Science of Mind/Religious Science

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2live

The Fly
do you know I asked church members why they never mentioned Jesus. In their sermons they talk about God, sort of like "Touched by Angel" always talks about God, but they never said anything about Jesus. They said it's because "he was a great teacher that's all." So they are not a Christian religion at all. Science of Mind books are really helpful and interesting, but that's disturbing (to me) how they don't believe in Jesus.

That kind of goes along with the Unitarian/Universalist denomination, and some of the others that take "liberal interpretation" to an extreme.

Another trend of this philosophy is the "Jesus Seminar" which has grown into an attempt to introduce this interpretation into mainline Protestant and Catholic congregations. Their premise is that Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God, and that the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection of the Body are unreasonable and therefore pooh-pooh. They think that by de-deifying Jesus, they will make him seem more likable and attractive, when in reality, it would probably mean the death of Christianity, as a local Episcopal priest recently put it.

I've read a lot on the Jesus Seminar and the groups that push it lately; it doesn't seem to be going over as well as they thought it would when even liberal Christian theologians at Duke and Oxford have rebutted them quite well.

I agree with you, though; it doesn't pass my litmus test for Christianity; it basically turns Christianity into nothing more than literature, or at best, philosophy.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Their premise is that Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God, and that the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection of the Body are unreasonable and therefore pooh-pooh. ~U2Alabama

That's where faith comes in. Your believing in this shows you actually believe in God and Jesus and whatnot. My mind boggles over why you would say you're a Christian, but not believe in Jesus CHRIST ....meh, their own perogative I guess...

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

that's whats so wonderful, faith as small as a grain of mustard seed. The keys to the Kingdom of God, and the entry is faith. They don't even really use the Bible that I know of in Science of Mind/Religious Science, they read their own books, which are very interesting and helpful to understand things Jesus talks about in the Bible.

Both of you have summed up very well the concept of "faith;" it is what makes me choose one religion over another. As Alison Krauss sings, "Faith can see straight through the circumstance, it sees the forest in spite of the trees." It may appear inatangible and immeasurable, but it is often so much stronger than anything else.

By eliminating our "faith" in Jesus as the Messiah, what more "fiath" is there in following him than there would be in following an infomercial on TV?

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by Lilly:
My mind boggles over why you would say you're a Christian, but not believe in Jesus CHRIST ....meh, their own perogative I guess...

But does this Science of Mind church claim to be a Christian church?

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Back
Top Bottom