U2 and Christianity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onegin22

The Fly
From the Ask The Edge Q&A -

Q:"1) What books are you reading right now? 2) What books do you find yourself returning to over the years? 3) How much do you find that what you read influences your life and work?"

A:"The Bible"

That's really awesome that the Word is such an inspiration in U2's career.

U2 is actually the reason I became a committed Christian myself. I was tired of the Christian culture and Christian music and Christians acting like it's all a club, and then I found out that "Until the End of the World" had lyrics from the Bible. It turned my world upside down. (I was 15 at the time.) I've studied the band's faith and have just been inspired with how relevant they are to Christianity. I often tell people Bono's the most Christ-like guy out there. Yes, I say it with a straight face too. Bono is the most important Christian to Christianity right now.

Interesting thread! I grew up in a strong Christian home and everyone in my family is still very religious, although they'd argue that Christianity is not a religion. They attend Bible studies, prayer groups, church twice on Sundays... and here I am with absolutely no faith. I don't go to Church, and sadly I don't believe in anything that I was taught growing up. It makes for an awkward time at Christmas when everyone comes together, that's for sure! Like coemgen, I've just become tired of the Christian culture, and all of them acting like it's a club, and isolating themselves from anyone who's not a believer.

I'm an open-minded person, I just can't get myself to believe in what the Bible says. Maybe through religiously (no pun intended) listening to HTDAAB and visiting these forums, I'll have a change of mind.

Hey JoeyInt, I can identify with your story. I just had to make it my own thing. Not that I altered what the Bible says to fit my life, but I had to seek out the relationship with Christ on my own, you know? I hated the "club" feel. I still do. :banghead:
I would suggest you check out a book called "Blue Like Jazz" it's "nonreligious thoughts on Christianity," told by this guy Donald Miller, who's brilliant. It's hilarious too. Or check out www.relevantmagazine.com, they've been dubbed "U2 Christians." It's refreshing to know that there are other Christians other than U2 out there who are NOT into the club thing, you know?

God bless.

Coemgen, thanks for your post. I'll definitely check out that book. Although I've lost all my faith, I'm very interested in religion and theology and spirituality.

coemgen said:
It's refreshing to know that there are other Christians other than U2 out there who are NOT into the club thing, you know?

God bless.

There are lots of us not into the "club" thing. Having a genuine love for the church (as in the "Body of Christ) and wanting to spend time with other Christians doesn't mean someone's a "club member". There's something about being with other Christians that can lift a soul. That's the Holy Spirit moving in "mysterious ways".

It becomes a "club" when people draw inward and shut out others because they have become comfortable with their Christianity. We are not supposed to become "comfortable". We are supposed to be open to the Holy Spirit's work in our lives, mainly sharing Christ with the world.

I agree with you fully 80sU2. I didn't mean to imply in any way that all churches are dismissed because some have the club feel or because the Christian subculture in some ways creates a club feel. I understand the importance of The Body and why we need to attend church and everything. I love my church and I would go crazy if I didn't have it, but it's never felt like a members only club thing. People like Donald Miller and those at Relevant are actually fighting against the club feel, you know? I commend them for that. And you're absolutely correct that the club feel occurs when people stop being open and challenged by the spirit and draw inward. That's exactly what turned me off to Christianity growing up. However, Bono and his faith and the band's faith brought me back. :bono: :) On that note, I would encourage you JoeyInt to find a good, Bible-based church that fits you well.

80sU2isBest said:
There are lots of us not into the "club" thing. Having a genuine love for the church (as in the "Body of Christ) and wanting to spend time with other Christians doesn't mean someone's a "club member". There's something about being with other Christians that can lift a soul. That's the Holy Spirit moving in "mysterious ways".

To add to 80sU2isBest's words, please understand that the gospel is a hope in a sin-scarred world, but it is not a passage out of the world. Christians are those who have responded to Christ's call and are in the process of being transformed from dreadful sinners to humble servants of God.

We have not been exempted from the trials or the temptations of our human nature, with its attendant sinful nature. We still make mistakes of all kinds from time to time, hurting ourselves, those we love, and even strangers such as yourself. In a sense, the church is a spiritual hospital of sorts, so one ought not to be surprised to find the sick wandering its halls.

As Christians we already confess that we are sick, so sick that we deserve the damnation of God were it not for His grace. The Christian life is training in how to defeat the power of that sinful nature, but it is not an exemption from it.

shameless promoter that I am..hee hee

www.c4.net.au

My church belongs in the "Pentecostal" group, but that doesn't define who we are as a Church. What defines us is our slogan, love life, enjoy living.

We got sermons you can download, give it try if your not keen on physically attending church. Listen to encouraging and uplifting sermons from the safety of your own computer.

note: u gotta sign up to download and its free.
mmmmm...free

The heart of christianity is loving God and loving your neighbor
the probiblem is that we christians are not God,
so we dont always get it compleatly right.
but we are trying with Gods help
some of us anyways

I think Bono gets a lot of his passion from the scripture...
I love when I see his passion shine through his music... It is very inspiring

Back
Top Bottom