The Anti-Christ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali Rose

New Yorker
OK i'd like to start this thread with an official
:lol: BWAHAHAHAHAHAH :laugh:

My [not "EX" enough] Ex had this thought about Bono possibly being the anti-christ. While making me laugh hysterically, this also turned into quite an arguement. While I couldn't possibly imagine such a good soul being the one and only Anti Christ *giggles again* he was telling me how the AntiChrist is supposed to be this powerful person that everybody loves and ends up being fooled by in the end. I didn't want to discuss it anymore because A. it is absolutely RECKOCULOUS and B. I simply don't know enough about the Anti Christ to argue the point. Can anyone tell me or give me some chapters of the Bible that may help me on this subject??? Or any personal thoughts on the subject??? Thanks!

:laugh: *still trying to compose self*

mebythesea said:
well...The Anti-Christ probably won't, uh, believe in Christ?:rolleyes:

Well said. Couldn't have said it better. :D

I didn't knew though that the title 'Anti Christ' was a real name for somebody in the bible. I just thought it would be a nickname for Bono.............and I thought it would just be that he got the name because he doubted and asked so much about the Church when he was a kid........ :scratch:

See I kind of thought that......

He was saying that the Anti Christ was supposed to fool everybody into believing he WAS The Christ Himself.....

I also heard about The AC being the head of a one world Government and world peace being the beginning of the end.......And the whole "Can Bono save the World" Time magazine cover was one of Ex's examples.

*goes to re-read Revelations*

Well, look at it this way. A real Anti-Christ will have to fool at least the Southern Baptist Convention, because they do have too much of an influence over America, at least indirectly.

What do I see the Anti-Christ being? A very powerful individual, who contorts Jesus into a very hateful individual, who only loves certain Christian sects. He'll be big into the idea of "born-again," which will very much appeal to the shattered home life of most Americans ("desperation" is a dangerous emotion, indeed). He'll have to be very charismatic, but the doctine he will expouse will be wholly incorrect; much like the advent of the Pharisees, who assumed the position of being the most "religious" people during Jesus' day--and ended up rejecting Christ the most. Our breakdown of objective education and the general amnesia towards our own world history will only fuel this demise. Since everyone is looking for a "liberal" Anti-Christ, most of you will be blindsided, just as the prophesies state.

Comments?

Melon

Last edited:
real Anti-Christ will have to fool at least the Southern Baptist Convention, because they do have too much of an influence over America, at least indirectly.

hey hey hey - the pastor of my church was just elected president of the SBC! :sexywink: However, I *do not* consider myself Baptist. Anyway - why do you think this, Melon? I'm just curious. I can see their influence here in the southern U.S., but nationally?

A very powerful individual, who contorts Jesus into a very hateful individual, who only loves certain Christian sects. He'll be big into the idea of "born-again," which will very much appeal to the shattered home life of most Americans ("desperation" is a dangerous emotion, indeed). He'll have to be very charismatic, but the doctine he will expouse will be wholly incorrect; much like the advent of the Pharisees, who assumed the position of being the most "religious" people during Jesus' day--and ended up rejecting Christ the most. Our breakdown of objective education and the general amnesia towards our own world history will only fuel this demise. Since everyone is looking for a "liberal" Anti-Christ, most of you will be blindsided, just as the prophesies state.

I agree with what you said, Melon, and I'll add a few more. From several books I've read that speculate on who the AC is, and what he might be like, some characteristics might be:
  • He'll be in a high political office (possibly in the UN);
  • he'll be very charismatic, very engaging;
  • he will seem very loving and gentle, but it's just be a coverup for his "true" evil self;
  • he'll be very good-looking, appealing to both women AND men;
    very knowledgeable about a great many things (i.e., people will wonder how he knows all this stuff?);
  • he may know many languages fluently, which will appeal to the world;
  • he may be a homosexual and may "illegalize" the father-mother-kids family unit, to go against what God intended with Adam and Eve;
  • he will create a great lie about what happened to the millions of people around the world who disappeared in Christ's rapture;
  • he will have the power/charisma to create a false peace with a 7-year "truce" between Israel and Palestine....but after 3.5 years, he will break this truce and wreak havoc on the world;
  • he may even have the power to exert a type of hypnosis to "blind" people to the Truth;
  • he will probably control the world's media and banking facilities (which are even now merging to create fewer, but more powerful, corporations);
  • he will literally make life a living hell on earth...things like the Inquisition and the Holocaust will seem like a picnic in the park in comparison;
  • he will do everything in his power to crush the Jews and Christians;
  • he may bring back types of unusual punishment such as concentration camps, public beheadings and medieval-type tortures
  • and of course, he will control everything we buy and sell by forcing people to take a mark on their hand or their forehead--and to make a pledge acknowledging that *he* is God.

Whatever you do - don't take that mark! It will NOT be a pleasant time to be alive, folks. :sad:

Last edited:
Yup---Sounds like Bono to me....:huh: :lol: :laugh:

Thanks for the info---BTW which book/books did you find this stuff in???

Discoteque said:
hey hey hey - the pastor of my church was just elected president of the SBC! :sexywink: However, I *do not* consider myself Baptist. Anyway - why do you think this, Melon? I'm just curious. I can see their influence here in the southern U.S., but nationally?

The South, like any part of the U.S., is not an island. What makes the South particularly powerful, however, is their political influence. Look at the presidents and presidential-candidates of the last few years. Look at the cabinet of our current president. Look at the make-up and platform of both the Republican and Democratic parties. We are, needless to say, very much influenced by the thoughts and perceptions of the South, whether what they believe transcends borders or not.

What scares me is the rise of the fundamentalist SBC, which doesn't bother just because they are "fundamentalist." It bothers me that the leadership of the SBC systematically invaded the Baptist religion, which, by nature, accepted decentralized independence of faith over uniformity. It was the Baptist church, needless to say, that must be credited with the "separation of church and state" back in the early 1800s.

I'm frightened over the reality that the SBC thrives on ignorance of history and ignorance of religion in general. Their translations on the Bible are not reliable by most independent Biblical scholars--but they will tell you that they are "99.9% accurate." What they don't tell you is all of their scholars are all the same SBC followers. Individuals like Jerry Falwell try and reiterate that the U.S. was "founded on Judeo-Christian values," despite the fact that our Founding Fathers were generally agnostic or Unitarian, and out of all of our presidents, were probably the most anti-religious. You have groups like Focus on the Family that, on the outside, look "family friendly." Heck, Dr. James Dobson is always on the television or the radio being all nice and telling us nice stories about how to raise our children, right? His group is also an active Republican PAC that carries out the largest "homosexual conversion" quackery worldwide (such methods were dismissed in the 1970s by secular American doctors). He is, by no means, a simple "family friendly" individual.

Regardless of whether you agree with me specifically on the above, our greatest evil currently is the evil of ignorance. The people whom we are told to respect are flat out lying to us, and most of us are falling for it. Doesn't that trouble any of you?

I agree with what you said, Melon, and I'll add a few more. From several books I've read that speculate on who the AC is, and what he might be like, some characteristics might be:
  • He'll be in a high political office (possibly in the UN);

• The UN? Yes, I've heard of that, but the UN does not trump national policy. The U.S. has every right to ignore the UN without consequences. But what organization does transcend national policy? The WTO.

[*]he'll be very charismatic, very engaging;

Admittedly, this is a given. Do you imagine a cold, distant, stiff individual conquering our minds and hearts? Even Hitler, for all his evil, must be described as charismatic.

[*]he will seem very loving and gentle, but it's just be a coverup for his "true" evil self;

Again, this is another given.

[*]he'll be very good-looking, appealing to both women AND men;

A guess. There is nothing to back this statement up, but is only a testament to our superficiality.

very knowledgeable about a great many things (i.e., people will wonder how he knows all this stuff?);
    [*]he may know many languages fluently, which will appeal to the world;

Again, a testament to our stereotypes.

[*]he may be a homosexual and may "illegalize" the father-mother-kids family unit, to go against what God intended with Adam and Eve;

This bothers me. In fact, I think homophobia and intolerance towards gays is a sign of great evil being disguised in "piety." Adam and Eve are creation myths, pure and simple, and perfectly correspond with creation myths of non-Judeo-Christian cultures of the same period. These were created during the era of "oral tradition" to overthrow the matriarchal tribal culture, which exulted women and homosexuals, while degraded heterosexual men. As enough time passed, these myths were written down as "truth," where no one was the wiser.

Regardless, we also have Jesus' own example. The "lepers" of Jesus' day were omitted from salvation by the Pharisees through no fault of their own, but Jesus rejected such legalism. It is also our challenge to reject legalism within our plain view.

[*]he will create a great lie about what happened to the millions of people around the world who disappeared in Christ's rapture;

Read my "Popular Apocalypticism" thread in this forum. It shows the true origins of "the rapture," and it isn't Biblical.

[*]he will have the power/charisma to create a false peace with a 7-year "truce" between Israel and Palestine....but after 3.5 years, he will break this truce and wreak havoc on the world;

"7" and "3" are very symbolic numbers, now aren't they?

[*]he may even have the power to exert a type of hypnosis to "blind" people to the Truth;

You don't need "hypnosis." Just send people through the American educational system, and they'll never know the difference between truth and fiction.

[*]he will probably control the world's media and banking facilities (which are even now merging to create fewer, but more powerful, corporations);

This is silly.

[*]he will literally make life a living hell on earth...things like the Inquisition and the Holocaust will seem like a picnic in the park in comparison;

Well, he'll need people to carry out his Holocaust, now won't he?

[*]he will do everything in his power to crush the Jews and Christians;

Not necessarily. I believe he'll be aided by self-righteous Christians, who will destroy those sects, Christian and non-Christian, they deem to be "evil."

[*]he may bring back types of unusual punishment such as concentration camps, public beheadings and medieval-type tortures

Again, aided by people, of course.

[*]and of course, he will control everything we buy and sell by forcing people to take a mark on their hand or their forehead--and to make a pledge acknowledging that *he* is God.

And God shall know our hearts, if such a thing would happen. I doubt He is so petty that He'll damn those forced unto marks.

I must warn you, though, the first coming of Christ was expected (by the Pharisees) to usher in a warrior Christ to exult Israel and smash all enemies, exulting Israel to the greatest kingdom ever. What do many sects expect the second coming of Christ to be? A warrior Christ to destroy our enemies, exulting His followers to the greatest "kingdom" ever, Heaven. We must be on-guard not to be misinterpreting the Bible, and seeing such ideas as "the Rapture" going about, which was invented as a counter-Reformation technique by a Jesuit priest, I fear it is too late. Ignorance shall be our downfall, and we shall be the ones to usher in our own demise. Ask yourself this: does the "Apocalypse" seem like the creation of a "loving" God or a "vengeful" God?

Melon

If my last post has offended anyone, I apologize ahead of time. I am a "thinker," by all means, and I often hypothesize as I type. That doesn't mean that my ideas are monolithic. I may certainly change my mind tomorrow on some of this stuff. By no means, as well, am I a spiteful individual. I don't hate all Baptists and I don't hate all fundamentalists. When I refer to the SBC, I refer to the hierarchy, much the same way that I currently have issues with the hierarchy of my own religion, Catholicism. Individuals, I love. It's groups that I just find myself hating. Please keep this in mind, and I respect all of your rights to disagree with me. :)

Melon

This all reminds me of those hideously awful "rapture" and "tribulation" movies I was forced to watch as a child in boarding school. The ol' 'scare-em-into-heaven' tactic. On the contrary, I have read the book of Revelations many times and have yet to see all the fanciful notions I've been fed by many fire and brimstone preachers actually recorded. :tsk: Sloppy exegisis and an ignorant populace. A truly frightening combination.

Wow, Melon! You said a mouthful!!! While I may not agree with every aspect of it, I agree with most.

And in response to sula, Interestingly enough, The 2 things that got me into Christianity were:

A girl in my 10th grade choir class who was always so nice and happy, popular, etc. I asked her one day how she could just smile and be so happy every day and she said "because I have Jesus in my Heart."

and

Reading the book of revelations shortly thereafter scared the BEJEZES out of me and I dove into it all then.

I also had very good experiences at Bible camp the next few years.

But again, Sula, none of this was forced upon me, I did it on my own free will and time.

Thanks for all your insights. I'm glad I have this place to come to!!!

this is an interesting subject, we had a lot of intenses studying of Revelation and it's pretty shocking to see how we seem to live in those times already, Lucky for me I know I won't have to stick around for that. And personally I have pondered about Bono being the anti-christ before I saw this post. And I figured that the image as being portrayed as God is what other people think he is trying to portray himself and it is not what he is. Besides he doesn't seem so interested in having any kind of world power and be in control he just happens to be rock star who acknowledges he has some power to try and make the wolrd a better place. And because he does it in the name of love and with God in his heart he doesn't seem to be doing it to get something out of it for himself.

melon said:
He'll be big into the idea of "born-again," which will very much appeal to the shattered home life of most Americans ("desperation" is a dangerous emotion, indeed).
Melon
Hello folks, I thought I'd drop in and see what's up today on Interference. I have said I wouldn't post much on Intereference anymore, and I haven't. But after reading this statement, I felt it is very important to address.

Melon, the anti-Christ will not be "big into the idea of born-again". How do I know that? Because being "born again" is absolutely necessary for a person to enter God's kingdom. Why would the Anti-Christ espouse an idea that would actually lead people into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ? It is straight from the mouth of Jesus Christ himself. It describes the entire concept of being new creations in Christ. Read John 3:3-7:

3 Jesus replied, ?I assure you, unless you are born again, you can never see the Kingdom of God.?
4?What do you mean?? exclaimed Nicodemus. ?How can an old man go back into his mother?s womb and be born again??
5 Jesus replied, ?The truth is, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives new life from heaven. 7So don?t be surprised at my statement that you must be born again.

It is also referred to again by Peter in 1 Peter 1:3

3 All honor to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for it is by his boundless mercy that God has given us the privilege of being born again. Now we live with a wonderful expectation because Jesus Christ rose again from the dead.

and in verse 23 of the same chapter:

For you have been born again. Your new life did not come from your earthly parents because the life they gave you will end in death. But this new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God.

melon said:
Since everyone is looking for a "liberal" Anti-Christ, most of you will be blindsided, just as the prophesies state.

Hi melon,
I'm not clear on this point. Did you mean liberal in the American liberal sense i.e. someone who would tend to believe in (examples follow) a GE-free country, pro-choice, non-marriage, practises homosexuality, etc.? In other words, liberal people who want the opposite of every convention?

foray

If I'm not mistaken the book of revelation was written long after the rest of the bible???

is this true??

I've always found apocylptic lore to be interesting.

Arun V said:
If I'm not mistaken the book of revelation was written long after the rest of the bible???

is this true??

I've always found apocylptic lore to be interesting.

Revelation was written around A.D. 100, with it not being added to the Biblical canon until near the end of the canon, which was sealed in A.D. 367.

Most interpretations of Revelation, though, are revisionist, coming mostly from the Reformation and 19th century Calvinist preachers. "The Rapture" is Biblical revisionism at its best. The Pharisees were guilty of the same things: Biblical revisionism twisted as "truth." So, in essence, question everything.

Melon

Hello all!
I must first say, this is my FIRST POST to Interference! Yay me! ha
I guess I'm "jumping right in" with a deep topic, eh? Maybe I should start out somewhere more tame, but I've been reading "The Goal is Soul" for a long time and finally decided to start posting.
I read the posts in this thread and must throw out there that I don't think that the Anti-Christ will NOT believe in Christ. Even Satan believes in Christ. I think the Anti-Christ is like Satan, though, mostly in the sense that he will think he is BIGGER than Christ and can change the inevitable outcome that the Bible talks about. I think he has an incredible sense of self and an ego that makes him both engaging and dangerous.
Melon, I read your post(s) with interest and would like to respond to a few points. The first isn't so much an opinion, but what I first thought of regarding your comments on people being blindsided by the Anti-Christ because so many people are waiting around for a "liberal" Anti-Christ. THE NEXT COMMENT IS NOT MEANT TO FLAME ANYONE, so please know that up front. Those comments reminded me of how people of the Jewish faith are still waiting for the savior to come, because they were waiting as much for a POLITICAL savior - - someone who would free them from the political situation of their day. When Christ didn't do that for them, the belief became that he was not the savior God had promised. I see a similarity there that I found interesting.
I feel I must also comment on your comments regarding God being "loving" or "vengeful." I must say that he is BOTH. He must be. We can not mistake that God is either wholly loving or wholly vengeful. He *is* loving, but His very definition and the sacrifice of His Son's life dictate that He must also judge. Or else, His Son died for nothing. Being "loving" and being "vengeful" are not oxymorons, as many people believe they are.
The last opinion I'd like to share, is, regarding the comment about "God knows our hearts" and taking the mark of the beast in order to buy goods - - I don't agree with this as a reason to take the mark. Taking the mark would be acknowledging that you are a participant in the world system as it will become, and Christ calls us to take a stand for HIM. The Bible says we will be persecuted for our faith. We can not HIDE God in our hearts and live how we wish "on the outside" and expect God to read our hearts. He can, and will, but we must live so that we share Him with others. No, not so we can be a martyr or anything like that, but lip service is not what He asks of us. Many people have died and suffered for their faith in Christ. But, great is the reward in heaven. Christ suffered the greatest when He took the sins of the world upon Himself and bled to death nailed to a tree. How could God accept less than complete submission from those calling themselves Christians?
I hope I've added something to think about. I welcome feedback, and please know, my intent is NOT to hurt anyone's feelings. I just wanted to share mine.
Thanks for reading!
jennifer
:yes:

