U2 and Christian Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl43

Refugee
Is U2 ever played on Christian radio? Or are they considered too 'secular'?

I only asking because I don't normally listen to any radio, and when I have occasionally tuned into 'Christian' radio, I've never heard them played.

It seems to me many songs would work in that format.

I never listen to Christian radio, but I do know that some stations have...

And there have been many rumors in the past regarding this as well...

I remember back in the 90's a Christian radio banned all U2 music from their station because they thought U2 had lost their way with ZooTv and they were no longer Christians.

Plus I also remember a rumor about how Bono once said he didn't want to hear his songs on Christian radio. But a source was never provided, at least that I saw...

The stupid thing is that they won't or wouldn't play U2 but if a "Christian" band covers a U2 song they will play that. I guess you won't hear COL though because of the "unecessary cursing" which took me a while to figure out. LOL

Dana

I heard Magnificent on the radio the other day and realised it was on a Christian station.

I was quite surprised. I know in the late 80's there was a campaign to get the Christian station here in New Zealand to play U2, but they refused. I guess their music has finally become "Christian" enough to play.

The only Christian radio I've ever heard is when I have traveled in the South, and it sounded far too conservative to play U2. Granted I turned it on usually when I couldn't sleep and just needed something mellow, so I probably never listened long enough to get enough exposure to it.

A lot of my friends are Baptists and Mennonites and they act really strange when U2 gets brought up in conversations. It's almost like they think they are evil or something. Probably because U2 are hard to categorize or even figure out sometimes. But my friends really like Contemporary Christian music. :shrug:

I'm not sure if they're all too big on Christian radio. I go to a Christian school and nobody has ever really heard of U2. Though I heard the youth pastor at my friends' church is a big U2 fan.

Sheltered much? They're among the most famous musicians in the world, it would be one thing if they didn't listen to them, but NEVER HEARD OF?

I'm not sure if they're all too big on Christian radio. I go to a Christian school and nobody has ever really heard of U2. Though I heard the youth pastor at my friends' church is a big U2 fan.
Never heard of? That actually scares me, that certain religious groups shelter themsleves that much...

A lot of my friends are Baptists and Mennonites and they act really strange when U2 gets brought up in conversations. It's almost like they think they are evil or something. Probably because U2 are hard to categorize or even figure out sometimes. But my friends really like Contemporary Christian music. :shrug:
I'm not here to bash any denomination but certain sects of the Baptist denomination still believe dancing and secular music is a sin. And as some are slowly coming to terms, it doesn't suprise me that a band like U2 is frowned upon.

I remember when I was in college Baylor held their first college dance, and this was a huge deal. It was late 90's. I used to visit a friend there, and there was still college aged students that were denouncing the demonic ways of U2...:crack:

Never heard of? That actually scares me, that certain religious groups shelter themsleves that much...

There were people at my high school that didn't know who U2 is, and it wasn't a Christian school (just a small-town school). When I mentioned U2, the response was usually either, "Who?" or "They suck!" :|

I know how that goes, I was introduced to them through one of my Aunts, at school though some knew cause of their parents or radio or of corase "they suck they are old" thing

Now some Christians only listen to Christian music only, why they might not have listened to U2 or even heard of them, I use to be that way for a couple years when I became extremely religious and was being fed anything outside of the church is wrong even none Christian music etc, DOn't become of the world blah blah crap, Thank god I'm not like that anymore, otherwise I wouldn't be here or have any of the good music I have now. I still love God just not sheltered

a friend of mine goes to a huge, mega-non-denominational church in ATL and when I visited that church with him they played U2 in the lobby over the speakers. The church band also has played Vertigo and other U2 songs. I know lots of Christians who are into U2 and got into them because of what they stand for. As far as Christian radio, I don't know.

I occasionally hear them on CC radio here in southern cali. I hear more of the Christian artist covers of U2 but I hear our boys occasionally. I think the industry has gotten smaller these days since the explosion of the 90's with bands like DCTalk who crossed over with out even trying and other bands like Jars of Clay....CCM is a looser term than it used to be.....I feel like people are looking for good music with an uplifting message but not necessarily looking for a "Christian" label on it. Even artists like Toby Mac are questioning the label of contemporary Christian music and artist like Derick Webb are making huge statements concerning faith but are leaving him ostricized by Christian music labels and venues because of one little S word. But the message of faith and love is undeniable.

My church has done a few U2 songs in the past. Pride, magnificent at Easter Etc. So more progressive churches are not afraid to claim the music.....

^ Yeah, somebody hasn't done their research. A lot of those Bono quotes don't support the statements they are trying to make and are taken out of context. And they quote a lot of lyrics in this video but clearly don't know the stories or the meanings behind the songs they are from. :tsk:

“‘Love thy neighbor’ is not a piece of advice; it’s a command,” -- Bono-- So true.

The Bible sais thou shall not kill--it does not say just some people--Jacque Fresco

(Jacque is a social engineer and futurist and is 93 years old) and he concluded this statement by talking about people who confess they are Christians saying:
You forget the Lord's prayer--Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven--in heaven there are no banks, no money, no private property, no businesses of any kind."

So, activism needs to extend to everyone on the planet meaning--we can only solve the problem of poverty when we declare the earth's resources as the common inheritance of all people.

In a late 80's interview Bono confessed about all the money he was now beginning to make: "All money has done is to separate me from my family and friends--which are my lifeblood."

By the way I have met our favorite Irish star who has had the cajones to take on the world: I met him in 1987 around the time of Joshua Tree, I met him in an underground club in Dublin, I was touring with a group--I was hoping I might meet him and I did! :wink::heart:

(Jacque is a social engineer and futurist and is 93 years old) and he concluded this statement by talking about people who confess they are Christians saying:
You forget the Lord's prayer--Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven--in heaven there are no banks, no money, no private property, no businesses of any kind."

So, activism needs to extend to everyone on the planet meaning--we can only solve the problem of poverty when we declare the earth's resources as the common inheritance of all people.

The earth is not like heaven, though, and I don't think the Lord's Prayer is saying that it is.

I have seen Vetigo and someothers played on the Gospel Music Channel, MTV for Christian music. It was listed asone of the top ten songs they play or something like that.

October was huge on Christian radio back in the early 80s (or so I've read). Fitting though.

I dont listen to Christian radio, but I'm gonna go ahead and say U2 is far too liberal/out there/whatever you wanna call it.

Back
Top Bottom