The Gospel According to Mr. Johnny Cash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 Bama loves Johnny Cash.

I must profess my ignorance about the man.

I did go to the movie on Dec. 4th before going to see U2 the same day.

I loved it, and for the last few weeks have pretty much listened to nothing but Cash.

The Man in Black is still relavent today and I feel like I have just descovered my singing range.

Thanks for this thread.

Peace.

It's back to the scene of the crime, so to speak, for Walk the Line, the Johnny Cash biopic starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon.

Folsom State Prison near Sacramento, Calif., has asked 20th Century Fox to screen the film for its prisoners, and Phoenix, who plays Cash in the movie, has agreed to attend the screening, Variety reports.

Folsom Prison proved to be a pivotal point in Cash's career when the "Man in Black" played a live concert there in 1968 at the request of many inmates. The show came at a time when Cash's own life was nearly in shambles.

"Only 13 days before the concert, (Cash's) previous marriage had completely dissolved, he was just kicking drugs, and it was the first time he was really able to look clear-eyed to June Carter as both a husband and father. And as an artist for the first time he was in control of the black horse that was dragging him down," Walk the Line director James Mangold tells Variety.

Cash's concert not only inspired the performer, it inspired many inmates as well. It's a tradition Phoenix hopes the screening can continue.

"John believed in the power of redemption and offered his unique gift to anyone who needed to find it within then, and in the process, he inspired millions," Phoenix said. "I can think of no greater way to honor him than to carry on his legacy of using music to connect to all people."

The screening, which will take place Jan. 3, is organized by the Folsom Prison Fellowship, which ministers to prisoners, ex-prisoners and their families.

Awesome thread, thanks!

I'm a Johnny Cash rookie, I've just started listening to him - inspired by Bono's mentioning of the song "A Boy Named Sue" in the RS November interview! - and now I'm a total fan! :D

I just had to get to know more, so I began reading the Johnny Cash autobiography and I'm so filled with respect and gratitude over this man's destiny. His wisdom, his wit, his upfront attitude, his pride... and of course, his thoughts on FAITH. All of this really helps me going through a lot of grief right now... reading and listening to how he dealt with grief and life in genera. I sure can see how Bono has been inspired by Cash in many ways.

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to see the movie - thanks for the trailer link! - as it hasn't opened at my place yet. I think I will get more out of the film having read the autobiography, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom