Spiritual gifts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
After our pastor gave yet another powerful sermon tonight (they're never really like 'sermons' in the true sense anyway, they're usually pretty amazing...wish I could share them with y'all), I drove home thinking about...spiritual gifts. Those who use them, those who haven't yet discovered them, and those who never do. I know the Bible says that God gives everyone a unique 'gift' of some type to use for His glory, and I'm always curious about those who truly discover their gift(s) and use them?I know personally, I'm desperately wanting to figure out what mine is/are...what I'm good at, what I enjoy doing, how I can best serve. I went through a bit of a catharsis tonight, trying to "let go and let God", esp. being in the position of being unemployed, and scared for my future. God has a plan for me. It's just that I want to know what it is NOW.
frown.gif
Patience, Grasshopper...
wink.gif

But I digress.

Which brings me to U2, of course, specifically Bono.

I am continuously in complete awe of the gifts that have been bestowed upon Bono - especially that he discovered his gifts so early, and how he continues to squeeze every last drop out of them, and how (I believe) using his gifts have helped to propel U2 to the top of the music industry. I know Bono is a uniqeu blend of so many things: his Irish heritage, his childhood, his tragedies, his friends, finding deep faith at early age, what was happening musically in the world at the time, etc. But with his gifts of words, philanthropy, thought, and political activism, I find myself looking to Bono as a picture of really what could be accomplished if I - if anyone - put their own unique gifts and abilities 100% to the task, whatever it may be. It makes me think of what an amazing world this would be to live in if strived for this...it would be such a remarkable place to live in... *wistful*

Does anyone else struggle with this? Trying to find their way in the world, to see the bigger picture, to leave a mark, to make a difference...TO DO SOMETHING??

sorry, responding to own post, but a related addendum, I just thought of something.

Years ago I saw "Chariots of Fire" about Eric Liddel, a Christian runner from England sorry if I don't have all my fact straight about this). But there was a point in the movie where he was debating about running or not running in the Olympics on a Sunday, the "day of rest." His sister and he were arguing over this, and he said something very profound (I wish I knew the quote verbatim)...he said, "...because when I run, I feel God's pleasure."

Wow. THAT is when you know your using your gifts!
smile.gif

Disco, have you read "The Journey of Desire" by John Eldridge? If not...go buy it now!

Ok, I will reply to this properly when I am awake. lol.

-sula

LOL Sula...I put that book title in google search and this is the page that came up:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wwfamily/sinconbook.html

it's the 'muthaload' list of books for singles/relationships, woo hoo!!
biggrin.gif

I already added your 'fave books' list from that other forum on my own book list...so many books, so little time!! (and being on Interference doesn't help any!)
wink.gif
Ah, great quote: "absolutely nothing of human greatness is ever accomplished without it."

*adds this one to top of book list*

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 01-05-2002).]

Oh, Disco,
my head's about blowin' off here. Boy, HAVE I struggled with this! Actually, Chariots of Fire (also Amadeus) had a big impact on me, too, as I wrestled for so long with "excellence" versus "humility," with finding the big voice that didn't somehow require a big ego. Or more precisely, how I of such shyness could ever let my gifts grow big...

I'm finally sorting out that little semantic debate for myself ("git yer light out from under that bushel, deb!"), but in the larger picture, I've come to believe that JOY is our truest moral and spiritual compass. I think that where joy burns brightest is where our gifts lie, our work on the planet. It is where we "feel God's pleasure." --What a spectacular quote.
smile.gif

I'm so glad you have an amazing minister, Disco. I'm glad they're out there doing their work; it's reassuring, isn't it? Setting an example, like Bono, for the rest of us.

peace & inspiration,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Does anyone else struggle with this? Trying to find their way in the world, to see the bigger picture, to leave a mark, to make a difference...TO DO SOMETHING??

It seems that the two of us are at much the same point in our lives right now.

In August I started attending college...I was hoping to find answers and satisfaction but instead I only found more questions. Questions like: What does my life mean in the grand scheme? What does God want me to do and where does he want me to be? Am I making the right decisions? Am I living my life in a good way?

And I have been struggling with myself ever since. But that hasn't been bad. In fact, it's been quite cathartic. Wrestling with demons that have haunted me for years has been quite liberating.

And because of the struggle I have learned to keep my eyes open and my heart awake. God has blessed me with many talents and right now I don't know where he wants me or what he wants me to do...it could be that he wants me to be right here, right now. And that's where I am....

And remember, God can use you no matter what situation you're in as long as you're open to him and his will. I have faith that we will all have our spiritual gifts revealed to us sooner or later. We must be patient and wait for God's pleasure!

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

hey Deb and Hippy...

yeah, it's hard to 'wait upon the Lord' and what He wants for me (us) in life. His ways and timing is not my own, and sometimes, it's so hard to 'bloom where I'm planted.' I'm impatient and a control-freak...those aspects of my personality make it even harder for me...

Hippy, in your case (and I'm only saying this cos I AM older), I know it's hard when you're young, and you have a lot of life left to live. I didn't start really 'finding myself' till in was well into my 30s (I hear that from a lot of women). Give yourself time, honest. But it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders and perhaps you could teach me a thing or two!
smile.gif

We just have to keep still and quiet and listen for that still, small voice...hard enough to do in this busy and NOISY world...sometimes I need God to ring a bell or something!
smile.gif

Hippy, in your case (and I'm only saying this cos I AM older), I know it's hard when you're young, and you have a lot of life left to live. I didn't start really 'finding myself' till in was well into my 30s (I hear that from a lot of women). Give yourself time, honest. But it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders and perhaps you could teach me a thing or two!
smile.gif

You're right, it is hard. It's hard to have so much life left in front of me because I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go. And, though I'm not scared about where I might be going in life, it's something I worry about a lot. I worry whether I'm doing what God wants me to do or whether I'm simply doing what I wanted to be doing. When I got to college, I found out that I had been doing what I wanted to do and had completely ignored God's call. Well, luckily He decided to give me another chance and let me get things straight. So I think I'm at least in the beginning stages of following God's will, but I worry a lot that I'm not listening well enough. *sigh* There's no way to be sure. So I must take comfort in the feeling that doing what I do now gives me: the feeling that God is smiling, and that's always a pleasant sensation.

------------------

It's so great that God is a God of second...and third...and fourth chances, and for that I am forever grateful! I can't count the number of times I've strayed, felt awful/guilty and come running back. The thing about God is that he's always "wooing" us to him, yet, he gives us a long leash....he gives us guidelines, yes, but doesn't make us the 'whipping boy' when we happen to color outside the lines. His guidance is gentle and he always knows what's right for us. We just have to strive to not be the wayward kids and listen to our "dad's" advice, knowhatimean?

Hippy if it's any consolation (er...that might be the wrong word), I'm very much where you are now...even at my age, I'm still strugglign with 'what I want to be when I grow up' and it's a very hard issue to deal with - I look around at my friends and family, and they all have these awesome jobs, have HOUSES, money, spouses, kids, pets....and I have none of that. I keep thinking, why can't I be successful, happy, on top of my game like XXX??? Why is it so easy for some and such a struggle for others?? But like Paul, I guess I just have to keep pressing on toward the goal....

disco

Originally posted by hippyactress:
You're right, it is hard. It's hard to have so much life left in front of me because I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go. And, though I'm not scared about where I might be going in life, it's something I worry about a lot. I worry whether I'm doing what God wants me to do or whether I'm simply doing what I wanted to be doing. When I got to college, I found out that I had been doing what I wanted to do and had completely ignored God's call. Well, luckily He decided to give me another chance and let me get things straight. So I think I'm at least in the beginning stages of following God's will, but I worry a lot that I'm not listening well enough. *sigh* There's no way to be sure. So I must take comfort in the feeling that doing what I do now gives me: the feeling that God is smiling, and that's always a pleasant sensation.

even at my age, I'm still strugglign with 'what I want to be when I grow up' and it's a very hard issue to deal with - I look around at my friends and family, and they all have these awesome jobs, have HOUSES, money, spouses, kids, pets....and I have none of that. I keep thinking, why can't I be successful, happy, on top of my game like XXX??? Why is it so easy for some and such a struggle for others?? But like Paul, I guess I just have to keep pressing on toward the goal....

disco

This is a comfort to hear....I'm going through the same thing....I'm 28 and I've still not really found my niche.I've not found that thing where I feel like I'm being the best I can be.
"Keep pressing on toward the goal"....That's some words to live by Disco.
I think we all have such burdens on our hearts to make a difference.....I know that I had a huge burden on my heart when I was younger to get out there and work for what I believed....I still believe this,I still strive for this and I still do this to a point , but I've been really disillusioned lately.....I've been, I don't know the word for it really ,but I've been almost disappointed in myself.
In my youth I had all these wonderful ideas and now in my very late twenties I feel I'm moving farther and farther away from the things I believe in.
I know I have to trust in him that he will show me a path that's right for me,but I sometimes don't know if I will be able to see it, or if I will be brave enough to take it......

Originally posted by browneyedgirl:
I think we all have such burdens on our hearts to make a difference.....I know that I had a huge burden on my heart when I was younger to get out there and work for what I believed....I still believe this,I still strive for this and I still do this to a point , but I've been really disillusioned lately.....I've been, I don't know the word for it really ,but I've been almost disappointed in myself.
In my youth I had all these wonderful ideas and now in my very late twenties I feel I'm moving farther and farther away from the things I believe in.
I know I have to trust in him that he will show me a path that's right for me,but I sometimes don't know if I will be able to see it, or if I will be brave enough to take it......

I'm glad we're all here together. It seems that we can encourage each other in many ways. We seem to all be about the same point in our lives...Though it's scary to be at the point we're at, I am grateful I have been able to find a few others who share my fright, my intermittent disillusionment, and my love and longing to do something bigger with my life. I'm really looking forward to knowing you all...

------------------

I meant to reply to this thread earlier, cause what you all are talking about is a big issue in my mind. Being a proud member of Generation X (just saw Reality Bites, story of my life) I have not found a satisfying career, but am headed into a field (Special Education) that I think I can do some good in. Really right now I feel there are still some areas of weakness that are keeping me from hearing God's Call entirely, but I believe if I continue in His Word and in "renewing" my mind, the right path will appear eventually.

yeh, disco, U2 are a constant reminder of using one's gifts to the fullest. That comment that Larry makes on Achtung Baby: "I've found my niche" has always stuck with me. What's MY niche?? (lol, somebody better give me the secret to having the patience to practice violin 8 hours a day if I'm to be a violinist, because I can just get away with playing a tune on the instrument). Hmmm, I had a lovely time watercoloring in art class today...

I KNOW!! Every time I re-watch that video....I'm forever in awe of Larry saying that. Actually, it's about all FOUR of them finding their niches, and being together in the process, which makes for a formidable force, doesn't it??
wink.gif
I've met a few people in my life who are in their 'niche' and who can honestly say that they would do what they do for nothing because they love it so much. And all I can do is shake my head, because that, to me, seems like such an an unfathomable and unattainable goal...

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
That comment that Larry makes on Achtung Baby: "I've found my niche" has always stuck with me.

I am right with you guys...maybe a bit ahead...let me splain:
I came to college because that's what honors students do...had no relationship with God (resulting from my Catholic upbringing), and no real idea of what I wanted to do in life. Had an intense all-consuming love of horses that had been with me for my entire life, but had been conditioned to believe that I needed to grow up and get a "real job"...but what? Didn't really care about (read: think about) what kind of impact I might make until about 2 years ago when I "discovered" (hah) U2 and their whole scene. They have opened my eyes to so many things...but I digress. I have finally had a revelation. Every time I have tried to decide what I want to be "when I grow up", I have always returned to the horse issue. I finally realized that this intense love is from God (all good things are of Him), and the best impact I can have on the world is to excel at the thing that moves my soul. In my case, it would be the beauty of the equine...so off I go. I don't know what my niche is yet..searching that one...but at least my search is narrowed, and I am excited for the future God has for me. He has set it before me, and had I only ignored the voices of those in the world, I might have found my path sooner. But like the Israelites who spent 40 years traversing what should have been an 11 day journey in the desert, I am almost home (I think I might even be up to "year 39" so to speak). God has given us all a love...love is our gift (remember God is love?), and don't ever believe someone (even yourself) who tells you its unrealistic..your reality is between you and God.
Case in point..what kind of rock band comes from IRELAND anyway?
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Originally posted by Angell:
I have finally had a revelation. Every time I have tried to decide what I want to be "when I grow up", I have always returned to the horse issue. I finally realized that this intense love is from God (all good things are of Him), and the best impact I can have on the world is to excel at the thing that moves my soul. In my case, it would be the beauty of the equine...so off I go. I don't know what my niche is yet..searching that one...but at least my search is narrowed, and I am excited for the future God has for me. He has set it before me, and had I only ignored the voices of those in the world, I might have found my path sooner.

I am at that point too! This past semester I realized that I was pursuing the wrong course of study and as soon as I was open to that...everything changed and I was able to begin making the right decisions (hopefully
smile.gif
). It's giving it up to God that's the hard part...I struggle with that everyday. Most times I don't succeed. And those are the hard days...I'm glad you are so open! Good things can flow your way!

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

REMEMBER !!

" I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry."

