Spritual Experience at U2 concert - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Spritual Experience at U2 concert

Has anyone else here had a spiritual experience at a U2 Concert?

I totally did.

I had been heading off in a wrong direction for a year or so, just hanging out with negative people, drinking too much, kinda living a double life I guess. I had become really cynical and negative.

The U2 concert was postponed and by the time it came round again I thought I'd sell my ticket, I didn't even want to see them. Considering a year or so before I had a major obsession with U2... shows you how far off track I'd gotten I guess.

A friend talked me into keeping my ticket and going, and I travelled to Auckland with a van full of Christian friends. I have to say even the trip was an eye opener, just being around positive fun people.

But the show itself, OMG, it was so intensely exciting, I have never been that excited in my life. But it was also so spiritual, I found myself with arms upraised, like at church, singing with my eyes closed... I'd have to remind myself to open them so I didn't miss anything.

That night changed something inside me. Something totally snapped or lifted off me or whatever. I had no desire to hang out with the negative people I'd been around. I haven't gone back to that scene at all. It is simply amazing to me.

I think without that experience, I would have continued down a track that would have been really destructive.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else here?

Trinity3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Most definately. Made me believe so much more than I ever thought.

JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Yes yes yes!!! I know exactly what you mean.

I had the experience a long time ago! My initial experience was not seeing them live, but just by listening and watching their live DVD's on tv, that's how powerful their music is for me. It's hard to describe it to people that don't connect with U2; isn't it? Then I went to my first show and well, I honestly had an out of body experience, like I was there but I wasn't there and all the while trying to log everything about the show to memory, every detail, every emotion, it was like I was watching myself have this intense spiritual connection around thousands of people. That was weird but GREAT! I never let myself go in public, not even in church (if you were raised Catholic, you know what I mean) but at the show, forgetaboutit! I blocked everything negative out around me and just blissed out on U2 and God for 2.5 hrs!! It was great!!!
Jeannieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
Acrobat

I so know what you mean!

My U2 obsession started when I was watching the Slaine Castle DVD while I was babysitting. I had a spiritual experience then! It was the segment where Bono is singing All I Want is You, and then goes into Streets have no name.

The Holy Spirit is so present.

PS Love your sig Jeannie. That's from Bono's NAACP speech isn't it? That was so powerful and moving. Made tears come to my eyes.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I've definitely felt God's presence at the shows. The cool thing is other people I know who aren't terribly strong Christians or who don't know the spiritual depth of U2's lyrics have said similar things . . .

To me, that's confirmation that something's going on.
coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 10:43 AM
My first U2 concert was March 17, 1985, the Unforgettable Fire tour. The feeling of warmth and joy was so overwhelming at that concert. I'd never felt anything like it.

In my opinion, U2 lost that spirit A LITTLE with the Joshua, Zoo and PopMart tours, but regained it with Elevation and Vertigo. It's what makes them special and sets the apart.

It's the closest to the notion of God I've ever felt anyway.
LPU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 PM
I can relate to that, but I hardly talk about it because I have had a hard time trying to find out what has been going on with myself.
In the last couple of years I have got so much involved in the band and everything surrounding them that it has changed my life very much.
Much more, than I first realised.
It's not only the concert.
It's a little hard to explain for me, but it definitly changed me inside.
Especially Bono and getting to "know" him better over the years, learning so much about him, it has changed the way I think about many things.
But of course also the music.
It's easier to get up in the mornings for me now, just because they are in the world.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 AM   #8
Acrobat

Wow thats pretty cool Unicorn. I think I know what you mean. Things have definately changed for me since I've been obsessed with U2. I think I've found a way to commune with God that I struggled with for some time. He has definately spoken to me through U2 and Bono.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
Acrobat

Wow thats pretty cool Unicorn. I think I know what you mean. Things have definately changed for me since I've been obsessed with U2. I think I've found a way to commune with God that I struggled with for some time. He has definately spoken to me through U2 and Bono.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
The Fly

I saw them in Pittsburgh in 2001, during Walk On. Then again in 2005 during WTSHNN & 40. I just felt something wash over me.
meriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:43 PM
I have to say that I too have had a spiritual experience at a u2 concert. It did change me. Shortly after hearing "The First Time, I felt prompted to look at my spiritual life, and really get real with God. I do believe that the Holy Spirit dwells during u2 concerts. I believe that the Holy Spirit can manifest anywhere where he is made welcome. I have heard that the band prays before concerts and that they even have a traveling chaplain. I do advise, however, against mistaking the messenger for the message. I love u2 and their music and often am led to worship during their songs, but I need to be careful that my main focus is God rather than the music....cool post!
popsadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:43 PM
The Vertigo concert in November of 2005 will always b an amazing and bittersweet moment 4 me. I will always remember it 4 many things, one being the last TRULY happy moment my x-wife and I ever shared.

We spent the day handing out flyers and educating people on the African Well Fund, and then shared an amazing show. Soon after, we would split after 6 years of marriage, and with a 7 month old baby boy in the middle of it all.

But the show itself.... the memory of the opening chords of COBL, with Bono coming up in front of us, his hands xtended 2 the Heavens, is burned in2 my memory and heart 4 ever. There were moments during the show, WTSHNN, 4 xample, where I felt like I was floating... and hearing 20,000 people chanting "Yahweh".... and "How long to sing this song" in unison r moments that not only will I never 4get, but gave me a sense of hope that carries over not only 2 my personal life, but 2 my feelings about humanity as a whole, in these darkest of times.
The Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Interestingly, I have been raised in a totally un-religious setting and I consider myself agnostic. I've been going through a bit of a spiritual crisis lately which is not related to U2, and right now I really don't know what to think about God and all that. But there has been moments in my life, or things happening to me, that would push me in the direction of possibly becoming a 'believer' one day, and U2 is most definately one of them. I can't say for sure whether there such a thing as God, or Holy Spirit, but if there is I swear that it must feel like how I feel at a U2 concert! Without a doubt at U2 concerts I have had experiences and feelings that were so real and intense it literally does not compare to anything else I've ever lived.

I must say that it's only recently that I seriously thought about how something religious or spiritual could be linked to how I feel about U2, and more specifically at a U2 concert. I've always said that U2 is one of the very few things in my life that make me fully believe, understand and feel what LOVE is. But then maybe that's what God is...

Man I am so confused
oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
New Yorker

Maybe U're not as confused as U think.

The Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I've always loved this quote from a friend of mine:

"Seein' U2 is kinda like a religious experience. I walked outta the venue thinkin' I could take on the world. The vibes were just so right. I've never felt like that after any other concert. Like, with Ryan [Adams], for example, I just feel like smokin' and drinkin'."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote