The Bono and Billy Graham Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I don't think so. Graham had almost universal appeal with conservative and liberal Christians alike, Bono doesn't quite have that appeal. Plus you even have several "Christians" in here that don't even believe Bono's a real Christian.

Bono has been close (shared his faith) with both President Clinton and Bush. And he has almost single handedly gotten the Africa Crisis on the radar screens of Americans both left and right.

Last edited:
Jara's Song said:
Bono has been close (shared his faith) with both President Clinton and Bush. And almost single handedly gotten the Africa Crisis on the radar screens of American both left and right.

Yes but he's still a rock star, and lives a somewhat rock n roll life. Just take a look in here some accuse him of not really being saved, being a "trendy unitarian", can't be a Christian and drink, etc.

I think Bono's done some great work and is an excellent example of a disciple, but he just doesn't have the universal appeal that Graham does, he never will.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yes but he's still a rock star, and lives a somewhat rock n roll life. Just take a look in here some accuse him of not really being saved, being a "trendy unitarian", can't be a Christian and drink, etc.

Apparently he.....respects people of other faiths......I mean isn't that a bit....undevout????? :reject:

I heard he even has friends who are ATHEISTS!!!

Doesn't he know the non-believers will burn in hell??

financeguy - don't hijack this thread (even though I like your irreverence).

Jara's Song is asking a legitimate question. (I loved Victor Jara)

While I don't believe Bono right now could replace Graham as far as being the most influential Christian in the world, I will open the possibility that in the years to come as the Rock Star glow begins to dim, he just may become a very influential person in contemporary Christian thinking.

And I feel we would all be the better for it.

Thanks, Jara's Song, for a thoughtful post.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Bad Templar said:

It's such an honour to be quoted....or misquoted as the case may be. :wink:

You're not the one I was refering to. I realize you referenced it, but you never actually accused Bono of that.

Jamila said:
financeguy - don't hijack this thread (even though I like your irreverence).

Jara's Song is asking a legitimate question. (I loved Victor Jara)

While I don't believe Bono right now could replace Graham as far as being the most influential Christian in the world, I will open the possibility that in the years to come as the Rock Star glow begins to dim, he just may become a very influential person in contemporary Christian thinking.

And I feel we would all be the better for it.

Thanks, Jara's Song, for a thoughtful post.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila I think your definetly headed in the right direction. Eventually when he is older I think and isn't rocking quite as hard, the people who are doubtful will come around and see him and his faith for what it is.

Billy Graham was and is a great man who has done so much good in this world. I think Bono is the same way. A man with a good heart who believes deeply in his faith.

As for him living a rock n roll life, until you've walked in his shoes you won't ever really know what his life has been like behind closed doors.

Russty Cat said:

As for him living a rock n roll life, until you've walked in his shoes you won't ever really know what his life has been like behind closed doors.

Um, he's been pretty open about it...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Um, he's been pretty open about it...

He has been pretty open, but we'll never know exactly what has been going on. Most people take what Bono says in interviews worth a grain of salt.

I just get tired I guess of hearing how he can't be a real christian, because he drinks or has done things in the past that weren't good in someone elses eyes. We are all human and who are we to judge someone elses life. In my opinion the only person someone has to answer to for their life is God.

I think that Bono might be able to come close to the influence of Billy Grahm, but only if he became a preacher. He would make a good preacher, but I think he would probably have to give up rock and roll because alot of people wouldn't take him seriously if he didn't. There have been a few famous people in the past (and present) who have become ministers, especially athletes. I can see him being a missionary more than a pastor, though, since he seems to have a calling for helping the poor.

I'm sorry...I usually don't even come in here (kinda stumbled in tonight)...but eeewwww!!! The thought makes me shudder. :yikes:

And, yeah, I'm leaving now...as quickly as I can....

Back
Top Bottom