My troubles with Praying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevation2u

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I am a big believer of God, Jesus whatever you wish to call him, I believe they are one. I have accpeted God as my savior therefore I know I am saved not by actions but by grace. I know I am a sinner but a forgiven sinner. But lately my praying has become empty, like it feels it doesn't even reach the ceileing. I never have recited prayers but rather fromed them from the thought and love og God and everything he has done for me. So why am I having problems now? I now this kinda stuff happens to everyone, when it feels your hope is diminishing. And it makes me rage against myself knwoing the devil has tricked me. How do you guys pray? do you guys ever have problems? I know it's a communication and a time to give thanks.

Praying is not easy ?

I don?t think that having difficulty praying means the devil has tricked you ? even the holiest of people have trouble praying every now and then. Just like we sometime have difficulty communicating with family and friends, there may be time when we have trouble communicating with God.

What is important to remember is that God knows our hearts? true intentions ? God knows you love him and will help you find your way back to him.

Sometimes when I am going through a rough time communicating with God, I have to take a step back and stop being so hard on myself. I just clear my mind and start to talk to God as I would talk to one of my friends?about my worries, fears, joys, etc.

elevation2u said:
So why am I having problems now? I now this kinda stuff happens to everyone, when it feels your hope is diminishing. And it makes me rage against myself knwoing the devil has tricked me. How do you guys pray? do you guys ever have problems? I know it's a communication and a time to give thanks.

I agree that everybody does have such times in which they can't do it right or 'satisfying' enough......
but I wouldn't say that the devil has tricked you. If you believe that he tricked you - then it is too late, but every time you try it again, you are still on the right way.......
How do I pray? I mostly make it very short - not because I'm not interested in praying or stuff - but I think that no matter what I say or think, God does know it anyway. And if I have problems God knows it as well. But when I kow that there is something I can rely on then the problems are gone actually.
God knows that you try to at least and this is the most important thing. <--sounds a bit :huh: I know.....

FallingStar said:

How do I pray? I mostly make it very short - not because I'm not interested in praying or stuff - but I think that no matter what I say or think, God does know it anyway. And if I have problems God knows it as well.

I know what you're saying ... sometime when life gets crazy and I don't make a separate time in my schedule to focus on prayer, I find myself praying at the most unusual times (driving, in the shower, when I am working in the garden). I just call on God when i am moved to.

thanks a lot guys.
god sure moves in mysterious ways, i was reading the bible today, and I came upon the perfect verse. it was about praying and how we sometimes have nothing to say but god reads our mind and our heart, that really helped me out a lot. it was in Romans 8 and it made my day.

A speaker I heard in church once said that many Christians just don't feel like praying because prayer seems like a chore most times. He wondered about this 'phenomenon' and came up with the conclusion that the devil tries to discourage us from prayer every chance he gets because he realizes how powerful it is.

foray

Nice thread about a problem we all have from time to time.

There is also a whole school of thought that says God intends our experience of prayer to be "dry" sometimes as a way of helping us mature in our commitment to him regardless of whether we happen to feel like we're getting anything out of it on a particular day. I can't think of whom, but I've read one book whose author said they thought that prayer we do when we feel like it isn't even getting past the ceiling is probably the most precious to God and the most spiritually upbuilding for us since it can only come out of our real love and commitment to him.

i don't pray altogether too often, something i do by choice. when i pray, it's a conversation, a LONG conversation. just spilling out my worries and fears and joys . rarely if ever do i use a pre-written prayer, because at the stage i am at with my own Christian side, i'm not too fond of ritual because for me, it has no meaning.

maybe it would make it easier on you if you just started conversing. talk about your friends, your family, your job, just regular stuff. hopefully that would lead you into other things, then you can begin your actual prayers.

I pray my own little prayer every night before I go to sleep. Im a Catholic and I can remember being taught all of the prayers in school and what I do is kind of make my own version of the Act of Contriction(sp?). I talk to God when I dont feel like prayer or when praying doesnt help.

foray said:
A speaker I heard in church once said that many Christians just don't feel like praying because prayer seems like a chore most times. He wondered about this 'phenomenon' and came up with the conclusion that the devil tries to discourage us from prayer every chance he gets because he realizes how powerful it is.

foray

That reminds me on the Screwtape Letters......the devil trying the discourage people from praying......

Originally posted by adamswildhoney
I pray my own little prayer every night before I go to sleep. Im a Catholic and I can remember being taught all of the prayers in school and what I do is kind of make my own version of the Act of Contriction(sp).

That's sort of the same that I do as well. When I was small my father prayed with me everytime before going to bed........
But I have to say that I didn't even learn another prayer than the Lord's Prayer.........That's what everybody had to learn in school, but half of the class didn't anyway........I think it's sad that one doesn't get at least showed other prayers............My parents just know the Lord's Prayer and one or two small ones - that's the only stuff I can pray. :(

Elevation2u,

Rom. 8 is some powerful stuff. It's absolutely amazing that God Himself actually intercedes for us!:yes:

I personally think that if the devil had "tricked" you, then you wouldn't be giving a rip if you were praying or not. Regardless, it seems that God is drawing you to Himself through the situation and scripture. Good luck.

Only out of curiousity

Hey agentorange, is your nickname taken from the Vietnam war? That poison gas for making the trees let their leaves fall so that the Vietnam soldiers could be seen from the American planes easily? Just a question, but I wondereed that already when I saw your name for the first time.....

FallingStar said:

My parents just know the Lord's Prayer and one or two small ones - that's the only stuff I can pray. :(

I went to cataschism(sp?) when I was young and what you were taught were the prayers the Catholic Church says most often and so that how I learned all of the different prayers and also I read a lot about Catholism, it helps me to better understand it.

I very rarely pray at a certain time of the day regularly. I just sort of talk to Him, thank Him, ask Him little questions through out the day. Everytime something good happens or I do something well I thank Him then and there in my mind. When I slip up or sin, I ask forgiveness the second after I do or think it. Cuz i know He saw it!!!! I do try to pray every night before bed, but it doesn't always happen. I will continue to work on this.......

adamswildhoney said:
I went to cataschism(sp?) when I was young and what you were taught were the prayers the Catholic Church says most often and so that how I learned all of the different prayers and also I read a lot about Catholism, it helps me to better understand it.

Oh, I could go to this Cataschism, but I think I'm too lazy - I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. I'd prefer learning it in a regular way, but since my parents have a mixed marriage ( :sad: reminds me on Bono...) we have both Protestant and Catholic books in the house. I already started reading the bible like I was adviced here (thank y'll who responded to my thread BTW :D )and I will hope to get it through the books and the bible.......and furthermore I don't think that such a Cataschism even exists here in my city......

While I try to stay away from written prayers (unless taken directly from scripture), I tend to follow this pattern:

1. Praise God for Who He Is (not what He does for me)
2. Confess my sins before God (sometimes I confess my way through the 10 commandments)
3. Thank God for what He has done in my life
4. Make my requests for my day, my family, friends and others I've committed to pray for.

I also use the Psalms for prayer - if I can't think of words, what better source than the Word of God.

I've been finding lately that I am having a very hard time praying. I fear that perhaps I do not believe in it anymore, which I never thought I'd be saying.

Bonochick said:
I've been finding lately that I am having a very hard time praying. I fear that perhaps I do not believe in it anymore, which I never thought I'd be saying.
:( :hug: Maybe it is just a time taht will pass? :)

Back
Top Bottom