It may be a while before he lifts you out of the "mirey clay", but you may be all the more wiser for the waiting.

"There is a season, turn, turn, turn ........................
and a time for every purpose, under heaven."

Be patient and trust the Lord.

Pamela

and you give
and you give
and you give yourself away

There is one central theme that is glaring out at me from these posts, and I hope that this observation will cause some of you guys to take heart. It's so obvious that you may miss it. Observation: several of you are sincerely concerned about seeking after God's will with your life, even to the point of worrying about missing his plan.

This simple fact should encourage you greatly!
Here's my point: I learn more about God each day, and I still barely scratch the surface, but I've learned this concerning God's character - God does not delight in keeping his children in the dark concerning his plans, or enjoy watching them suffer in pursuit of him. If God is so intent on advancing his purposes and glorifying himself, it makes sense that he would reveal his intentions to those who are willing to do his work. Know that God notices your struggle!

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 28; I've got a degree in biology, and I'm discovering that, aside from the aesthetics and wonder of nature, I really don't give a rip about science; I've got a fascinating job in the scientific field (forensics), and yet I'm not passionate about it; I'm a very driven and competitive person, and yet I'm without goals or direction...etc.etc.

The GOOD part: I know that God has deliberately closed off some paths that I wanted to pursue, for which in retrospect I'm grateful, and he's drawn me closer to himself in the process.

Summation of my ramblings: I don't know what God wants in my life, much less yours. And I don't need to tell you that God's time schedule will not correspond with ours. I'm convinced that he leaves us dangling OFTEN so that we'll rely on him. But know this: if our motive is to seek him in order to be a blessing to him and others (as opposed to seeking his gifts so that we can puff ourselves up and fondle our ego), God desires to direct our paths!

For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
2 Chronicles 16:9

For those of you who obviously desire to know and be used by God, rejoice and be encouraged that he sees your heart. Good luck in finding your passions and gifts.

I believe that our lives are a journey (I know I've said this before and probably sound like a broken record LOL) and we never really get to a "place" that God wants us to be... I believe if we stop seeking out what we should be doing then we miss things. I have found in my life that sometimes the greatest blessings come from what I at first believed to be the worst crisis (a lost job, a failed relationship, whatever). Sometimes you have to just pay attention or you miss the lesson.

I don't feel that my job is really my strength or what I was meant to do - it just pays the bills for all the other stuff. But I have found great peace in the other things I do (mostly being a mom and volunteer work). So I try not to identify my "life's work" with my job. Thank goodness.

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...
wink.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Wow, thanks for sharing all these thoughts.
smile.gif
It feels comfortable to know that I'm not alone.

I'm 26 and have not a clue what to do when I grow up. And one of my biggest dreams is to find "my thing". Something that I'm extremely good at AND loves doing. As a proffesional job or outside. Right now I don't have anything. I have a full time job that is ok. It fits my private life really good and pays relatively good for not having an education. So right now I'm not really worried. And I'm not in for doing career(?), it would steal too much of my freetime that is very precious for me.

A few years ago when I was still involved in the church all these thoughts and what place I had in God's plan drove me crazy. It made me feel really, really depressed and that I wasn't good enough, I had no place. It came to that point where I couldn't take it anymore and had to let go of all these thoughts and the pressure it gave. That's when I left church, one of the reasons. I had to take a break, it's still lasting, and I think God has done more work in my life after I broke up with him then before.
As someone said, often the hardest things in your life gives you the greatest turns. But you usually don't see it until long time has passed. This is something that helps me, knowing that everything happens for a reason. It gives me comfort and has, I think, in many ways lead me into decisions that has given me so much in life.

Oki, this was just meant to be a post saying that I think it's interesting, this thing about what God's intentions for you is. I usually don't call it God's intentions though, since I still have some problem with him and christianity, but my motto that everything happens for a reason is pretty much the same.
smile.gif

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
As someone said, often the hardest things in your life gives you the greatest turns. But you usually don't see it until long time has passed. This is something that helps me, knowing that everything happens for a reason. It gives me comfort and has, I think, in many ways lead me into decisions that has given me so much in life.

For me, learning to recognize those hard things has been a very big obstacle...when you're in the moment it seems like that problem is the biggest thing in the world. And learning to step back is not an easy thing...actually love is not the easy thing
wink.gif

Anyway, I've adopted as my motto the lines from one of my favorite songs:

The only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

A very wise man once whispered this to me during a song and I have found it comforting and encouraging many times in the past year.
smile.gif

Peace
hippy

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

[This message has been edited by hippyactress (edited 01-20-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom