Religious discussion in this forum. please read.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in your anger you may have mininterpreted some of the things that I said. We can agree to disagree, though. :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's the point I'm trying to make. It morphed into this and when a non-Christian reads the description of this forum and then enters to see it's all Christian based threads not having to do with U2 I don't think they are going to feel comfortable starting a thread about Buddism. Why would they, technically it's not allowed. For some reason many have taken the liberty to discuss Christian based threads not having to do with U2 and it just kept growing without anyone saying anything. I don't mean this in any negative way but this forum was kidnapped.

Exactly.

:lmao: PLEBA

I dont mind them. I have posted a few times and they have been very friendly. A couple of them went to a great deal of effort to teach me how to post a picture to Interference, a skill I did not have. I did a crap job of it and they were still friendly. I dont hang there often as I stopped kissing posters long before Duran Duran broke up but I understand. Been there, done that.

By the way, for those nonpremium members Pussy what-its is a dead forum. Theres hardly any posts in there at all and the ones that are there are mostly requests to shut the Pussy forum down. Your not missing anything.

As for Its Official, the only rule is there are no rules. I find it friendly, in fact its one of my favourites. It does take a little getting used to but after that its a lot of fun, in my opinion.

My opinion but then Im not offended by Free Your Mind either. I have no issues with posting or even starting threads in there. A lot of the topics discussed in there are foreign to me as Im, well, foreign actually. But I feel confident about asking innocent questions in there. I know, from reading this thread, that not everyone feels the same way. Perhaps because I dont have an opinion either way on most USA politicians my personally opinions are not being offended.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

So, it sounds like its time for a refinement. Should the description of GIS be modified to include general religious discussion or should the Christianity threads not tied to U2 be banished (i.e., restrict forum to the original description)?

Placement is up to Forum moderators. Either the description and rules be modified here or another forum open that is explicitly open to all discussion regarding all religion.

OK, so now people in here are accused of being in some sort of "clique". I will just be honest..Interference as a whole tends to be "cliqueish", and many have stated in response that this is the nature of a forum. I have my opinions as to which areas of Int are the most unfriendly and/or cliqueish, but I'll just keep that to myself. And just as another aside, I don't "kiss posters" or whatever because I post in PLEBA. I enjoy looking at the pictures/talking about Ali or whatever other sweet topic might come up in there, and the camraderie of the women there. Seems to me that some people here are prone to making judgments and generalizations. There are other places here that I don't feel comfortable posting in because of the perception I have of them, but not here. I for one would welcome any and all threads on Buddhism or whatever other religion people might want to discuss. I would find that to be very interesting.

What I don't appreciate is the implication that I or any others here are being dishonest in what they are saying here. Like I said, you have your opinions and you are certainly entitled to them. But at a certain point in this thread, that implication is what I have felt.

Like I mentioned, *perhaps* some people are jumping to conclusions. I could jump to a conclusion that there are other reasons why people don't like this forum, or that some people want the ability to enter here for the sole purpose of deriding the religious beliefs of others. But that certainly would be jumping to conclusions.

Like I have stated before, I have been offended by some of what has been posted here and never said anything-so the "offense" works both ways.

Last edited:
Hi Mrs Springsteen,

It wasnt my intention to offend with the PLEBA remark. My sincere apologies if thats the way my comments have been interpreted. I was actually defending them (in my mind). PLEBA tends to be the punching bag of Interference. I agree, they are a sweet bunch of people.

Peace

beli said:
PLEBA tends to be the punching bag of Interference.
ah, I thought the mod team was

I've grown so bitter :D

my personal views on this,
whether intentional or not this forum doesn't serve its original purpose
I can't judge whether people feel excluded except for the few who have actually posted in here that they do, but it's difficult to judge whether this is a real issue anyway because it's almost impossible to include everyone

you could debate the need for a seperate religion (sub)forum because not everyone feels at ease in FYM
though there will also be people who wouldn't feel welcome in that new forum since that basically is the way life is
it seems to me that there must be plenty of forums on the net where you can discuss your religion
there doesn't need to be a forum for everything at Interference IMHO

nbcrusader said:
This is the single most popular thread in GIS :hmm:

And I started it :D

Of course, one reason I posted it was because if I posted other topics in here, I'm sure they wouldn't be as popular ;)

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I guess people are just drawn to controversy...

Yeah, how many albums has Eminem sold so far.....

I'm a lurker/newbie, technically, and word of FYM, had even reached other U2 forums. Probably not a good idea to stereotype certain folders/areas. I eventually saw what FYM was like, not quite my scene, but I didn't check it out, I found it by reading those "see similar threads."

I've nothing to add really, I get what this forum is for, point taken admin.

That's OK beli..I didn't mean to single you out in anything I said. I know I did, and I apologize for that. Peace to you.

I think you could make the argument that there are plenty of other forums on the net to discuss many of the other topics that forums have been created for here :shrug:

And I don't know how one could determine how "popular" any given thread might be before starting it. Just speaking for myself, I try to read as many threads here as I possibly can..even if for whatever reason I decide not to post in one, I read it for interest sake anyway. Honestly if it's a topic that "degenerates" into something that I just find personally offensive, I just don't post in it. I have shied away from starting topics here/posting here recently because, in light of some things I have read here recently, I didn't want it to turn into any sort of attack on my religious beliefs. Call me thin skinned or whatever, but I have no desire to experience that here.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
I think you could make the argument that there are plenty of other forums on the net to discuss many of the other topics that forums have been created for here :shrug:
of course, but those forums at Interference usually do serve the purpose of why they were started
+ there tends to be more traffic going on in them

I might want my own cricket subforum if it should be decided that we need more forums

nbcrusader said:
This is the single most popular thread in GIS :hmm:

Well, I have lots of other thread ideas, but apparently Elvis is cracking down so I don't have anywhere to post them yet...why start a new topic if it's just going to get moved and no one will see it?

martha said:
Only one thread has been moved, and that was before this discussion began. I haven't seen any "cracking down" yet.

The thread I started was moved and at least two others. It was moved when this thread began and no one posted in it while it was in FYM except myself (unless someone has since this morning...).

nbcrusader said:
Actually, seven threads were selectively moved. I guess some points of expression will not be tolerated in here.

You dont think, it just may be the topic, and not the actual point of view? I guess it is easy to feel as you do rather than think this is going to happen slowly and more importantly once this particular thread has run it's course and everyone has had their say. But I dont know, I don't know your mind.

~~~

Honestly I'm struggling to find out where all the bitterness and simmering anger is coming from in here. Elvis wished to simply move all religion into one place as this was no longer serving the original purpose. Other issues have arisen from this thread which have been interesting in the least. I cant see how it isn't considered a bad thing when some people have admitted they feel awkward in here, or for whatever reasons are uncomfortable. If this did become a general religion forum, this wouldn't be acceptable. It certainly isn't as it is right now. We can bring up all the comparisons we like, of how some feel this way about FYM for example but we aren't talking about FYM and FYM can't be changed to be less aggressive. It has become defined by the minds of the people who post there and that is something no moderator or admin on the face of this earth can overcome. Religion now, as a topic has now the potential to become a forum everyone can be comfortable in. We can all shape what we'd like it to become before it becomes a monster like FYM is. As for this straying from it's original purpose, again we can bring up other examples of where this has been ok in the past like IO. But this isn't IO.
None of us here wish to censor anyone's views. Either everyone is silenced on it, or we get a bigger shoe which fits everyone. The former will not happen in a million years, and besides no one wishes this. So the latter is our option. How we go about making it happen is where people can offer constructive ideas so we have everyone happy.

Angela Harlem said:

Elvis wished to simply move all religion into one place as this was no longer serving the original purpose.

key phrase = "as this [place] was no longer serving the original purpose". Maybe it's the purpose, not the place, that's the issue. I still don't get why it would be so wrong or difficult to change the forum description. Is anyone opposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom