Religious Meanings in NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
I've already heard a few verses and words that made me think of some religious tones on this album.

Anyone hear them too?

I could be wrong, but Moment of Surrender - surrendering yourself to God.
White as Snow - havign a heart as pure as Gods.

etc.

Whaddya think?

Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady = fuck knows but hopefully there's some deeper religious meaning to this so as to not be entirely as crazy as it sounds

Unknown Caller = A song about God

The whole 3:33 part is "God's telephone number" == “Call to me, and I will answer you; I will tell you things great beyond reach of your knowledge.” Jeremiah 33:3

You can see the J3:33 in the gate number on the ATYCLB cover also, for the those who didn't know:
U2_-_All_That_You_Cant_Leave_Behind.jpg

*boom*

I think the title track is about creation or the creative spirit.

Substitute the girl with god then consider the time/infinity is a great place to start/hole in heart lines.

Actually, IMO, you can do this with most of the songs on the album and see a cohesive message throughout about creativity/creation and god = love.

Being born - reborn - discovery.

Loving this album :D

Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady = fuck knows but hopefully there's some deeper religious meaning to this so as to not be entirely as crazy as it sounds

I read in the Sean O'Hagan interview with the Observer that that line is basically about both atheists and religious people like Bono himself. To the atheists it's telling them to stop claiming God is like an old lady or dying, to stop denying that God even exists. To religious people it's to stop trying to help God at every opputunity like someone would if they saw an old lady trying to cross the street. Bono's saying that God is bigger than that, more alive than that and he doesn't need their help, for if you truly believe in him, he will survive.

I've been thinking about this one. Taking the current world climate regarding religon, (the current climate that hasn't changed in thousands of years) I think it has to do with the idea that 'we' need to stop dictating what God is, what God is telling us and what we think God is telling our neighbors. Stop telling our neighbors Who God is, What God wants, and why they're wrong in whatever way they are living their life.

I once heard that the best way to 'export' your faith, your "Good News" is not by screaming it at everyone you pass by, but by living your life in such a way that anyone passing by would say, "Wow, what kind of a person is this?" and then maybe you'll set an example that others will want to follow.

Similarly in Unknown Caller, if it is God calling, he's telling the phone owner to "shush", just shut up and listen, stop trying to lead, stop thinking you're in control. Just shush.

I don't know, just some of the things that popped into my head...

I read in the Sean O'Hagan interview with the Observer that that line is basically about both atheists and religious people like Bono himself. To the atheists it's telling them to stop claiming God is like an old lady or dying, to stop denying that God even exists. To religious people it's to stop trying to help God at every opputunity like someone would if they saw an old lady trying to cross the street. Bono's saying that God is bigger than that, more alive than that and he doesn't need their help, for if you truly believe in him, he will survive.

I buy that. The DNA line/verse plus the two towers being connected by a wire allude to this as well.

He's basically saying god is love and we all have love so why can't that be enough to work together and accomplish shit. I guess that's the comedy bit -- it should be so easy but isn't.

Magnificent is definitely about God. I was born to sing for you, I had no choice but to lift you up, I give you back my voice, etc.

Thank you for one the funniest things I have read on interference.

How about "909 St John the Divine"-any significance? Verse 9:09 in the Gospel of John and in the book of Revelation don't say anything important.

Magnificent is definitely about God. I was born to sing for you, I had no choice but to lift you up, I give you back my voice, etc.

It's about God and/or a woman/Ali, like always in U2's songs, it's interesting in its ambivalence, and Bono leaves it that open and vague.

I think there are a lot of religious/spiritual themes on that album.

Yes. Inspired by Bach's Magnificat, right? Magnificat= song of Mary, Mother of Jesus, Luke 1:46.

1 John 4:18 (perfect love drives out fear) is in Crazy Tonight.

Right. The album is saturated with religious imagery and ideas. This thread should have been up a while ago.

I am surprised by what they did with COL. Cedars of Lebanon, of course is an image (throughout the Psalms) of God's strength, and how those who look up to him could become strong in faith. Bono turns this around and has the world weary journalist questioning both God's strength (to prevent suffering no doubt) and his own heart which has made enemies with his family, the world and God. That's the way I see it anyhow.

Interpretation is personal... I found that line to be a religious reference. If you are religious and believe in God, then most likely there's a Bible or Torah or some other doctrine that your faith follows. However, man has overly interpreted what is meant to be God's Word to the point of being utterly ridiculous. Murders, hatred, segregation, humiliation, torture, discrimination and war have all been committed in "the name of God". We are treating God like some little old person who doesn't know any better at this point. Thanks for your basic advice God, we got it from here. Hence, the reference to "little old lady".

Jesus gave one commandment - love one another. So simple. Forget your religion. Forget your faith, or lack thereof. It is a beautiful sentiment. And that alone is enough.

If we respected God as an elderly statesman, then clearly we wouldn't have such horror in the world. But we don't, and Bono's pointing it out to us in an almost comical manner.

But that's just my interpretation...

^They did?

I have to say that I love the significance of reglion in there songs, for some people it means alot, and then the songs can mean something totally unique to someone else.

My son when he was in 2nd grade had heard Bono saying Gods phone number 3:33 and when he was nervous about a test he said, "I got so nervous that I said 3:33. I said, "You did?" He nodded his head and said, "Well its God's phone number isn't it?" I asked him if God answered and he said, "He'll get back to me with my grade." :cute:

it pisses me off that they moved this thread to "goal is soul".

Why? What's the problem?

The Goal Is Soul
This is a general discussion area about U2 and their faith as found in their lyrics, their own words, as well as books written by others on this subject of their spirituality.

It took me a while to find this place :wink:.

In addition to Magnificat inspiration, you also have the Psalms reference with the "joyful noise" line in Magnificent (it's in a bunch of the Psalms).

Stand up Comedy has that line about "God is love" and then something about evolution...can't really tell what Bono is saying.

Bono is questioning God's existence (at least in war-torn zones) toward the end of Cedars (You're so high above me...where are you in the Cedars of Lebanon?)--similar to the sentiment in Wake up Deadman.

1 John 4:18 in Crazy Tonight as I mentioned above.

I also think that lines like "vision over visibility" and avoiding certainty (MoS and SUC) can be taken in a spiritual context.

And of course the God-old lady reference.

Satan pops up in GOYB.

The entire chorus of UC is God speaking.

I haven't really made out much of the lyrics in Being Born at this point.

What are we missing? :wink:

Magnificent. I think of the choice of one word in the chorus is very significant.

..."Only" love can leave such a mark..."Only" love can heal such a scar...

John 3:16...for God so loved the world, he gave his "only" Son...

Magnificent can be about God, about a woman, or about the band ... I really feel Bono could also be singing this to the rest of the band.

As the band has said, they prefer to draw their (Jesus) fish in the sand - it's there if you want to see it.

Versions of the phrase, "Make a joyful noise unto God" is all throughout the book of Psalms - one of Bono's favorite inspirations. Years ago, Bono also had a quote about our responsibility to God is to give back to Him everything we can.

"I was born to sing for you... I give you back my voice. From the womb, my first cry it was a joyful noise."

I don't think either Ali or the band has been the audience since his birth. But, again, I see those things because I'm familiar with the Bible and with Bono's quotes about his spirituality. The beauty of the songwriting is that someone who doesn't know the background can still hear a love song.

Why? What's the problem?

The Goal Is Soul
This is a general discussion area about U2 and their faith as found in their lyrics, their own words, as well as books written by others on this subject of their spirituality.

Please don't go pyro on me.

The spiritual side of NLOTH is such an important part of the album. By putting this thread in "Goal is Soul" forum, hardly anyone will be able to see it and comment on it as there is much smaller traffic here. The spiritual side of this album will have less discussion that I had hoped.

By putting this thread in "Goal is Soul" forum, hardly anyone will be able to see it and comment on it as there is much smaller traffic here.

There is less traffic here because there aren't many topics here. Maybe if more good topics (like this thread) were added, more people would visit this forum. :up: The same goes for It's A Musical Journey. That forum has seen quite a surge since we started moving threads there. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom