Those oh so crazy monkeys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Ahhh yes, it's time to start that ever so burning discussion of evolution. Well, I'm not even sure if this belongs here, but I was just wondering if you all believe in evolution. And if you do, do you feel it enfringes on your religion? This is more of a survey kind of thing. See, we're talking about all of the proof of evolution (really, it's fact, not theory anymore) in my advanced placement biology course. The thing is, whenever we talk about it as fact, an individual in my class gets quite upset and says she flat out doesn't believe in any of it. But with all of the scientific evidence, carbon dating of skulls that show the progression of hominids to humans for example, how can you not believe it? Is it more of a pushing the facts aside to for lack of a better term stay religious? Or is it really a "I don't believe in all of this because I believe God created it all as it is now millions of billions of years ago."? Sorry if this is sort of rant-induced, but it makes it hard to have scientific conversations because she just doesn't believe in so much of it (big bang, evolution, etc). Does science enfringe on religion? (oohh, that's a better question) So there it is.

-lil

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Im a geologist who beliwves that the earth is about 5 billion years old. I don't find any conflict with scientific facts or theories with what I would term my own "faith".

Science in my opinion tends to ask more questions about the overall scheme of things than it answers.

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Lilly,
If you use carbon dating to back up the evolution theory, you're betting on something that's not all that reliable.
Carbon dating is known to have had many problems. Read this, as a basic examination of carbon dating, and some of its inherent problems.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/Geek/geek991111.html

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 02-11-2002).]

Ah yes. Well it is an interesting question and should make for a good discussion, but probably falls outside the bounds of what this forum is for (forum description: "This is a general discussion area about U2 and their faith as found in their lyrics, their own words, as well as books written by others on this subject of their spirituality. Not to be used as a platform for debates on religion (please use Free Your Mind for that.)")

Thread moved to FYM. Any questions or concerns...feel free to contact me via email (sulawesigirl@yahoo.com).

Continue discussion....

-sula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom