The Soul Journey: Favorite Spiritual U2 Lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
The Soul Journey: Favorite Spiritual U2 Lyrics

I realize that this should go in 'It's a Musical Journey', but I believe it is very relevant in this forum as well. Sort of a musical journey of the soul. So what is your favorite spiritual lyric and why it has touched you the way it has?

So, my favorite lyric for the soul journey has to be from 'A Sort of Homecoming'

And you know it's time to go
Through the sleet and driving snow
Across the fields of mourning
Light in the distance.

I've always been drawn to these words because of the determination and fortitude of walking on through the sleet and driving snow which seems to speak of journeying on through the troubles and problems of life through fields of mourning, the death of things, of people, of relationships we once shared, to a light in the distance, to a better place then what our eyes now behold, the light of God's radiance, where we find the greatest of beauty, tranquility, healing...with no more tears, no more pain.

This song is filled with so much spiritual imagery, and it was so hard to pick just one from this song. I look forward to hearing from others about their favorite spiritual U2 lyrics.

Chris

Last edited:
Wow, great topic, yet very hard to narrow it down, I'll get things started........this lyric isnt "deep" i suppose, but great from Beautiful Day
"see the dove with the leaf in her mouth, after the flood all the colors came out"

Wake up Dead Man...
Jesus, I'm waiting here, boss
I know you're looking out for us
But maybe your hands aren't free.

Your Father, He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven.
Will you put a word in for me?

Wake up, wake up dead man
Wake up, wake up dead man
-----This is such a honest cry out to God in times of pain! I love this song, the whole thing reminds me alot of Psalm 88....

Thoughts???

I love all of Drowning Man, but especially near the end:

Rise up, rise up
With wings like eagles
You run, you run
You run and not grow weary

I get goosebumps in Tomorrow:

Open up, open up
To the lamb of God
To the love of He who made
The blind to see
He's coming back
He's coming back
I believe it
Jesus coming

I just basically really like all of the October album :yes:

I like Wake Up Dead Man a lot too.

I like Bad... "I?m not sleeping"

I like God Part II and Running to Stand Still and Hallelujah Here She Comes. And Kite.

They are all spiritual songs.

I'd like to hear your interpretation of Running to Stand Still, I've always seen it as a relationship where someone is dealing with addiction. I'm curious of your interpretaion. I always thought Bad was a song of addiction but I can see where you think it's spiritual, that's a new take for me. Halleilujah, I'm not sure about a few lines, but OK.

My favorite is the Wanderer and Still Haven't Found (it's a little obvious, but this is the song that turned me onto U2 and changed a lot of things in my life).

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'd like to hear your interpretation of Running to Stand Still, I've always seen it as a relationship where someone is dealing with addiction. I'm curious of your interpretaion.

I know you asked for another's interpretation, but I thought I'd give my take on 'Running to Stand Still', which in my estimation is also one of the most beautiful titles of a song I've ever heard as well, which goes along with the lines in the song, "You've got to cry without weeping, talking without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

Within the title and this lyric, you find a person who to me is in a deep, spiritual battle. The battle to fill one's life with something that will take the place of "that God-shaped hole', in this case, heroin. So even though we don't necessarily see blatant spiritual, or Christian lyrics with 'RTSS', we do see within the relationship, a person struggling with her demons, being overcome by something stronger, and more darker than he or she could ever have imagined, a drug that begins to exasperate the very life that longs to have and to see and to love the very best that life has to offer, and yet what she thought would bring her happiness, only brings her despair and pain.

So, what we find is the struggle to make the right choice as to Who will and can fill that God-shaped hole. I hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
Awesome analysis of RTSS, Spanisheyes.

One of Bono's most beautiful lyrics- "You have to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

Lately Walk On has had a lot of spiritual insight for me.

I've been going through some really brutal times, both in life and spiritually. I can't seem to make the decisions I need to in order to pull out of this rut I'm in. I know I have a purpose in this life, but I am floating and just can't pick myself up. I feel so far away from God, and we used to have such a cool relationship. I know I have some great musical talents, organizing talents, leadership abilities, etc. I used to use them for such great things, but have hid them all away. In light of all this, I've highlighted some lyrics in Walk On that especially mean a lot to me spiritually:

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong

As if God was saying this to me...

Walk on
Walk on
What you got
You can't deny it
Can't sell it or buy it

I've got to get past this rut and put my abilities to good use

And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
You can only take so much

Walk on
Walk on

Home
That's where the hurt is

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
You can only take so much
Walk on

Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind

All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break

All that you measure
All that you feel
All this you can leave behind

All that you reason
All that you care

It's only time
And I'll never fill up all I find

All that you sense
All that you scheme
All you dress up
And all that you see

All you create
All that you wreck
All that you hate

Everything is meaningless without God...

Then when the Hallelujiahs come in some versions, it's just like I've admitted my shortcomings to God, been told to Walk On, and bust out in worshipping Him!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'd like to hear your interpretation of Running to Stand Still, I've always seen it as a relationship where someone is dealing with addiction. I'm curious of your interpretaion. I always thought Bad was a song of addiction but I can see where you think it's spiritual, that's a new take for me. Halleilujah, I'm not sure about a few lines, but OK.

My favorite is the Wanderer and Still Haven't Found (it's a little obvious, but this is the song that turned me onto U2 and changed a lot of things in my life).

A songs spirituality is not only transferred in the lyrics, but in the melody lines, the musical interpretation, and lots of other parts that make up the whole experience.

Bad is a spiritual song - for me personally - because of events that happened in my life. I wasn?t... sleeping. And the line if I could you know I would if I could I would let it go..... couldn?t I say that about many things... its the expression of let it go alone that makes the song spiritual.

Remember, we are not talking of religion here, but of spirituality, even if both things are connected. I take lyrics very personal. This is why for me, "I still haven?t found" is a less spiritual song than Bad, f.e. Because well, yeah, I have done this and that and that and this and stuff, and who has truly found what he?s looking for?

"a person struggling with her demons, being overcome by something stronger, and more darker than he or she could ever have imagined"

spanisheyes nailed it down right to the point

"home thats where the hurt is" is a very spiritual line as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I agree with these interpretations totally. I guess my definition of spirituality is a little different. I guess when I think of something being spiritual, it's of and pertaining having the 'spirit' or the journey towards the 'spirit'. And Running to Stand Still was always a song of someone losing the spirit, to me there wasn't ever really a point in the song where there was repentance, sort of speak. Her "fill" was taking her further away from where she wanted to be, but there never seem to be an awakening point. That's just my take. Don't get me wrong I think there are some truly dark spiritual songs, for the journey can often be very dark. But this song for me just kept walking towards the dark instead of walking towards the light while standing in the dark.
But thanks I like this discussion.

i'd say when bono shouts "I BELIEVE JESUS IS COMING!" that gets my blood flowin a tad.

and stuck in a moment....just the whole thing. :sigh:

spanisheyes said:

I know you asked for another's interpretation, but I thought I'd give my take on 'Running to Stand Still', which in my estimation is also one of the most beautiful titles of a song I've ever heard as well, which goes along with the lines in the song, "You've got to cry without weeping, talking without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

Within the title and this lyric, you find a person who to me is in a deep, spiritual battle. a drug that begins to exasperate the very life that longs to have and to see and to love the very best that life has to offer, and yet what she thought would bring her happiness, only brings her despair and pain.

Chris

That's awesome Chris. And I can't help but notice the playing of words, the irony that Bono has written the lyrics with. The very title even says it...."Running To Stand Still.".

And I :heart: your interpretation of "A Sort Of Homecoming" BTW. I always thought it was about death and going back home to God, but your take makes a lot of sense too. Homecoming may actually be the light after the difficult journey.

I kind of see a similarity of that song with "Hallelujah Here She Comes" in this particular the line "I see the road is rough, you know I'm not giving up". The spiritual journey is quite difficult, with all the temptations, obstacles and even persecution, but the person is determined to go after his goal.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
just kept walking towards the dark instead of walking towards the light while standing in the dark.

yes, agreed... this can be a spiritual journey as well...

Mysterious Ways

One day you will look...back
And you'll see...where
You were held...how
By this love...while
You could stand...there
You could move on this moment
Follow this feeling

This makes me think of how often our lives are touch by God through the Holy Spirit and we don't even know it. How often in my life, have I been blessed and not known it, or acknowledged it.

Peace to all.....

This may be my favorite thread of all time.

When Love Comes To Town

I was there when they crucified my Lord
I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword.
I threw the dice when they pierced his side
But I've seen love conquer the great divide.

The words "conquer the great divide" really hit describing what Jesus accomplished on the cross.

nbcrusader said:
When Love Comes To Town

The words "conquer the great divide" really hit describing what Jesus accomplished on the cross.

:yes:

This is the lyric I instantly thought of when I saw this thread title. "When Love Comes To Town" is one of my top 10 U2 songs ever! I'm just re-reading the lyrics now - brilliant song!

I like Gloria's unabashed cry of joy. Singing that song along with Bono fills me with God's joy! I know that Bono has said that he feels Gloria is too naive now when he looks back at it, but that's what I like about it: it's youthful joy, its simplicity.

I also like Rejoice for the same reason.

Simple, but heartfelt.

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is so special...kind of discussion that really matters in the end, when one thinks why this band is so unique. Congrats and thanks dear Chris for bringing it up. :up:

Me? I agree with lots of things I read before, some great interpretations, as usual among brilliant minds and hearts we have here.

But, if I had to pick just one song, given some very hard times I have been through, I would say Gone. The whole song reflects a soul journey these days for me, you know, from total despair to some redemption. I?m sorry if it sounds weird or out of place for you, but I feel this song as a message from God to me. As if He were describing what has happened inside me while at the same time He points me a way out...I should not coming down, because He?ll be up with the sun, He?s not coming down... It?s one of those things, you know...really, really hard to explain...even worse in a foreign language. I?ll shut up now...but please read the lyrics on my perspective. It won?t do no harm, I think.

You get to feel so guilty
Got so much for so little
Then you find that feeling
Just won't go away

You're holding on to every little thing so tightly
'Til there's nothing left for you anyway

Goodbye...
You can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

You wanted to get somewhere so badly
You had to lose yourself along the way
You change your name, well that's okay, it's necessary
And what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

Goodbye...
You can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

'Cause I'm already gone
Felt that way all along
Closer to you every day
I didn't want it that much anyway

You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

Goodbye...
And it's emotional
Good night...
I'll be up with the sun
You're still holding on
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

Gone...sun...time...sun...
Gone...sun....gone...sun...
Sun...

martha said:
I like Gloria's unabashed cry of joy. Singing that song along with Bono fills me with God's joy! I know that Bono has said that he feels Gloria is too naive now when he looks back at it, but that's what I like about it: it's youthful joy, its simplicity.

I also like Rejoice for the same reason.

Simple, but heartfelt.

:heart:

Yes Martha...the opening lines of Gloria, along with as you mentioned, the unbashed cry of joy in Bono's voice is amazing.

Chris

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
When Love Comes To Town

I love "When Love comes To Town". Recently I got the 89/90 New Year version with B.B. King live - maaaaaaah he is sooo great! Especially that he simply changes the melody of the Chorus and it sounds even better - this is pure Blues spirit. Di8d you realize the change? It?s the second "Love" in the Chorus, it?s one note higher which changes the chord from minor to major. And Bono digs it too...

yeah I know, I said 'dodo'

But I went out the back door
And I threw away the key

Most Christian songs are about what we should do but these lines from The First Time are about what we do do. We're always throwing it away..

the famous rungi

famous rungi:
Most Christian songs are about what we should do but these lines from The First Time are about what we do do.

That's a great way to put it. I think Bono's lyrics chronicle not only his joy and peace in God, but his journey and struggles in following Him/falling away from Him. Bono has taken a lot of heat from critics (Christian and non) for certain lyrics and lifestyle issues. While I agree that he has had a bit of a wild streak, I don't think the critics will admit that every Christian will struggle with their faith to some extent throughout their lives; this is simply a case where Bono's struggles are archived for everyone to hear.

Getting back to your statement, I think the songs about struggling (Wake Up Dead Man, The First Time, etc.) are just as important to me spiritually as anything.

I was driving home from San Diego today and was listening to Walk On. The following lyrics caught my ear causing me to listen to the song over and over

"You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been
A place that has to be believed to be seen"

What struck me is that the world's message is "you have to see it to believe it". God's message is "believe it to see it".

What a beautiful thought.

nbcrusader said:

What struck me is that the world's message is "you have to see it to believe it". God's message is "believe it to see it".

Beautiful thought indeed...great insight there nbcrusader!

Chris

nbcrusader said:

I took a personal interpretation to this line - inferring it to my wife who died at 35. She was sick with breast cancer for a couple of years prior and it became more evident that she was not going to receive the repreive we were hoping and praying for. I could see that she had to prepare to leave her 3 young children and myself behind (at least for the time being). The entire Album of ATYCLB really helped me work through a lot of my issues over losing her - especially the songs "Walk On" and "Kite". The imperative to "Walk On" despite the struggles of raising my kids and dealing with my own troublesome moods had helped give me encouragement and strength at a time whenI truly needed it. That line in particulary makes me mindful of mine and my suitcase's destination and reminds me to pack accordingly.

hey all, sorry it's been a while...

No one's mentioned this one yet, it's my favorite, from ISHFWILF:

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
Well yes I'm still running

It's so strong and direct a statement of faith, and gives a wonderful vision of what will be...

I also like this from Grace:

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What let a mark
No longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

just a great way of explaining things...

I learned a lot from these lyrics!

Gloria, too, for the reasons said :)

Hi, I'm new.
This is my 3rd or 4th post but
I'd have to say that,
just for today,
it's been "a beautiful day".
I've been dealing with alot of negative emotions and
harrassing thought patterns
been trying to get out of it
and clean the house.
So, I put in ATYCLB and dusted, dusted
& polished the woodwork while
listening to ATYCLB
and I've been thinking
even though we mess up in our lives
even if we screw up in a BIG WAY
God still wants us to be positive
and He still wants us to seek His face
and
it really is
a beautiful day.

Best Wishes

Welcome to the forum Sarah, and to The Goal is Soul...we hope you won't be a stranger, but visit often. I agree with you on ATYCLB...I think in years to come, people will see that it is indeed one of U2's heaviest albums with deep meanings all meant to encourage in these times of loneliness and despair.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom