Rebirth Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm curious about something. When did you guys become Christians? I mean, can you remember when it was that you decided to accept Christ's forgiveness because of the cross and follow him as Savior and Lord? I'd like to hear your story!

I was born again when I was 12...the summer of 1979. That was also the summer I got boils and stayed most of the summer in bed. It was awful. However, I wonder if the fact that I was laid up helped contribute to my salvation. It certainly gave me lots of time to think.

Great question!
I had to really contemplate this ? not being ?born again? so much as the very *foundations* of my until-then closet Christianity ? when I applied for seminary and they wanted an autobiography. So for me, it kinda looks like this:
Evangelical family, Sunday school and all that; I very earnestly asked Jesus ?into my heart? when I was about 11 ? comprehending nothing of real forgiveness at that age, but simply wanting Jesus to use me, to lead my life and make it ? sunnier, somehow.

I think I responded to Springsteen so strongly when I first heard him, because he invokes God in his art so very intensely, with a kind of desperation for redemption (Adam Raised a Cain, indeed!) ? I related to that at 17. That?s when I recognized how God may speak through the arts.

About twelve years later, I was renewed in my love for Christ when I got quite ill ? sudden and undiagnosed asthma, and believe me: when breathing itself is a struggle, you think a lot about God ? I was reading an anthology of the letters of Van Gogh: a ?failed? preacher, a late-blooming artist (same age as me at the time), and a self-confessed ?ecstatic? personality. I really identified with that, and with his passion for God. During that period, I came to Christ in a deeply personal, emotional way ? he approached my bedside, his love for me touched me profoundly, and my love for him quite took me by surprise, actually ? It was almost unnerving. But my ?attachment? to him, forged at that time, has never waned.

I guess I came to be born in him again, in a more mature way, when I finally was called to ministry. That time, it was like a betrothal, and I was just that giddy. With each phase in my relationship with Christ, I apprehend him more deeply, with greater awe and abject humility. Now I understand forgiveness ? grace ? and it makes me weak with gratitude and the desire to be his completely, to be used as he will.

Amen, brothers and sisters.
Deb

Back
Top Bottom