Scientology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonsai

The Fly
Did anyone notice after U2's performance at the Grammy's this year when the camara pointed to the audience and there was a long shot of this women who stood up to applaud the band?

I didn't know who she was at the time, but I had heard from people in other forum's that she was a high ranking member/leader of the Scientology church. A few people replied saying that "she will be after him (I'm persuming Bono) to try and convince that scientology can help out with his causes, she will need someone who appears stable, especcially after what's happening with Tom Cruise, etc".

If she was looking for her next recruits I reckon she'd target the whole band, but I doubt she'd be successful. This is why:

1/Bono, Edge and Larry is a devout Christian for many years. Although they are tolerant of other religions (ie: Jewish, islam), these are major real religions who all recognise each other's prophets, but disagree on who is the son of God, etc. Scientology is completely at odds with any of these religions. It is a cult that believes we are infected by the murdered aliens from the past.

2/In Mischka's book last year, Bono mentioned that he did not agree with self-help counselling. Although Scientology proclaims it's against psychiatry, it does practice auditing, which is a type of Freudian councelling which helps to bring the "unconcious mind conscious". This therapy has been critizised for being highly dangerous by private investigaters because suggestions can be made of a persons supposedly bad behaviour, leaving the person succeptable to manipulation. This is how they brainwash people. They also publish self-help books, which again with his motivations in life, I doubt Bono will have time to fit in auditing and dienetic tests.

3/Scientologists believe that all physical eliments are actually the result of a "damaged spirit". Now imagine this bitch trying to convince Edge that his daughter will be better practising scientology courses. He would be furious! Many scientologists have died of cancer that's been left untreated because they believed dianetics will cure them. Some have even stopped taking out medical insurance after they've joined the cult

4/Although Adam is not a Christian (I think I heard somewhere he is getting into Asian religions, but I could be wrong), I think he'd laugh off any theory about the engrams of murdered thetans that are hidden in his unconscious mind. All 4 of them would.

5/Cults target those who are vulnerable and are going through a low period in their life. Adam has been there, now he's happier than he's ever been and is about to settle down. Bono knows exactly what he's aims are in life, he's plans do not include scientology. Edge and his family are going through a traumatic time, but he's no idiot. He gets his strengh from his family, friends and CHRISTAIN faith, not some kooked up cult based on a 1930's sci-fi novel. As for Larry, out of the 4 of them, he's the last guy you'd expect to put up with any mumbo jumbo. But I really don't think any of them will have any patience of being preached to by anyone, let alone a loony witch like this women.

:huh:

No offense but what is the point of this thread?

I mean the premise of "she's going after them" is all based on rumor and speculation...

Why come up with reasons as to why it wouldn't happen?

It was written by people on alt.religion.scientology in google. A few years back scientologists tried to get this group shut down because of the criticism by many people in this group. They appear to be suspiscious of the sect's motives by prominant members. Many of them view Tom Cruise to be uncarring and hypocritical.

bonsai said:
It was written by people on alt.religion.scientology in google.

What was, the rumor or your post?

bonsai said:

A few years back scientologists tried to get this group shut down because of the criticism by many people in this group. They appear to be suspiscious of the sect's motives by prominant members. Many of them view Tom Cruise to be uncarring and hypocritical.

Ok but what does this have to do with U2?:huh:

What the hell?

Is every thread that someone doesn't think belongs in another forum going to start getting dumped in PLEBA now? This is the third or fourth time this has happened in the past couple of weeks.

Just because I enjoy checking out the latest U2 photos, does that mean I also have to deal with off the wall/off topic comments rejected from somewhere else?

If it doesn't belong in The Goal Is Soul, then what about FYI? Just because the original poster took up all that space explaining why each individual member of U2 would not succumb to Scientology, I'd hope the thought process went a little deeper than: Ooh, individual members, it must belong in PLEBA.

Every damn forum on this website discusses individual members at some point.

I would respectfully like the mods to please explain the new philosophy behind transferring generally unwanted crap into this forum. Sorry if I sound harsh but this is a very unwelcome trend, and I know there are others who share that point of view.

/rant over

PopDaisy said:

I would respectfully like the mods to please explain the new philosophy behind transferring generally unwanted crap into this forum. Sorry if I sound harsh but this is a very unwelcome trend, and I know there are others who share that point of view.

/rant over

Thanks, Daisy.

