The catholic stuff during Elevation Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I don't come to this forum very often, so Im not sure if you've discussed it but does anyone know why the boys had a bit of the catholic thing happening during the Elevation tour?

Edge had the statue of Mary sitting up on his mixing thingie and Bono knelt down and made the sign of the cross at both concerts I saw.
Anyone read or heard them talk about it?
I figured Bono was making the sign of the cross in honour of his father.

Being catholic myself, it kinda intrigued me from inside the heart, to see Mary looking down over a rock concert.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I was always curious about him kneeling down and performing the sign of the cross before the show began.. I think he started this from the beginning of the tour, though I can't be sure. I don't think it has so much to do with his father as it does to do with him giving thanks and/or asking God to be with him during the concert.

I think it's interesting how he genuflects to the audience, as if we are his alter and he is our servant. If he was doing it solely to/for God you would think he might even turn around and do it in Larry's direction, or look up and do it. Instead he kneels down as if he is at someone's foot.

------------------
She makes you watch her from above

*U2 Take Me Higher*

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
I just never consciously realized it's partly BECAUSE he faced us. But that is consistent with my feeling at the show that God was indeed moving in all of us collectively.

I have a theory that they also intentionally symbolize this truth when they light up the audience so completely that you are blinded to the band, in moments like the beginning of Streets.

I love the opening prayer moment, especially since Anglicans (which his mom was and I am), Lutherans, and Orthodox also cross themselves (at least many do)... so the gesture actually can be read as pretty inclusive.

Originally posted by mebythesea:
I love the opening prayer moment, especially since Anglicans (which his mom was and I am), Lutherans, and Orthodox also cross themselves (at least many do)... so the gesture actually can be read as pretty inclusive.

That's what I was going to say; I've even seen Methodists do it.

~U2Alabama

Gee, ZA, I didn't know Mary was in on it, too!

Nice observation, olive -- I was always moved by that moment of prayer and submission, too; I just never consciously realized it's partly BECAUSE he faced us. But that is consistent with my feeling at the show that God was indeed moving in all of us collectively. And with what I've come to hear in WOWY, that he sings to -- and is moved by -- the audience AND God... as if the audience is the face of God. And having said that, it's no wonder my soul broke open that night, and my little old self ran out of excuses for its littleness, and has been expanding ever since...

*in awe all over again*
Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by zooropamanda:

Edge had the statue of Mary sitting up on his mixing thingie

Are you serious? That really surprises me, actually. I didn't think Edge thought of himself as Catholic at all. I know Bono doesn't have any particular affiliation either but any religious gestures he would make surprise me a lot less, somehow.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

it fascinated me so much that I took a pic. i hope it turns out. so you can see it.

3345437923232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3A7%3E854%3Ewsnrcg%3D323239%3B%3A38%3C65nu0mrj

Mary

zooropamanda said:
it fascinated me so much that I took a pic. i hope it turns out. so you can see it.

3345437923232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3A7%3E854%3Ewsnrcg%3D323239%3B%3A38%3C65nu0mrj

Hmmm...I'm surprised too! I thought The Edge didn't consider himself a Catholic. In one show, Bono metioned that The Edge thought that Catholicism is too 'glam rock' for him. Was the statue of Mary at every show, Zooropamanda, would you know?

I don't think that Edge is Catholic (didn't Bono call him the zen Presbyterian?).

As a Catholic, I offer my 2 cents ...

Anyway, I believe that Catholics in Ireland have a special fondness for Mary ... There is a shrine to Mary in Knock where Mary is said to have appeared with two or three other saints whose names escape me at the moment. This may be going out on a limb, but with the predominance of Catholic culture in Ireland that a fondness for Mary has "rubbed off' on other Christian denominations (don't flam me if I'm wrong ... this is just a guess).

