the band's belief - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:57 PM
the band's belief

I have come to terms of knowing that all of the U2 members are Christian (maybe with the exeption of Adam).

but I have one question, were they churched? as you can call it. Do they come from being involved in a local church in Dublin? are they still practesing christians? ie going to church, read bible, pray?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 05:57 PM
You should read U2 by U2.
It explains everything. It's a long story...

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 07:57 PM
I would also recommend "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2" by Steve Stockman. It is a long and complicated story.

Dana
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Bono has read the Bible. He knows it inside out.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Bono has read the Bible. He knows it inside out.

You know, I actully found a verse that talks about "the windows of heaven"! I had been wondering how Bono came up with the phrase "Window in the Skies." Maybe that's where he got it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
I cannot read Psalm 40 without hearing the music of "40" put to it. That song is almost an exact copy of that verse. I love it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There's that one pastor they bring on the road with them. What's his name? He's kind of like their counselor in a sense.

I've been following the guys' faith for years. In fact, their faith inspired me to become a committed Christian. Bono, in particular, lives a faith that is at times awe-inspiring. And Adam has his own faith, too. The members really get back to what Christ was really all about.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
There's that one pastor they bring on the road with them. What's his name? He's kind of like their counselor in a sense.

I've been following the guys' faith for years. In fact, their faith inspired me to become a committed Christian. Bono, in particular, lives a faith that is at times awe-inspiring. And Adam has his own faith, too. The members really get back to what Christ was really all about.
Jack Heaslip. He was one of their teachers in high school, and he's now an Anglican minister. He's part of a great church going in Dublin. I would love to visit it.
http://www.corechurch.ie/
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Is he the one that married Bono and Ali?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Is he the one that married Bono and Ali?
Yes!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
[B And Adam has his own faith, too. [/B]

What would that be then?
Old 01-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

What would that be then?
Nobody knows. It's his business really.

I did hear Bono say in an interview once that, "it's taken Adam a while, but he has found his own path"....

Whatever that means
Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #13
The Fly

Re: the band's belief

Quote:
Originally posted by Earl-Of-IMDb
I have come to terms of knowing that all of the U2 members are Christian (maybe with the exeption of Adam).

but I have one question, were they churched? as you can call it. Do they come from being involved in a local church in Dublin? are they still practesing christians? ie going to church, read bible, pray?
I have serious doubts about their beliefs in Christ as Savior and Master.

Why is Bono stressing "Help the Poor" so much? That all points to him and the band and all their "good works".

shame shame on those who do not. It's all works-righteousness. Yeah, it looks good and IS GOOD.

According to Scripture--Jesus even said the main point of His cross was His blood and the saving Grace it provides in SALVATION from SINS. He died on the cross with His blood to free us from sin and God the Father forgave us because of that price.

Not to try and do good works and to be kind and generous to the poor. I'm taking this from:

Jesus Anointed at Bethany--John 12
1Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. 3Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

4But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5"Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." 6He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

7"Leave her alone," Jesus replied. " It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

9Meanwhile a large crowd of Jews found out that Jesus was there and came, not only because of him but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. 10So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, 11for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and putting their faith in him.

It's in John 12 - 15
Plus many other places in Scripture, about Christ's payment freeing us from the slavery of trying to please some kind of "Father" that's a tyrannical monster. NO. That's not Scriptural.

Well, the point, being . . . wasn't Judas brought up by circumstances to look good in men's eyes by being a "helper of the poor" (because he was the treasurer of the disciples) and the whole point of being a hypocrite (Pharisee) is being thought great in man's eyes. You (determined-in-your-heart) that you're more concerned for people's approval or your own reputation than God's approval--you aren't searching the beatitudes, you aren't searching out Christ's teachings and Who He Is etc., as compared to who you are, (a slime ball needing forgiveness)
Really quite simple, some people say the number of the beast 666 is (quite SIMPLY) John 6:66
they followed Him NOT.

they didn't care for His teaching--didn't care for the Word of Christ and left it.

the works you are doing and how much it applies to you etc. totally hypocritical. Not trying to judge Bono because there IS A GREAT NEED IN AMERICA TO SHOW COMPASSION AND MERCY on the poor.OK May the Lord show His Mercy on our country.
ok.
just trying to make a point and understand some of this.
Hope
Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
Acrobat

Wow nozomi...this argument made very little sense. Bono screams this because he sees a real, solvable need and sees that if we humans were to just look a little bit away from our own selves and towards others...at least some of the need could be met. Yes, according to his interviews, his belief in a loving God who intended for his people, the church, to be his hands and feet, does drive his motivations...but this doesn't mean that he's doing it for 'works based' salvation.....
Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

This was one of the most nonsenical posts I have EVER read on this board. And I've read a lot of them. It makes me so upset and angry to read something like that.

I am not a great believer, I believe in what I see, and I see that there are people dying and need help. And Bono is out there, giving all his time and energy to help these people. These DEEDS are more important than anything else. I don't care about religion. I want to see someone walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. A Christian who does not practise love for his neighbour is a hypocrite IMO. And the majority of Bono's work is in the background, no one sees it, no one knows about it, except the people involved.

He is a human being, made of flesh and blood, with mistakes at all. Bono has never asked to be considered a savior. He just does what he believes he has to do, while others are just talking.

Bono, for me, is someone who really LIVES his faith. And as a person who is not religious this is something I totally respect and admire.

Closed Thread