It's an interesting idea (although "this bitch" in question is Jenna Elfman, who has never appeared to be anything of the sort) but it doesn't belong in PLEBA.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:huh: You do realize it was moved from and not to PLEBA?

No, I didn't, and I apologize.

In my defense, it isn't marked clearly to indicate which way it was moved, and PLEBA has in fact, often been a "dumping ground" quite frequently as I indicated.

But in this particular case, I am in error. Sorry.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:huh: You do realize it was moved from and not to PLEBA?

I didn't see this before jumping in and agreeing with Daisy.

This is probably a stupid question, but if it was moved from PLEBA, why is it still showing up here?

antigone_ks said:

This is probably a stupid question, but if it was moved from PLEBA, why is it still showing up here?

That's how moved threads work...

antigone_ks said:

So anyone looking for it in it's original spot can find it. Saves the mods from being inundated with complaints about threads being "deleted" when they were merely moved.

antigone_ks said:

It's an interesting idea (although "this bitch" in question is Jenna Elfman, who has never appeared to be anything of the sort)

Yeah, she's just a fan...She is a scientologist, but isn't a nutty one like Cruise (and didn't he and Bono share a podium at an awards show a few years back? They didn't get to them then, now did they?:wink: )

Truth is, some of the anti-scientologists are just as paranoid as the Scientology leadership (of course, being sued and all that by the church on a regular basis helps fuel the paranoia:evil: )--so a simple action such a leading a standing ovation will be misinterpreted as a conspiracy.

Last edited:
kimby said:

Truth is, some of the anti-scientologists are just as paranoid as the Scientology leadership (of course, being sued and all that by the church on a regular basis helps fuel the paranoia:evil: )--so a simple action such a leading a standing ovation will be misinterpreted as a conspiracy.

:yes:

Jenna Elfman does has been acting nuts recently. She's on the same level as Tom, OT7, which is the second highest level. Apparantly Tom tried to recruit Scarlet Johansson before he 'got to' Katie Holmes.

There is an interesting link which states why this cult targets Hollywood Celebs and how they are treated differently from any other members
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fishman/fable.htm

It's a very long web page, it will be better if they published this information as a book. I found it interesting until I got to section 2 when they start spouting off about how the political and financial worlds a secular, meaning they are a front for the devil and their aim is to take over the world. I'm really getting bored with these NWO conspiracy's of late.

Just a reminder that this thread is NOT for a general discussion on Scientology. That type of discussion would take place in Free Your Mind.

Back to the original post....I think it's a bit overboard to jump to all those conclusions based on a few seconds of a camera shot. 1) Didn't EVERYONE stand up and applaud the band? 2) The camera people are always pointing the camera at random famous people. It doesn't indicate any relationship between these people and the band.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Back to the original post....I think it's a bit overboard to jump to all those conclusions based on a few seconds of a camera shot.

Exactly, I think this thread was just an oppurtuninty to start some scientology paranoia.

MumblingBono said:
Generalized middle of the road Christianity IS kinda boring. The boys need a little shakeup at this stage.

I welcome her advances:wink:

But she's not making any advances!:huh: :wink:

Seriously, as long as the boys have been around and been famous, and considering how Scientology just *loves* famous celebrities, they've probably received their engraved invites to tour the Scientology Center *YEARS* ago (not to mention the invites from the Kaballah Center, the TM folks, the Hari Krishnas, etc, etc. )
:laugh:

I guess I don't understand all the claims that so many famous people are into Scientology and that there's somehow a connection between being famous and being predisposed towards Scientology. There are 10 times as many famous people that are Christians or Jews than there are Scientologists. I guess it's just like MumblingBono said, the more common religions are too boring/not newsworthy.

Well proportionally there are probably more famous scientologists than famous Christians.

Which isn't surprising given the cost involved in auditing. How many people on this board have $400K to fork over for the process?

Not to mention many "creative types" have deep spiritual needs but are bored or turned off by traditional religion.

Perfect opportunity for "weird" spiritual beliefs--and potential con artists...

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I guess I don't understand all the claims that so many famous people are into Scientology and that there's somehow a connection between being famous and being predisposed towards Scientology. There are 10 times as many famous people that are Christians or Jews than there are Scientologists. I guess it's just like MumblingBono said, the more common religions are too boring/not newsworthy.

Seems only famous or very wealthy people can afford to be Scientologists.

nbcrusader said:
One of the most productive money making cults around.

And, as I've noted before, there's certainly plenty of "religions" that fall under this category.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Scientology either.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom