Religion - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Religion

OK this is mainly a question for people from northern ireland, do you find that U2 tends to appeal only to the catholics in the north?
I know this might by a little close to the mark saying this but i know a lot of protestants who say they wouldnt listen to U2 because they're a republican band, yeah fair enough they are from the south but they are NOT fucking republicans!! I know this guy who says he has a very reliable source who told him that U2 had ' connections' and he also reckons that you'd never find a protestant in the north who'd listen to a 'fenian' band.

Is this a load of shite, or what?

Lil'Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Wow I don't know where to begin.

What do you mean (or rather what does your acquantance mean) by 'connections'? Connections to what exactly?

Bono has criticised the IRA on numerous occasions and particularly during the late 80s.

However it should also be noted that he is also on record (on a number of occasions) of saying that he supports a united Ireland.

Given that two members of U2 were borne in Britain (Adam and Edge) I doubt if the band would have any regard for the IRA.

I don't know what the personal opinions of Larry Adam or Edge are.

I would hope that like Bono they support a united Ireland by peaceful means but I don't know.

There are plenty of Northern Protestant fans of U2. There may be more Catholic fans but there are still plenty of Northern Protestants that like the band.

Lastly I would point out, although I know that in Ireland generally and especially in the North, the term 'republican' generally means support for Sinn Fein I do not agree with this meaning as it is not the original meaning of the term.

financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Schooner

Well said financeguy. I'm one of the plenty and know many others. The question doesn't even arise.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
The Fly

Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Bono
OK this is mainly a question for people from northern ireland, do you find that U2 tends to appeal only to the catholics in the north?
I know this might by a little close to the mark saying this but i know a lot of protestants who say they wouldnt listen to U2 because they're a republican band, yeah fair enough they are from the south but they are NOT fucking republicans!! I know this guy who says he has a very reliable source who told him that U2 had ' connections' and he also reckons that you'd never find a protestant in the north who'd listen to a 'fenian' band.

"Fenian" or whatever the spelling is refers to Catholics (all be it in a derogatory way) it does not actually refer to Southern Ireland (Eire)

Also I was under the impression that the band members were mainly Protestant.
The Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fiddler
"Fenian" or whatever the spelling is refers to Catholics (all be it in a derogatory way) it does not actually refer to Southern Ireland (Eire)

Don't want to be a pedant but there is no such entity as "Southern Ireland". This is a common misconception. There is a state called the Republic of Ireland and an entity called Northern Ireland.

The geographical area encompassed by the Republic of Ireland, and its population, are considerably larger than Northern Ireland so it it is misleading (and incorrect) to refer to the Republic as 'Southern Ireland'. Southern Ireland should only be used in a generic sense to refer to the southern-most part of Ireland - for example southern counties like Cork, Kerry, Waterford, etc, but there is no entity or province of Ireland called 'Southern Ireland'.

Re the band members - yes I think you are correct there.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Bono

wtf?

Does this make more sense if your from Ireland/the UK?
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

wtf?

Does this make more sense if your from Ireland/the UK?
No, hence my previous post
Old 01-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Don't want to be a pedant but there is no such entity as "Southern Ireland". This is a common misconception. There is a state called the Republic of Ireland and an entity called Northern Ireland.

The geographical area encompassed by the Republic of Ireland, and its population, are considerably larger than Northern Ireland so it it is misleading (and incorrect) to refer to the Republic as 'Southern Ireland'. Southern Ireland should only be used in a generic sense to refer to the southern-most part of Ireland - for example southern counties like Cork, Kerry, Waterford, etc, but there is no entity or province of Ireland called 'Southern Ireland'.

Yes you are being pedantic - You will note that I put Eire beside Southern Ireland . Seeing as I only live a stone's throw from Ireland, I am quite well aware of its geographical makeup
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fiddler

The Edge and Larry are Catholic, actually; Bono is both, and neither at the same time
ChildofGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChildofGrace
The Edge and Larry are Catholic, actually; Bono is both, and neither at the same time
Edge and Adam were both raised Protestant.
Sue DeNym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

Edge and Adam were both raised Protestant.
As was Bono.

Larry was the only one who was raised Catholic.

Then came Shalom.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChildofGrace
Bono is both, and neither at the same time
I've always wondered about his Catholic side. Honestly, I've yet to read something he's wrote or said that would be Catholic and not Protestant. His big thing about religion being when God has left the building is pretty un-Catholic to me, it seems to go against the idea of a Church, organized religion, or the clergy as a medium between an individual and God. I don't really care either way; I've got nothing against Catholics or Catholicism (in fact, I admire it), but theologically, I can't find much that's Catholic about Bono.

I think Ali had it right...

Quote:
Yeah, Bono's always talking about how he's half Catholic and half Protestant. Now we know which half is Catholic.
- Ali, on being pregnant with their 4th child, The Late Late Show, 12.15.00
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
As was Bono.
I'm not sure where your getting your info from. Any sources I've read indicate he would go to Mass with his father some Sundays and other Sundays go to the C of I chapel.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I'm not sure where your getting your info from. Any sources I've read indicate he would go to Mass with his father some Sundays and other Sundays go to the C of I chapel.
No, that's wrong. The parents made a conscious decision to raise both children in the C of I. I will find quotes for you later, but that's definite.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Here you go:

From U2 At the End of the World (Flanagan), page 314:

"You're a Catholic, I say to Mr. Hewson, but Bono was raised Protestant.
'I was Roman Catholic and my wife was Church of Ireland,' he explains. 'Which in those days was unusual, it wasn't readily accepted. Both the boys were brought up as Church of Ireland. 'Cause I thought, well, the mother has to raise the children. When does the father see them? Only at nighttime. The responsibility is more or less hers, she should have it her way.'"

And from Unforgettable Fire (Dunphy), page 20:

'Each Sunday the family set off to worship their separate ways. They went by car, Bobby dropping Iris and the boys outside St. Canice's Church of Ireland before heading off alone to eleven o'clock mass at St. Canice's Catholic Church. When their serivce was over Bobby would be sitting outside waiting to take them home."