Pop to ATYCLB: What happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
I'm very curious what happened between 1997 and 2000 to bring the boys back around. Allow me a brief explanation:

Ok, so Bono has ALWAYS written about the place he's in--transitioning to adulthood, searching for God, allowing himself worldly pleasures, etc...

For Pop, he had some SERIOUSLY dark lyrics--think MOFO, IGWSHA, Wake Up... It all sounds so lost and in dispair.

Now, compare that to ATYCLB--BD, Walk On, Stuck. Hope and joy returned.

You don't just arbitrarily change your style or lyrical content, especially from such polar extremes. Something had to have happened to him in that intervening time, but WHAT? I'd wager he had a serious spiritual experience. Any thoughts?

Bono's always approached his spirituality with some questioning.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For...

I just think he was being a little more honest and introspective on Pop rather than writing optimistic anthems. The same desperation is there in Peach on Earth, it's just not as straight forward as Wake Up Dead Man.

I don't know that something really happened. Maybe I'm wrong though. I think it's more the different decades they were working in. During the 90s the music was experimental and the lyrics focused on their own demons more. Now, they're in more of a back-to-rock 'n' roll period, with the lyrics being more general, especially on ATYCLB.
I believe it's just a change in their artistic focus.

Dr. Lemonseed said:
I'm very curious what happened between 1997 and 2000 to bring the boys back around. Allow me a brief explanation:

Ok, so Bono has ALWAYS written about the place he's in--transitioning to adulthood, searching for God, allowing himself worldly pleasures, etc...

For Pop, he had some SERIOUSLY dark lyrics--think MOFO, IGWSHA, Wake Up... It all sounds so lost and in dispair.

Now, compare that to ATYCLB--BD, Walk On, Stuck. Hope and joy returned.

You don't just arbitrarily change your style or lyrical content, especially from such polar extremes. Something had to have happened to him in that intervening time, but WHAT? I'd wager he had a serious spiritual experience. Any thoughts?

He says in the new Rolling Stone interview that he had a serious health scare around '96/'97 or so. He was sure it was throat cancer.
He doesn't end up saying in that article what it actually turned out to be, but it is known that he had some sort of surgery and was not able to sing for several months.
I have always found it very revealing that he chose to read out a portion of Psalm 116 before Streets during the Elevation tour.
Here is Peterson's version, the one Bono used, from The Message:

I love GOD because he listened to me, listened as I begged for mercy
He listened so intently
as I laid out my case before him.
Death stared me in the face,
hell was hard on my heels.
Up against it, I didn't know which way to turn;
then I called out to GOD for help:
"Please, GOD!" I cried out.
"Save my life!"
GOD is gracious--it is he who makes things right,
our most compassionate God.
GOD takes the side of the helpless;
when I was at the end of my rope, he saved me.
I said to myself, "Relax and rest.
GOD has showered you with blessings.
Soul, you've been rescued from death;
Eye, you've been rescued from tears;
And you, Foot, were kept from stumbling."
I'm striding in the presence of GOD,
alive in the land of the living!
I stayed faithful, though bedeviled,
and despite a ton of bad luck,
Despite giving up on the human race,
saying, "They're all liars and cheats."
What can I give back to GOD
for the blessings he's poured out on me?
I'll lift high the cup of salvation--a toast to GOD!
I'll pray in the name of GOD;
I'll complete what I promised GOD I'd do,
and I'll do it together with his people.
When they arrive at the gates of death,
GOD welcomes those who love him.
Oh, GOD, here I am, your servant,
your faithful servant: set me free for your service!
I'm ready to offer the thanksgiving sacrifice
and pray in the name of GOD.
I'll complete what I promised GOD I'd do,
and I'll do it in company with his people,
In the place of worship, in GOD's house,
in Jerusalem, GOD's city.
Hallelujah!

I don't think it's reading too much into things to see why a really serious health scare could lead one to identify strongly with the beliefs expressed in this Psalm. It's interesting to note that Bono's activism for social justice also came back into full force after this important event in his life. Perhaps some promises were made which he is determined to keep. Remember, he has said several times that he has "pledged" his life to the cause of helping the poorest of the poor, a very significant choice of words, I think.

Re: Re: Pop to ATYCLB: What happened?

biff said:

He says in the new Rolling Stone interview that he had a serious health scare around '96/'97 or so.

Great theory but the timing doesn't work with the question at hand.

Maybe the reaction against the PopMart tour really got them down, too. My question is, how low did they go, and when was the low point? Seriously, almost every track on Pop is either about material excess or lack of faith. Then in '98, an apparent turnaround with The Sweetest Thing, and the Best Of. Maybe it was a confluence of factors, or natural "mellowing" with age? Burn out from so many insane tours?

Re: Re: Re: Pop to ATYCLB: What happened?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Great theory but the timing doesn't work with the question at hand.

Huh? The question was what happened between 1997 and 2000, so the timing is bang on. If he thought during 1997 that he had cancer, which is what he says in that article, then that would explain a lot.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pop to ATYCLB: What happened?

biff said:

Huh? The question was what happened between 1997 and 2000, so the timing is bang on. If he thought during 1997 that he had cancer, which is what he says in that article, then that would explain a lot.
Yeah I thought the surgery was before Pop, but just looked it up and it happened in 1999, so maybe you're right.

My bad.

Interesting thread....I do find Pop quite a 'heavy' album to listen to, in terms of the lyrics being pretty pessimistic in parts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pop to ATYCLB: What happened?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah I thought the surgery was before Pop, but just looked it up and it happened in 1999, so maybe you're right.

My bad.

Thanks for that, BVS. Here's the actual quote (or as much as I could find; I think there was more):

"At one point I thought I might have throat cancer, which would've closed down the (recording of) album All That You Can't Leave Behind. I didn't even tell the band.

"My voice had been on low par for about five years... You can really hear it. It seemed to just come down in power.

"The singing on Pop (album) isn't very good. The tour I found difficult to do. I didn't know if it was my voice or whatever.

"I don't want to get too melodramatic about it, but actually it is pretty melodramatic if you think you mightn't be around to see your kids (grow up).

"But luckily, I'm out of those woods."

It's clear that in this article he's really downplaying the impact of that event, but it's not hard to read between the lines.

I'd really like to know what "those woods" actually were. What was making him so ill? We'll never know, I suppose. It's just great that his spirit and his voice are now healed.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pop to ATYCLB: What happened?

biff said:
"At one point I thought I might have throat cancer, which would've closed down the (recording of) album All That You Can't Leave Behind. I didn't even tell the band.."

Smokers sometimes get paranoid about their health.

Can you blame them? I'm paranoid about my health all the time, but I don't smoke. (Though I guess the crack might be a factor.:wink: )

That's *very* interesting...I remember reading an interview around that time period where he mentioned something along the lines of not having much time left in response to a question.

The news of a "health scare" made me wonder if that was what he was refering to? :eyebrow:

When I originally read that article I thought he meant that his music career was winding down...:|

Last edited:
This has been answered before. By all four members I feel.
U2 wants to change the world. They can't change it not being on the radio as Larry said a few times and Bono too.
Also Bono was involved in Jubilee 2000 etc.. around that time, also probably taking a listen to POP and seeing it was a very down record, I really think that influenced and brought out the positive music.
There was another quote as well where Edge said they were trying to be so unpredictable that in a way it was now predictable.
I think it was a combination of all these things and also the fact that so many people purchased The Best Of in 1998!

Sorry to be a cynic, but I think it had a lot more to do with money.

I think Bono was freaked out by the financial troubles of the Popmart tour. Apparently Ali Hewson abused U2 accountant Ozzie Kilkenny about the fact that the band had very little to show from it's success financially after a few failed investments. Combined with the failure of NetAid, Bono saw a fairly bleak future in terms of money and popularity.

I think ATYCLB was deliberately up-beat and commercial because U2 needed to turn things around.

I was readinag this from the Dallas review:

Bono and Edge came to the front of the stage to do a beautiful rendition of "The First Time." At times, Bono's performance of this song almost takes on a confessional tone. He is completely in this song. I was especially moved by Bono's addition of the line "Grace gave it back to me" in reference to the key that he threw away.

That line seems to speak to this issue, perhaps? Bono threw the key away, but grace gave it back... Hello ATYCLB.

I did a website. It is called "The Ethereal Connection: a synthesis of U2 and The Beatles", and i talk about certain things that can maybe offer some insight into what you are inquiring for.
The website is TheEtherealConnection with the w's before of course, and you should go to the "Quaternity Connection" to read about it.

Pop to ATYCLB is a lot of things. I don't doubt that there could be a personal/spritual thing in there for Bono. That is one of the biggest shifts between the two albums, although at the same time, it's also a needed one. There's not much further to go after Wake Up Dead Man. Really only two ways, because it's a prayer and he's waiting on an answer. So there's that, but I also think a lot of it most definitely is commercial consideration. It's no coincedence that after Pop & Popmart got hammered (mostly in the US) they suddenly return with a Best Of (along with The Sweetest Thing single) aimed squarly a the fans most likely to have deserted them at the rumble of Mofo, and then back that up with the most commercially suitable, easily accessible and pop crafted album they have ever made in ATYCLB. From Pop to ATYCLB the music became incredibly simplistic in structure and sound. Mofo to Walk On. The lyrics are straight forward and rather basic. The tour is suddenly stripped right back to be the opposite of the 90's tour excesses. There's all this barking about being the biggest band in the world again. They were on one big sales pitch after the fright they got when they thought a few too many people deserted them. There's a lot more in there, imagery etc, but I've got to run. Basically, not one simple thing but a combo of a few factors. It was a huge change, not just a musical one, not just a thematic one. U2 to the core was turned upside down, in my opinion. An even bigger overhaul than the one that came in between Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby.

Great post Earnie! Feel like I'm seeing a little clearer now! The single-message "less is more" strategy pulled them out of the Pop ditch. I think personal events (Bono's father's health decline and death) probably had the biggest impact of all. But you are totally right, ATYCLB was written musically & lyrically to appeal to a larger audience.

i'm inclined toward saying that during 'Pop', Bono was looking for the Lord in everything. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 'Pop' is 'I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For' spread out, added some anger and some curse words...then all these things happened like you guys are saying, and then BANG we have Bono thanking the Lord for all He has done, because Bono found Him

just my thoughts though

nightninja56 said:
i'm inclined toward saying that during 'Pop', Bono was looking for the Lord in everything. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 'Pop' is 'I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For' spread out, added some anger and some curse words...then all these things happened like you guys are saying, and then BANG we have Bono thanking the Lord for all He has done, because Bono found Him

just my thoughts though

Nice Theory, but my understanding of ISHFWILF is that we won't find what we're looking for until we're pushing up the daisies ;)

To add to what I said earlier, I think part of the change in sound was because the band realized its eligibility for the rock 'n' roll hall of fame was coming up and they wanted to go into it as a rock band. And a successful one at that.

Back
Top Bottom