thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pukebreath

The Fly
First, subtitles, from what I understand are not necessary due to the fact that the dialogue is very limited...

Second, this movie should be allowed to be made. Just like NWA, or Pulbic Enemy, or gansta rap has a right to be voiced, by the first amendment of the Constitution, this movie has a right to be made. Now, the messages are complete opposites, I acknowledge that fully, and it's true, this is a world issue, not just American, but I still think it should be made in whatever way Gibson wants.

That being said. It is a very dangerous movie, because it will cause feelings of anti-Semitism. To say we all killed Jesus with our sins may or may not be true, but that is just one personal opinion, just as every person's faith is their own individual opinion. So people will, inevitably blame Judaism. But I think that this is no different than those who viewed American History X as a pro-neo Nazi movie. That wasn't the message, but there were those who felt it glorified Naziism. Unfortunatly, that is the risk with something like this.

But, this is just my opinion. I am not Jewish, and I am in fact Catholic. Whether I like it or not, my opinions are rooted in a Catholic upbringing.

I often find the Catholic church's policies offensive, and I think they are blind to reality on these types of issues. Check out Jean-Luc Godard's "Hail Mary", a movie banned by the Vatican, probably the most beautiful, realistic, pro faith movie ever made. These types of foolish policies have soured the world to Catholicism, and I think this is what Gibson is experiencing. Someone wrote a book this year (I can't think of the name) discussing the fact that Catholics are the last group left that can be discriminated against, and it is not considered bigotry, or politically incorrect. I think that's true, and that is what Mel Gibson is experiencing.

I doubt the movie will create anti-semetic people. At most, it will reveal those who are already anti-semetic if they use the movie to further their hatred of jews.

Catholics (and Christians at large) do experience discrimination/bigotry, it just doesn't appear on everyone's radar. The same could be said for many other groups. It is not unique.

Perhaps not. I'm a Catholic also, in a state that's maybe 2% Catholic. Back in the '20's the Ku Klux Klan killed a priest on the grounds of the local cathedral. While there is certainly still anti-Catholicism around here it's not as lethal. It's more likely to be in the form of ignorance such as allegations that we worship Mary, or statues, or (I find this strange) that we don't take sin very seriously.

Back
Top Bottom