Last edited:
I don't post here much, but there's some serious questions being asked here.

"he will create a great lie about what happened to the millions of people around the world who disappeared in Christ's rapture"

That's a bit of a misconception, no doubt in response to films like "Left Behind." According to Scripture, it won't be very secretive at all. In fact, very public. When Christ returns, people will know exactly what happened. Believers aren't going to disappear, they will rise up, and be caught up with Christ as He returns.

I do have one concern, and that is, people who are responding to this, do you really believe the Bible to be true? If not, you may not fully understand what you read in it.

"These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Cor. 2:13-14. NKJV.

Satan, and his fellow fallen angels (demons) do believe in Jesus, but they will not acknowledge Him as Lord of their lives. The Anti-Christ, will be under control of Satan. Scripture says demons flee at the name of Jesus. Here in lies why Bono couldn't be the Ant-Christ. "I'm a believer, and I have faith in Christ."-Bono. In One, Bono sings, "Have you come here to play Jesus." "They want you to be Jesus." "Jesus made us (U2) big." Look up how many times Bono has said Jesus. Demons flee at the very name, can't stand it.

"The day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. In the twinkling of an eye."

Last edited:
Wow thanks you guys. its been quite awhile since I came back to this thread. Thank you all soo much for your insights and beliefs. I love the feedback in this room, ilts very beneficial to have you all here to chat with about these things, because God knows I dont have many people with me physically in my walk with Christ......God Bless you all :heart:

Tiffany

I don't visit here often... but

Did you guys know that Bono's childhood nickname WAS "The Anti-Christ"!!!

Some U2 trivia everyone should have known.

yeah , bono should compose rock opera called " EDGE : Anti-Christ Super STar " with Ozzy , M.Manson , Eminem etc....

Last Weekend i thought about that thread and read about the Antichrist in the Bible.
My views of the antichrist vary a lot from the ones mentioned above in this thread but..

Bono is imho just too unimportant and dosn't have enough influence on mankind to be the antichrist.

Klaus

melon said:

I must warn you, though, the first coming of Christ was expected (by the Pharisees) to usher in a warrior Christ to exult Israel and smash all enemies, exulting Israel to the greatest kingdom ever. What do many sects expect the second coming of Christ to be? A warrior Christ to destroy our enemies, exulting His followers to the greatest "kingdom" ever, Heaven. We must be on-guard not to be misinterpreting the Bible, and seeing such ideas as "the Rapture" going about, which was invented as a counter-Reformation technique by a Jesuit priest, I fear it is too late. Ignorance shall be our downfall, and we shall be the ones to usher in our own demise. Ask yourself this: does the "Apocalypse" seem like the creation of a "loving" God or a "vengeful" God?

Melon

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I don't exactly understand. Melon, if you are around & could clear this up a little I'd apprecatiate it.

Discoteque said:

[*]he will have the power/charisma to create a false peace with a 7-year "truce" between Israel and Palestine....but after 3.5 years, he will break this truce and wreak havoc on the world;

So do we pray for peace in Israel or are we only praying for an evil peace? :|

this stuff is whacked & confusing. Too bad I feel I have a responsiblity to figure it all out.

The Anti-Christ, do you see him as a real person (born from a woman, etc) or is he going to be a sort of *poof* appear from thin air from Hell..?

Back
Top Bottom