Ok this little assertion about U2 REALLY bums me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacepandemic

The Fly
Ok so I have always loved U2s music. Ive been to about 3 concerts total but Ive always bought the CDs and Im always interested in what bono has to say about things especially his humanitarian work...soo...

a while back this website (I forget which one) had this article discussing how U2 was "faith based rock" and or "christian rock".....

that really bummed me out because Im no great friend of the born again christian/worship types...and for good reason.

a female friend of mine had this boyfriend and he was always making her go to church and he always telling me how accepting Jesus would save my life and then after like 5 years she just broke up with him and like 6 months later she told me he had been beating her and having non consentual sex with her for like 4 years.....so....

I really hope that U2 isnt all tied up in the lie that is "christian" morality and its supposed lifestyle.

Sure I think religion is good at its core and Im sure U2 is good at its core...I just know that a lot of people abuse religion to project an acceptable social image.

Id just like to think that U2 is about the music and the rock and not about baptizing people in the crowd you know.

This is in the wrong sub-forum.

Anyway, to address the question U2 are influenced by Christian themes but that is not the same as faith-based rock.

On a side note, the expression 'faith-based rock' makes me cringe.:huh:

Although when I heard Bono had started to compare their shows to a 'prayer meeting' in some of the Elevation gigs I cringed.

Wonder what Adam Clayton and Paul McGuinness thought of it as neither of them are practising Christians? :wink:

Last edited:
peacepandemic said:

I really hope that U2 isnt all tied up in the lie that is "christian" morality and its supposed lifestyle.

I think you'll find all Chirstians to be different. Some are very self righteous, some aren't.

Have you ever seen or heard U2 to do anything in this vein?

I'm not sure what the concern is...

No worries, U2 is not "Christian rock" or CCM, they're a mainstream rock group whose members happen to be Christian.

Why you would associate U2 with your friend's ex-boyfriend is beyond my understanding. To my knowledge, U2's members do not engage in physical abuse nor do they force people to have sex with them. It might come as a surprise, but I am a Christian and I do not do those things either. :huh:

U2 is cool. :yes:

U2 ain't Christian Rock, though some people just won't let that idea die. Remember this....of the 20,000+ people who attend a U2 show every night, how many of them are thinking that they are seeing any kind of Christian rock band? My guess is very very few.

Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliot, Nick Cave, Kanye West, Moby, Lenny Kravitz. I could go on. Are these Christian rockers/rappers/hip hoppers? No. Do they consider themselves to be Christians? Yep.

About that Christian Morality thing that you hope they are not tied up in...I'm assuming you mean the stereotypical Evangelical/fundy/born again/Christian Rock rules for clean living regarding sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Members (Christian and non) of U2 break most of them with no apologies. (And I am not saying this is good or bad, just making an objective statement). And U2 is not an all-Christian band. Bono and Edge will aknowlege their beliefs (though Bono's comments on the subject can be a little confusing). Larry is often cited as the third Christian though I don't think he has even commented on it for years. Adam has, as far as I know, never been particuarly religious.

(P.S. Finance Guy talked about being uncomfortable when Bono called the Elevation shows "Prayer Meetings". I was watching a Bruce Springsteen Concert the other night and he used similar religious overtones to label his concerts, you could have sworn he was a traveling preacher by the rhetoric he used. My point is, U2/Bono would never make anyone of any (or no) faith feel uncomfortable spiritually at their shows/in their records.)

Last edited:
Just because someone is a Born Again Christian doesn't make them free from sinning ever again.

Sinning is human in nature.

I'm sure even Bono does as well (once a decade maybe :wink: )

Since we haven't heard from peacepandemic again in this thread, maybe he realizes it was kind of silly to be 'bummed out' by U2's faith. I'm sorry about what happened to his friend, but it's a stretch to bringing U2 into the picture.

2Hearts said:
Since we haven't heard from peacepandemic again in this thread, maybe he realizes it was kind of silly to be 'bummed out' by U2's faith. I'm sorry about what happened to his friend, but it's a stretch to bringing U2 into the picture.

You havent heard from me again (until now) because I only pop in and out of here every once in a while.

And Yeah Im still bummed out. People manipulate religion for their own ends everyday it seems. If U2 believes in God, Im cool with that. Im just not cool with the whole idea of "christian morality". I consider myself a pretty moral abiding person but I think most "religious" morality is more posturing for social acceptance and or the fear of hell than any real desire to do the right thing.

Religious Conservatives are the scariest people on the planet to me and Im just hoping U2 is above all that nonsense.

Religious Conservatives are the scariest people on the planet to me and Im just hoping U2 is above all that nonsense.

I try to let the teachings and life of Jesus define my ideas about morality. Sometimes that means agreeing with the views of religious conservatives, and sometimes it means disagreeing with them. It's just a matter of thinking for yourself instead of accepting doctrine just b/c it's convention. From what I've read, the members of U2 (possibly even Adam) would fall into this category also.

If you're uncomfortable listening to anyone who follows Jesus (not saying you are), you can always listen to Blink 182. :wink:

No offense, peacepandemic, but......... this kind of thing happens a lot in the world.

The real danger lies within the human heart, so to say. Hypocrasy like is something I can't stand, but I'm not surprised by it anymore. Many things are this way, unfortunately. But that's the nature of the beast...

I do believe that some U2 songs speak out against such hypocrasy, though. Like Sunday Bloody Sunday........

"Where's the glory in killing for the reveloution?"

(From the rattle&hum dvd)

Peacepandemic...I recommend that you get acquainted with U2 (the music, the members, everything) a lot more, then I think your worries will be put to rest. Read articles, books, etc.

I don't know what more we can say but to keep telling you that:

A lot of us U2 fans are not religious and we seem to be fine with any beliefs the members of U2 might have

Not all members of U2 are even religious, how could they really have a religious agenda if this is the case?

And of course, the "conservative Christian morality" thing.... For this to still worry you you must know very little about the band, which is why I recommend finding out more about them. I will tell you this...Bono has always said that he has never believed in legalsim in Christianity or that there are any specific rules to follow.

U2 is still very much a ROCK BAND, if you catch my drift. If you're worried they are too pious for sex drugs and rock and roll, don't worry, they're not :wink:

Last edited:
I think it was bono who once said "Im a frisbeetarian, I believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down" or something to that effect.

Yes, there are themes of faith and spirituality in a lot of U2 songs. However, they are not all Christian...Bono tends to blend ideas from many different faiths in his music.

when it comes right down to it...why should it matter? Do you like their music? Do you enjoy seeing them live? Do you think bono is one smart mofo even when he's been hitting the bottle? If you answered yes to one or more of these questions you are a U2 fan. Just go along for the ride and enjoy :)

Peacepan.. hate to break it ta ya, but Bono does in fact believe in Jesus as Lord although he does not follow one certain church.

Most of his lyrics refer to God and the Holy Spirit.

There is a wonderful poem by Maya Angelou called "I am a Christian", that for me, ideally states what I see as it's true definition. Google it. It's worth it.

As in all other aspects of life, there is much hypocracy, sin and failure in Christianity.

You're reading the rantings of a sinner and liar right now... but also of a Christian and a Child of God.

The world is mostly grey.... Very lil' black and white out there.

Peace.

IMO, Christina values are good, morality is good, the thing is that people don't respect that and turn, as you have already heard, religion into a club :) Basically, I think that's it, justifying sins and bad things you consciously do and covering it with this type of "morality"

Just found a website with excerpts of Bono's new book where he discusses his standing on God, faith and religion. Since I'm not allowed to post a weblink, I will say that if you wish to see this webpage, you can type in the three double-u's as always followed by the period then type in:

christianitytoday.com/music/interviews/2005/bono-0805

then period. then "html".

^ The article is good, but I've read the book and it's better (as would be expected).

it's a great book, and hate it or love it most of U2's music is spiritually related, which should be proof enough that it's ok to believe in something amazing. obviously the greatest band in the world does. and you're still all fans! wooha!

You need to understand that just because someone calls themself a christian doesn't mean they truly are one.

Like Jesus said, you know a christian by their fruits (good works). If someone is beating his girlfriend yo can safely bet that he isn't a true christian.

The title of "Christian" doesn't make a difference in reality.

shart1780 said:
You need to understand that just because someone calls themself a christian doesn't mean they truly are one.

Like Jesus said, you know a christian by their fruits (good works). If someone is beating his girlfriend yo can safely bet that he isn't a true christian.

The title of "Christian" doesn't make a difference in reality.

Interesting...

So it's good works that makes one saved?

nbcrusader said:
No, it should be the product of a saved person.

It almost seems like a semantical game, rather than a distinction of any real consequence. All religions make judgments based on works, it appears, and then condemn certain groups of people to hell based solely on those actions.

Just my long running observation from someone who grew up with a religion that put value on both faith and good works.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

No, it should be the product of a saved person.

Right but I'm interested in what Shart was alluding to, it seemed as if he was alluding to the fact that he can tell who a real Christian is and isn't. And that perhaps part of that perception has lead him to judge certain members of the band U2...

But I'm sure we won't hear back from him.:shrug:

Ah-HA! I remembered to check back!!

No, I don't think good works make a christian, but like it was said earlier, they're a product of a God-filled life! A person who was filled with the love of Christ wouldn't beat his girlfriend! Or at least he wouldn't do it continually.

Jesus does say that you will KNOW a christian by their fruits. This means that you can look at someone's life and judge them accordingly. Of course you shouldn't judge prematurely though. Jesus doesn't condemn us for judging though. He tells us to judge righteously.

My point is that beating your girlfriend isn't something that God would be ok with just because the guy calls himself a christian. To be a christian you have to be a follower of Christ. A follower of Christ loves and spreads the good news, he doesn't beat his girlfriend (he loves her :) ).

^Ok so what does that have to do with this thread? That's what I was trying to get at.

*sidenote: I've heard people quote the "we should judge righteously" thing before, yet not one ever did so correctly. I mean if I of all people can point out their hypocrisy than the truly righteous definately can. There's a big difference in righteousness and self righteousness, and believe me I've seen very few who can do it without the self involved.

It has to do with the thread because the original poster was implying that U2 shouldn't put forth a christian image because there are some so-called christians who are hypocritical.

Saying that somone isn't a christian because they live a life of continual sexual immorality and violence is judging righteously (and logically).

why is it that when a person meets on christian who is obviously acting wrong or being a fool, that all christian s are jerks or fools . that is so narrowminded. do we define all blacks as N*&%$rs because of a few. It s backwards predjudice. Please stop blaming all christians on the actions of some. Yes U2 are christians , sorry if this offends you.

Check this out:
http://www.goodfight.org/e_u2.html
it's from a Christian group who believe that U2 is the devil (from an earlier post)-it's really like any other thing in this world, the view all depends on where you standing. If you like their tunes, then just keep rocking. I mean, if you didn't notice they were Christians until someone told you, what's the problem? The lyrics, music, etc...are all the same, just means different things for different folks.
U2-the universal band

:D

Back
Top Bottom