Second, to clear up misconceptiosn abotu what Catholics believe about praying to Mary ... We don't pray to Mary because we believe that she will perform a miracle and answer our prayers. Mary is more like a good friend who we can talk to and who will take our concerns to Jesus (like other Christians, we believe that Jesus is the only mediator between God and ourselves). Saints and Mary help us as models and intercessors. They teach us how to pray and discern God's will. They also go with us to Jesus supporting us in our faith and worries. Then it is up to Jesus to do the rest. For example, take the wedding at Caanna ... shows clearly what Mary's role is. She intercedes with her Son for the newly wed couple Jesus rebukes her not to tell her that she should refrain from interceding but to let her know that it was his decision as to whether, when and how he would help the couple. He is the master, the sole mediator. Mary accepts. She does not insist with her Son but prepares the servants to follow Jesus' order. We understand how Mary acts on our behalf: She brings our concerns before the Lord, entrusts them to his infinite wisdom, and tells us to listen and follow Jesus' will.

Wow ... that was almost scary ... I normally don't go on about religion that much ... guess all those years in a Catholic school have finally caught up with me.

I thought that Edge wasn't Catholic and that Bono and Larry were raised Catholic, but know don't consider themselves Catholics and for Adam, I don't what religion he was or is or believes in?

Can ne 1 help with that?

Here is another photo where Edge is standing in front of his mixing board (?) and you can see the BVM behind him.

Wow, JessicaAnn. You really did a great job putting that into words. It's hard to explain the relationship that Catholic's have with Mary. :up:

Attachments

• sjedgebvm.jpg
    sjedgebvm.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 77
adamswildhoney said:
I thought that Edge wasn't Catholic and that Bono and Larry were raised Catholic, but know don't consider themselves Catholics and for Adam, I don't what religion he was or is or believes in? Can ne 1 help with that?

Yup... altho I do not know about Adam, I do know about the other 3.

Edge was raised Presbyterian. Bono was raised Church of Ireland (Anglican) until his Mom died -- his Dad was Roman Catholic but turned over religious instruction to her. Larry was raised Roman Catholic. Those 3 later all left those affiliations in order to join a nondenominational Christian charismatic community called Shalom, but quit Shalom shortly after the October album.

I *assume* Adam's family has to have been some kind of Protestant though, becuase of that famous quip about u2 being "5/8ths Protestant." Larry+ half of Bono would be 3/8ths, Edge+ Adam+ other half of Bono would be 5/8ths.

I think they've all made it fairly clear they don't consider themselves to have any denominational affiliation now. I do know that their informal sometime band "chaplain," Jack Heaslip (who did Bono's dad's funeral, did the opening blessing over the Elevation Tour, tried to broker that meeting with Eugene Peterson, etc.) , is a charismatic Anglican priest.

adamswildhoney said:
yeah Jessica, U did a great job of describing what Mary means to Catholics.

Thanks to everyone who said something like this ...

I guess as a Catholic woman, in times of crisis, it has been helpful for me to look to and "talk to" another female spiritual model (because most times Jesus and God are portyayed at men).

I guess it just helps me to think about how Mary, her life ... she probably went through a lot of the same things I, as a woman, am going through (fears, anxiety, joys, etc).

JessicaAnn said:

Thanks to everyone who said something like this ...

I guess as a Catholic woman, in times of crisis, it has been helpful for me to look to and "talk to" another female spiritual model (because most times Jesus and God are portyayed at men).

I guess it just helps me to think about how Mary, her life ... she probably went through a lot of the same things I, as a woman, am going through (fears, anxiety, joys, etc).

Jessica I loved what you wrote as well. Very insightful.

I do this too sometimes- actually, I was wondering if anyone else did, but to see God when we pray/talk as a woman rather than the universal image of a man. It gives me great comfort when I do that. After all- we were all made in "His" image.. so the idea of God being as equally a woman as a man is very comforting to me.

Originally posted by mebythesea [/i]

Yup... altho I do not know about Adam, I do know about the other 3.

Thank u for clearing that up for me! I was just curious.

I agree with u Olive and Jessica.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom