Religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lil'Bono

War Child
OK this is mainly a question for people from northern ireland, do you find that U2 tends to appeal only to the catholics in the north?
I know this might by a little close to the mark saying this but i know a lot of protestants who say they wouldnt listen to U2 because they're a republican band, yeah fair enough they are from the south but they are NOT fucking republicans!! I know this guy who says he has a very reliable source who told him that U2 had ' connections' and he also reckons that you'd never find a protestant in the north who'd listen to a 'fenian' band.

Is this a load of shite, or what?

Wow I don't know where to begin.

What do you mean (or rather what does your acquantance mean) by 'connections'? Connections to what exactly?

Bono has criticised the IRA on numerous occasions and particularly during the late 80s.

However it should also be noted that he is also on record (on a number of occasions) of saying that he supports a united Ireland.

Given that two members of U2 were borne in Britain (Adam and Edge) I doubt if the band would have any regard for the IRA.

I don't know what the personal opinions of Larry Adam or Edge are.

I would hope that like Bono they support a united Ireland by peaceful means but I don't know.

There are plenty of Northern Protestant fans of U2. There may be more Catholic fans but there are still plenty of Northern Protestants that like the band.

Lastly I would point out, although I know that in Ireland generally and especially in the North, the term 'republican' generally means support for Sinn Fein I do not agree with this meaning as it is not the original meaning of the term.

Last edited:
Well said financeguy. I'm one of the plenty and know many others. The question doesn't even arise.

Lil'Bono said:
OK this is mainly a question for people from northern ireland, do you find that U2 tends to appeal only to the catholics in the north?
I know this might by a little close to the mark saying this but i know a lot of protestants who say they wouldnt listen to U2 because they're a republican band, yeah fair enough they are from the south but they are NOT fucking republicans!! I know this guy who says he has a very reliable source who told him that U2 had ' connections' and he also reckons that you'd never find a protestant in the north who'd listen to a 'fenian' band.

"Fenian" or whatever the spelling is :wink: refers to Catholics (all be it in a derogatory way) it does not actually refer to Southern Ireland (Eire)

Also I was under the impression that the band members were mainly Protestant.

Re: Re: Religion

The Fiddler said:
"Fenian" or whatever the spelling is :wink: refers to Catholics (all be it in a derogatory way) it does not actually refer to Southern Ireland (Eire)

Don't want to be a pedant but there is no such entity as "Southern Ireland". This is a common misconception. There is a state called the Republic of Ireland and an entity called Northern Ireland.

The geographical area encompassed by the Republic of Ireland, and its population, are considerably larger than Northern Ireland so it it is misleading (and incorrect) to refer to the Republic as 'Southern Ireland'. Southern Ireland should only be used in a generic sense to refer to the southern-most part of Ireland - for example southern counties like Cork, Kerry, Waterford, etc, but there is no entity or province of Ireland called 'Southern Ireland'.

Re the band members - yes I think you are correct there.

Lil'Bono said:

wtf? :scratch:

Does this make more sense if your from Ireland/the UK?

Re: Re: Re: Religion

financeguy said:

Don't want to be a pedant but there is no such entity as "Southern Ireland". This is a common misconception. There is a state called the Republic of Ireland and an entity called Northern Ireland.

The geographical area encompassed by the Republic of Ireland, and its population, are considerably larger than Northern Ireland so it it is misleading (and incorrect) to refer to the Republic as 'Southern Ireland'. Southern Ireland should only be used in a generic sense to refer to the southern-most part of Ireland - for example southern counties like Cork, Kerry, Waterford, etc, but there is no entity or province of Ireland called 'Southern Ireland'.

Yes you are being pedantic ;) - You will note that I put Eire beside Southern Ireland :wink: . Seeing as I only live a stone's throw from Ireland, I am quite well aware of its geographical makeup :D

Re: Re: Religion

The Fiddler said:

The Edge and Larry are Catholic, actually; Bono is both, and neither at the same time

Re: Re: Re: Religion

ChildofGrace said:
Bono is both, and neither at the same time

I've always wondered about his Catholic side. Honestly, I've yet to read something he's wrote or said that would be Catholic and not Protestant. His big thing about religion being when God has left the building is pretty un-Catholic to me, it seems to go against the idea of a Church, organized religion, or the clergy as a medium between an individual and God. I don't really care either way; I've got nothing against Catholics or Catholicism (in fact, I admire it), but theologically, I can't find much that's Catholic about Bono.

I think Ali had it right...

Yeah, Bono's always talking about how he's half Catholic and half Protestant. Now we know which half is Catholic.

- Ali, on being pregnant with their 4th child, The Late Late Show, 12.15.00

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

biff said:
As was Bono.

I'm not sure where your getting your info from. Any sources I've read indicate he would go to Mass with his father some Sundays and other Sundays go to the C of I chapel.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

financeguy said:

I'm not sure where your getting your info from. Any sources I've read indicate he would go to Mass with his father some Sundays and other Sundays go to the C of I chapel.

No, that's wrong. The parents made a conscious decision to raise both children in the C of I. I will find quotes for you later, but that's definite.

Here you go:

From U2 At the End of the World (Flanagan), page 314:

"You're a Catholic, I say to Mr. Hewson, but Bono was raised Protestant.
'I was Roman Catholic and my wife was Church of Ireland,' he explains. 'Which in those days was unusual, it wasn't readily accepted. Both the boys were brought up as Church of Ireland. 'Cause I thought, well, the mother has to raise the children. When does the father see them? Only at nighttime. The responsibility is more or less hers, she should have it her way.'"

And from Unforgettable Fire (Dunphy), page 20:

'Each Sunday the family set off to worship their separate ways. They went by car, Bobby dropping Iris and the boys outside St. Canice's Church of Ireland before heading off alone to eleven o'clock mass at St. Canice's Catholic Church. When their serivce was over Bobby would be sitting outside waiting to take them home."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

Sue DeNym said:

Edge and Adam were both raised Protestant.

I remember an interview with The Edge in which he said that he is offering his children Catholicism, but it's ultimately up to them. From what I've read he is Catholic.

I didn't know Adam was raised Protestant! What is he now? I know he is the "skeptical" member of U2, but what does this mean? Does he still believe in God? Is he agnostic? I've never been able to find out

ChildofGrace said:

I remember an interview with The Edge in which he said that he is offering his children Catholicism, but it's ultimately up to them. From what I've read he is Catholic.

Sorry, but you must have access to something that no one else has read. If you can find that interview, and share it, then you would be disseminating information that no one else has ever seen. How a Welsh Presbyterian/Shalom Christian Fellowship member became Catholic would be a fascinating story indeed!
I suspect that his first wife was Catholic (I'm not sure), but even if this was the case, he wouldn't be in a position to "offer" their three children Catholicism. That might perhaps be her role. His second wife is Jewish. It's not publicly known how they are raising their children, faith-wise. :shrug:
Edge is most definitely not Catholic. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.:wink: )

but theologically, I can't find much that's Catholic about Bono.

What about the rosary he always wears? Protestants don't take much stock in rosaries.

Unless he's just wearing it to be wearing it, but somehow that idea doesn't sit well with me.

And from Unforgettable Fire (Dunphy), page 20:

'Each Sunday the family set off to worship their separate ways. They went by car, Bobby dropping Iris and the boys outside St. Canice's Church of Ireland before heading off alone to eleven o'clock mass at St. Canice's Catholic Church. When their serivce was over Bobby would be sitting outside waiting to take them home." [/B]

Do you want to share with us the quote as regards where Bono stated that he sometimes went to Mass with his father? :sexywink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've always wondered about his Catholic side. Honestly, I've yet to read something he's wrote or said that would be Catholic and not Protestant. His big thing about religion being when God has left the building is pretty un-Catholic to me, it seems to go against the idea of a Church, organized religion, or the clergy as a medium between an individual and God. I don't really care either way; I've got nothing against Catholics or Catholicism (in fact, I admire it), but theologically, I can't find much that's Catholic about Bono.

I think Ali had it right...

- Ali, on being pregnant with their 4th child, The Late Late Show, 12.15.00

Your post has very very little to do with the question asked by Lil Bono (which, by your own admission, you didn't understand.)

I'm intrigued - do you honestly believe what you've posted is correct? Because frankly I see plenty of evidence of Protestant churches having organised religion, organised churches etc.

Ever watch Christian TV, the God Channel, etc?

Last edited:

biff said:

As was Bono.

Larry was the only one who was raised Catholic.

Then came Shalom.

I thought Shalom was more an evangelical kind of thing, not exactly Catholic.

As far as the original post...sorry, but are you kidding? As someone pointed out, they technically have more Protestant blood or whatever. And all of Bono's lyrical references to religion/god seem to be pretty general, not many catholic themes (at least I don't think so). So I don't understand how that equates to them only appealing to Catholics. And about the "fenian" thing...I remember reading some interview with Bono in the late 80s I think it was, and he said something about how he believed in a united ireland but not under the IRA gun or something typical like that. not to mention all the "this is not a rebel song" stuff.

From your post it seems like the guy you were talking to has an attitude problem as does anyone who seriously wouldn't listen to the band because they have like 3/8 catholic blood or would support a united ireland in theory or something. lots of idiots in the world

Maybe a better question would have been whether NI Protestants specifically of a Loyalist bent dislike U2's support of interreligious harmony.

financeguy said:
Because frankly I see plenty of evidence of Protestant churches having organised religion, organised churches etc.
I agree totally, but I think what LivLuv had in mind was probably more American-style evangelical Protestantism, which is relatively speaking quite decentralized, even though some large and very influential outfits like the Southern Baptists Conference do exist (though these should not be confused with the theologically authoritative status held by, e.g., Episcopalian bishops and the like). There *is* actually such a thing as Catholic evangelicals, charismatic groups like the People of Praise for example--but they have anything but a "God has left the building" attitude towards Catholic ritual, and in fact often have close ties to Opus Dei and so forth.

Like aislinn, I have also always found Bono's rather flagrant way of wearing a rosary a bit untoward--I realize his connections to Catholic charities are impeccable, but still, a rosary is a Catholic prayer accessory, not a piece of jewelry, and in fact there are rules governing how and what types of rosary Catholic clergy and nuns may wear, so as to ensure that no one gets the impression that it is being worn as personal adornment.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

VertigoGal said:

I thought Shalom was more an evangelical kind of thing, not exactly Catholic.

Exactly. That was my point. He ceased to be even remotely Catholic when he became a member of Shalom.

financeguy said:

Do you want to share with us the quote as regards where Bono stated that he sometimes went to Mass with his father? :sexywink:

I can't find the quote at the moment, but it was a remark he made in reference to his adult relationship with his father: That they occasionally, as adults, attended church together. That should not be surprising. Bono has said he goes to church, and that this includes visiting numerous denominations.

:shrug:

biff said:

I can't find the quote at the moment, but it was a remark he made in reference to his adult relationship with his father: That they occasionally, as adults, attended church together. That should not be surprising. Bono has said he goes to church, and that this includes visiting numerous denominations.

:shrug:
I find that surprising since he has often said that his father had a dislike for religion/did not agree with it

financeguy said:

Your post has very very little to do with the question asked by Lil Bono (which, by your own admission, you didn't understand.)

I'm intrigued - do you honestly believe what you've posted is correct? Because frankly I see plenty of evidence of Protestant churches having organised religion, organised churches etc.

Ever watch Christian TV, the God Channel, etc?

I meant in the theoligical, which is more about doctrine and less about worship. The Protestant belief is that NO ONE serves as a medium between an individual and God Himself. We have no "Church" with a capital "C". Historically, Catholocism allows for the notion that clergy and the Church can act as a medium between believers and God, thus encouraging organized, hierarchical religion.

No, I don't watch those channels b/c they're a load of shite and everyone knows it!

Last edited:
aislinn said:

What about the rosary he always wears? Protestants don't take much stock in rosaries.

Unless he's just wearing it to be wearing it, but somehow that idea doesn't sit well with me.

He doesn't wear it the way it was intended to be worn, so I don't think it's meant as an explicitly Catholic symbol, just as a symbol of belief in God in general. Honestly, I don't approve of the way he wears it. I'm not Catholic, but if I were, I'd appreciate a symbol like that (especially one from the Pope) being treated as it was intended to be. I don't want to say he's disrespectful, b/c that implies intent, but I can't think of a better word....

The Protestant belief is that NO ONE serves as a medium between an individual and God Himself. We have no "Church" with a capital "C".

That sounds all lovely in theory but it doesn't function that way in reality, with many, many Protestant denominations.

The Anglican Church (Church of England, Church of Ireland, etc) is essentially like the Catholic Church but minus the guilt, as the saying goes. It is an organized hierarchy of Church (yes, big C) leadership, where God most certainly has not left the building. Furthermore there is also some establishment of a community of saints (see, for example St. George) which very intimately resembles the Catholic ideal. There is very, very little difference between it and the Vatican when you get down to it, and in fact, the Anglican denominations are in practice far more closely related to Roman Catholicism than the Evangelical Protestant denominations of the US.

Back
Top Bottom