U2 Charist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiechlvu2

The Fly
I must share my thoughts on the U2-charist I attended.

It was awesome. I truly enjoyed it and not that I am biased as a loyal U2 fan.

It was held a an Episcopal Church in Dallas, PA. I was a little uncertain of how this was going to be presented. I had hoped it would not deminish the validity of the message they were trying to get across to everyone.

I must say, it was done beautifully. The church was filled. I always read into the lyrics of U2's songs. My friends used to think I was crazy that I was understanding the messages the U2 were giving.. My friends only saw it as 'words'. I have always (since an early age in the early 80's) thought their lyrics were powerful... Just something about them. They are the only band I have connected with... May sound silly, but true. I know many other U2 followers have the same feelings.. that is why we are a unique group of individuals... not only understanding their spirituality, but their political views and the passions they pursue. Since a 5th grader in the early 80's, I have always considered the band my 'role models' and I always will.. they one of many reasons, I am who I am today (with the charitable organizations I belong to and chair)

I must tell everyone: If you have a chance to participate in a U2 charist, please take the time.. It is great...

Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to our event tonight. I hope people have a similar experience to yours.

As a guitar player, I use to get caught up in the music and miss out on what is being said and the bigger picture. When you look at the lyrics close, I think there are things that jump out that are not typical. For example, One. Its not We GOT to carry each other...speaking to a responsibility we have, yet, we GET to carry each other. It is a privilege to do so.

Anyhow, I hope everyone that shows up will get more out of the evening than just a U2 show.

So, how did your show go last evening?

The event I attended was not with a live bad. They had large screens at the alter and speakers set along the wall, down the outside row of pews. The music was set to the presentation on the screens (a CD). It was still a very powerful message. I was watching the crowd at first. Everyone stood and sang to the words on the screen that were incorporated into these beautiful, religious 'slides'. Right from the start the 'younger' audience members were really into it. The 'older' audience members were so/so.. but a couple of minutes into it (and after the priest gave his first 'sermon' on the first 'topic', they were into it too..

Afterward everyone went to another area of the church for refreshments and everyone was talking about how they never realized this group (some never heard of) had these, what they called 'hidden lyrics' in their music. They said they just figured a band called U2 was just a rock band. The event turned out to be a success. This was the first in our area. The first is always hard but they want to do this again.

In the audience were members of other churches around the area. They came to see how this was interpreted by church members. This was not our church but I am glad we took the time to travel to it. I hope that down the road my episcopal church will hold this event. I would definitely be a part of organizing it.

Back
Top Bottom