Phillip Yancey quote on Bono....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnytakeawalk

Refugee
Thought this was a nice quote by Yancey when asked about Bono and how he 'fits in' with the church.

Interviewer Bono is an example of a man who does not seem to fit the middle-class, non-smoking, non-drinking, go-to-church-twice-a-week Christianity that is so prevalent, yet he spends much of his time on social causes such as the AIDS awareness program, Amnesty International and the One campaign. What do you believe is the greater issue as far as Jesus is concerned?

Yancey I recall Jesus’ comment about the Pharisees who went so far as to tithe their kitchen spices and yet who neglected the weightier matters of justice and mercy. I don’t believe Jesus smoked, but apparently he drank wine, was not a member of the middle class, and consistently disappointed or disturbed the religious authorities of his day. Maybe a more challenging question would be, How can the church find a place for someone like Bono, and vice versa? Why must they be in contrast?

I don't think there are too many people who fit the middle-class, non-smoking, non-drinking, go-to-church-twice-a-week Christianity. Not as prevalent as some people seem to think. So maybe Bono is more of the norm than the exception in 2011. He puts his faith into real action, and no amount of church going can make up for a lack of doing that.

Back
Top Bottom