Philip Yancey talks about U2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.ccmmagazine.com/features/2512.aspx There's the link for the whole article. It's a beautiful piece, but it's 3 pages so I didn't want to post the whole thing here I would suggest reading it though! I think there was a question a long time ago wondering if U2 had read any Brennan Manning. I think this will answer our questions.

Phillip: "I think it’s OK to tell this story. U2 came to New Orleans and played in the Superdome. Brennan Manning [The Ragamuffin Gospel, Signature of Jesus was in New Orleans, so they looked him up because they had read his books. Edge [guitarist] said, "OK, Brennan, I have two questions for you." I forget the first one. The second one was: "Can I glorify God by being the best rock guitarist I can be?" And Brennan said, "Absolutely you can. If that’s your calling, you can."

In a lot of ways Edge is a more thoughtful, content-oriented guy than Bono. But he’s aware that Bono’s the front guy. [He’s probably thinking:] "Bono is the media-savvy [one]. He can handle the crowds, and that’s not my goal, and that’s not my calling. I probably wouldn’t be very good at it. But I can be God’s guitarist!"

I would love to know what the first question was. LOL

Thanks for posting this Bri, I will read it when I get some quiet time! I do believe though that Bono has read Brennan Manning. I thought I read that somewhere. Thank you for posting this article.

JC :hug:

JCOSTER said:
Thanks for posting this Bri, I will read it when I get some quiet time! I do believe though that Bono has read Brennan Manning. I thought I read that somewhere. Thank you for posting this article.

JC :hug:

Thanks JC!! It's good to hear from you! How have you been?:hug: It looks like Edgie has read Manning too! :wink:

redhotswami said:
I haven't read any of these people :sad:

Stephen Curtis Chapman is a Christian singer. Awesome music!:up: I would definitely suggest reading Manning and Yancey when you get a chance. For Yancey, I would suggest reading "The Jesus I Never Knew" and then "What's So Amazing About Grace" For Manning, I would suggest, without a doubt, first "The Ragamuffin Gospel", and then "The Signature of Jesus" After that, they both have many more amazing books to explore!:rockon:

The Disciple said:
The Ragamuffin Gospel is an AMAZING book.

I agree!!! It's one of my new favorites! If you have it with the 19 Mercies addition (if not, I would seriously consider going out and buying it!) read Number 14 "Washing Feet" again. I can't tell you how much that part freed me!:heart: What an experience that must've been for him! If anyone wants to see it, let me know, and I'll put that part on here. Actually, I don't know if it's against the rules to post something like that out of a book here, so I'll gladly PM or e-mail to anyone who would care to read it. That page and a half alone makes the book worth it.:D

Last edited:
I LOVE Brennan Manning. If you have not read Ragamuffin Gospel...put it on your list. Abba's Child is also amazing. Cool to know the guys have read his books. I have always wondered if they had.

I agree!! The boys, I think, are much more spiritually grounded than even we give them credit for. I have yet to read "Abba's Child" Can you give me a general description?

Abba's Child is a refreshingly sweet and simplistic book about living authencially. So often we as believers hide in shame from failure and frustration and do not really allow ourselves truely see that we are God's beloved. It talks about the "imposter" or our false self that we put on to show the world and oursleves that we have it all together. This "imposter" is who we so often turn to in times of brokeness time after time instead of truely finding our identity in the freeing, unconditional love of Jesus Christ. The book allows you to see you are loved beyond imagine by the One who is LOVE. Refreshing. I hope you get the chance to read it.

drdre12 said:
Abba's Child is a refreshingly sweet and simplistic book about living authencially. So often we as believers hide in shame from failure and frustration and do not really allow ourselves truely see that we are God's beloved. It talks about the "imposter" or our false self that we put on to show the world and oursleves that we have it all together. This "imposter" is who we so often turn to in times of brokeness time after time instead of truely finding our identity in the freeing, unconditional love of Jesus Christ. The book allows you to see you are loved beyond imagine by the One who is LOVE. Refreshing. I hope you get the chance to read it.

Wow!!! That sounds amazing!! I will definitely check that out as soon as I get a chance!! That's one of the things that bothers me about so many Christians. Have you ever read any Philip Yancey?

Back
Top Bottom