bring the seed to bloom; it's just my job to sow the seed.

Agreed.

I respect that, but think of it this way; if Christianity is the only way to God, as Christ said it is, wouldn't it be wrong not to tell people? If you knew the truth that would save a man's soul, doesn't love demand that you tell him?

If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity was the true way, then yes, I wouldn't have a problem with telling people, as it'd have been proven to be true. But at this time, every religion claims they're the ones who hold the truth, and everyone personally believes their faith is the true one, but it can't be proven for sure, so it just doesn't make sense to me for people to claim their religious beliefs are fact. I definitely think my religious views are the right ones, but I'm not going to present them as fact, because I can't prove for sure that what I say will happen to us after our lives are over will actually occur.

If you were on a sinking ship, and you thought you knew the way to the lifeboats, wouldn't you try to lead as many people to the lifeboats as you could?

Yes, but then again, that's 'cause I knew full well what was going to happen if I didn't send everyone there-it is a fact that if someone doesn't get into a lifeboat and doesn't find a way to get away from a sinking ship, they will not survive. Religion's a little different, as, yet again, everyone has their own ideas regarding what will happen if people do or don't follow this or that faith, but those ideas can't be proven to be factual.

Anywho, yeah, back to the topic of U2 in church. I left church long before I got into U2...I wonder what they'd say if I went back there and brought U2 into the services?

Angela

Back
Top Bottom