Religious Meanings in NLOTH - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Religious Meanings in NLOTH

I've already heard a few verses and words that made me think of some religious tones on this album.

Anyone hear them too?

I could be wrong, but Moment of Surrender - surrendering yourself to God.
White as Snow - havign a heart as pure as Gods.

etc.

Whaddya think?

JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:24 AM
land as white as snow = heaven

Jdelbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady = fuck knows but hopefully there's some deeper religious meaning to this so as to not be entirely as crazy as it sounds
MikeyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Unknown Caller = A song about God

The whole 3:33 part is "God's telephone number" == “Call to me, and I will answer you; I will tell you things great beyond reach of your knowledge.” Jeremiah 33:3

You can see the J3:33 in the gate number on the ATYCLB cover also, for the those who didn't know:

*boom*
starsgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
The Fly

I think the title track is about creation or the creative spirit.

Substitute the girl with god then consider the time/infinity is a great place to start/hole in heart lines.

Actually, IMO, you can do this with most of the songs on the album and see a cohesive message throughout about creativity/creation and god = love.

Being born - reborn - discovery.

Loving this album
TheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJB View Post
Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady = fuck knows but hopefully there's some deeper religious meaning to this so as to not be entirely as crazy as it sounds
I read in the Sean O'Hagan interview with the Observer that that line is basically about both atheists and religious people like Bono himself. To the atheists it's telling them to stop claiming God is like an old lady or dying, to stop denying that God even exists. To religious people it's to stop trying to help God at every opputunity like someone would if they saw an old lady trying to cross the street. Bono's saying that God is bigger than that, more alive than that and he doesn't need their help, for if you truly believe in him, he will survive.
BloodRedSky2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
I've been thinking about this one. Taking the current world climate regarding religon, (the current climate that hasn't changed in thousands of years) I think it has to do with the idea that 'we' need to stop dictating what God is, what God is telling us and what we think God is telling our neighbors. Stop telling our neighbors Who God is, What God wants, and why they're wrong in whatever way they are living their life.

I once heard that the best way to 'export' your faith, your "Good News" is not by screaming it at everyone you pass by, but by living your life in such a way that anyone passing by would say, "Wow, what kind of a person is this?" and then maybe you'll set an example that others will want to follow.

Similarly in Unknown Caller, if it is God calling, he's telling the phone owner to "shush", just shut up and listen, stop trying to lead, stop thinking you're in control. Just shush.

I don't know, just some of the things that popped into my head...
SeeTheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedSky2k5 View Post
I read in the Sean O'Hagan interview with the Observer that that line is basically about both atheists and religious people like Bono himself. To the atheists it's telling them to stop claiming God is like an old lady or dying, to stop denying that God even exists. To religious people it's to stop trying to help God at every opputunity like someone would if they saw an old lady trying to cross the street. Bono's saying that God is bigger than that, more alive than that and he doesn't need their help, for if you truly believe in him, he will survive.
I buy that. The DNA line/verse plus the two towers being connected by a wire allude to this as well.

He's basically saying god is love and we all have love so why can't that be enough to work together and accomplish shit. I guess that's the comedy bit -- it should be so easy but isn't.
TheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Magnificent is definitely about God. I was born to sing for you, I had no choice but to lift you up, I give you back my voice, etc.
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
eas
The Fly

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Thank you for one the funniest things I have read on interference.
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
eas
The Fly

How about "909 St John the Divine"-any significance? Verse 9:09 in the Gospel of John and in the book of Revelation don't say anything important.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
Magnificent is definitely about God. I was born to sing for you, I had no choice but to lift you up, I give you back my voice, etc.
It's about God and/or a woman/Ali, like always in U2's songs, it's interesting in its ambivalence, and Bono leaves it that open and vague.

I think there are a lot of religious/spiritual themes on that album.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
eas
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBono View Post
Yes. Inspired by Bach's Magnificat, right? Magnificat= song of Mary, Mother of Jesus, Luke 1:46.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
New Yorker

1 John 4:18 (perfect love drives out fear) is in Crazy Tonight.
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
How about "909 St John the Divine"-any significance? Verse 9:09 in the Gospel of John and in the book of Revelation don't say anything important.
I dunno....maybe a reference to The Beatles song "One After 909" written by John Lennon

starsgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nloth, no line on the horizon