U2 and Buddhism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herco

War Child
Is there a connection. Besides Christianity does Bono write about buddhism?
In my oppinion All Because Of You is about buddhism, but that's just me.

Herco said:
Is there a connection. Besides Christianity does Bono write about buddhism?
In my oppinion All Because Of You is about buddhism, but that's just me.

Bono has said that the I AM in the song is God. It is one of his names in the Old and New Testament.

I'm alive, I'm being born, I'm just arrived, I'm at the door.....
Reincarnation?

You can see u2 lyrics at a lot of points of view.

The I AM, can also be Buddha, or enlightment.

Herco said:
I'm alive, I'm being born, I'm just arrived, I'm at the door.....
Reincarnation?

You can see u2 lyrics at a lot of points of view.

The I AM, can also be Buddha, or enlightment.

Christ said that a person cannot come to the Father unless he be "born again". When a person becomes a Christian, the Bible says he/she is "born again". The Bible describes being "born again" in many ways, one of which is "passing from death unto life". In Romans, Paul said that before he was born again, he was dead in his sins - in fact, he says that Sin had killed him. But he says now that he is born again, the Holy Spirit breathes life into him. An integral part of being born again is "becoming a new creation" (2 Cor. 5:17). The old self/the old nature is crucified, and in its place is a new nature, created by Christ. That is what being "born again" is.

I don't know much about Buddhism, but the I AM Bono is singing about is definitely YHWH, the Hebrew God. He said so himself.

I'm not trying to disrespect your views at all. I'm really not. I just wanted to tell you what Bono himself said about the song.

guess you're right.
But I think that many u2 songs can be interpretated at many different point of views. It can be about christianity, it can be about buddhism.... it's just what it is for you.

Herco said:
guess you're right.
But I think that many u2 songs can be interpretated at many different point of views. It can be about christianity, it can be about buddhism.... it's just what it is for you.

I understand what you're saying. Original Of The Species means something different to me than most people. To me, it is has meaning as God's love song to his children, mankind, even though I know what Bono wrote it to be about.

U2's music is indefinable - it means something different to almost every person who hears it.

I think it would be unfair to try to box U2's music into a narrowly defined idea of what we want it to mean.

U2 speaks about God - but has let their definition of God to be broad enough so that people from various religions and spiritual backgrounds can identify with U2's music and search for Truth and Love in this world. :wink:

I think that if we are truly followers of U2's example of lives lived in Grace, we would try to be like them and NOT JUDGE OTHERS from other spiritual perspectives - just like U2.

WE'RE ONE, BUT WE'RE NOT THE SAME. WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:yes:

Jamila said:

I think that if we are truly followers of U2's example of lives lived in Grace, we would try to be like them and NOT JUDGE OTHERS from other spiritual perspectives - just like U2.

WE'RE ONE, BUT WE'RE NOT THE SAME. WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:yes:

As much as I like U2, the only example I want to follow is that of Christ.

The rest of us are too ...well, too...flawed.

ok 80sU2, fair enough. but others' choice of religion doesn't appear flawed to them. we have to agree to disagree, right? i don't think it's right to negate someone else's belief by telling them their religion is flawed. when u come down to it, none of us know. that's why it's "faith"!
i do know tho, that yaweh is another way of saying "I Am". god called him/herself that.

be still, and know that I Am. (yaweh)
I Am (yaweh) the way, the truth, and the light

etcetera, etcetera

not that i'm particularly religious, i tend to be rather eclectic, myself. i believe that all religions have their value, to be sure- just as each have their flaws- as everything mankind gets its' hands on does!

DustoftheStars said:
ok 80sU2, fair enough. but others' choice of religion doesn't appear flawed to them. we have to agree to disagree, right? i don't think it's right to negate someone else's belief by telling them their religion is flawed. when u come down to it, none of us know. that's why it's "faith"!
i do know tho, that yaweh is another way of saying "I Am". god called him/herself that.
be still, and know that I Am. (yaweh)
I Am (yaweh) the way, the truth, and the light
etcetera, etcetera
not that i'm particularly religious, i tend to be rather eclectic, myself. i believe that all religions have their value, to be sure- just as each have their flaws- as everything mankind gets its' hands on does!
Dust, read my post and the post ahead of it, again, and then tell me that I called anyone's religion "flawed". I didn't say anything of the sort. I said that people are flawed. Someone said something about following U2's example of lives lived in faith, and I said that I don't want to follow anyone's example except Christ, because "the rest of us" (people) are flawed.

U2's music comes from the Christian perspective and Bono's committed Christian life. Christ himself is specifically mentioned in songs from October's "Tomorrow" to ATYCLB's "Peace on Earth." You could say "Vertigo" too, but it's not the same, although the song is about him as well.

DustoftheStars said:

That's just something we say here in Texas. In Texas, everyone's "Bob", except the men, and they're Joe Bob Billy Bob.

Funny - I'm in Texas too and I never hear anyone referred to as "Bob" - unless their name is Bob.

Everyone's perspectives and experiences are different. Yet they are all to be respected - like everyone's choice of religion.

Doesn't Bono say "It's great to be one. But it may be even greater to respect differences"?

Maybe it's time we follow his words.:angel:

Jamila, twice in this thread you have said things like "maybe we should repect each other's religions/difference". Are you of the opinion that anyone in this thread has disrespected anyone else's beliefs? If so, no need to throw hints around; just come out and say it.

just a suggestion, 80's.

It is OK to give suggestions in this forum, I hope.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:wink:

Jamila said:
just a suggestion, 80's.

It is OK to give suggestions in this forum, I hope.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:wink:

Yes it is, but when you keep giving the same suggestion, maybe you can see why someone might think you're dropping hints.

And don't worry, your suggestions aren't going unheeded. Herco didn't trash Christianity and I didn't trash Buddhism. No one has disrespected anyone or their beliefs.

This forum is supposed to be a place to discuss U2's religious beliefs and religious lyrics. Arguing about religious beliefs is forbidden. The only thread that I can think of that qualifies as disrespecting someone's religious beliefs was the one scarletwine posted that trashed the beliefs of American Conservative Christians.

Back
Top Bottom