My take on Original Of The Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
First, I'd like to say that "...Bomb" has become one of my fave U2 CDs, simply because of "the way it makes me feel"

Here's my take on "Original..."

I have heard that it is about Bono's love for his first child, and I don't doubt that. However, I also think he intended it to have a second meaning or perhaps multiple meanings. Here's my stab at interpretation.

I think it's God's love for mankind, maybe primarily the first man.

Original Of The Species

>Baby slow down
>The end is not as fun as the start
>Please stay a child somewhere in your heart

(Christ said you cannot enter the kingdom unless you come as a child ie: with the faith of a child)

>I’ll give you everything you want
>Except the thing that you want

(What does man want that God will not give him? Man wants independence - he wants to be his own God. God wants man to rely on him because of his great love for man, but even if man doesn't rely on God, that doesn't change the fact that God is God and is in control)

>You are the first one of your kind

>And you feel like no-one before
>You steal right under my door
>And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more

(The Bible says that to bring man into fellowship with God, Christ -when he was a man on earth- took on the form of servant; he places himself in submission to and under the authority of God. He kneels before the Father.)

>I want the lot of what you got

(God wants our whole heart, everything we are)

>And I want nothing that you’re not

(God gives us freedom to be who we were made to be in Him. We aren't cookie cutter impresions of others - we are all unique)

>Everywhere you go you shout it
>You don’t have to be shy about it

(God wants us to freely express who we are in Him and our love for him)

Some things you shouldn’t get too good at
Like smiling, crying and celebrity
Some people got way too much confidence baby

I’ll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want
You are the first one of your kind

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not

Everywhere you go you shout it
You don’t have to be shy about it, no
And you’ll never be alone
Come on now show your soul
You’ve been keeping your love under control

You don’t have to be shy about it
Oh my my

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want you some more, I want you some more…

80sU2 - thank you for your excellent analysis of "Original of the Species". :applaud:

I concur with your basic analysis that OOTS could very easily be God's plea to humankind - the "original of the species".

It is said that Bono wrote this song for Edge's daughter for whom Bono is the godfather. On the surface, it seems an appropriate explanation (right up to the very sweet lullaby- sounding piano music in it).

But, as those of us who have followed U2 for many years (for me, over 23 years) know, Bono's lyrics are almost always multilayered in their meaning.:yes:

I also thought Bono may have ended up writing this song partly for his bandmates and for himself - to help remind himself TO ALWAYS BE TRUE TO HIMSELF AND TO NOT LOSE THAT CHILDLIKE INNOCENCE AND TRUST IN LIFE THAT HE HAD AT THE BEGINNING OF U2.

And then, there is your excellent interpretation that this song is actually Bono's take on what God would want to say to His/Her children (us).

All three interpretations are very plausible and probably did cross the B-man's mind when he created this song/psalm.:wink:

What a wonderful thread on Thanksgiving Day.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:
80sU2 - thank you for your excellent analysis of "Original of the Species". :applaud:

I also thought Bono may have ended up writing this song partly for his bandmates and for himself - to help remind himself TO ALWAYS BE TRUE TO HIMSELF AND TO NOT LOSE THAT CHILDLIKE INNOCENCE AND TRUST IN LIFE THAT HE HAD AT THE BEGINNING OF U2.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this song could have many meanings, and though I had never even thought of the bandmates interp, it is perfectly valid, also. I can definitely see that being one of the meanings.

Let's face it - that's one of the great things about Bono's lyrics. They so often have a way of touching you where you're at in life. And where you're at may be different than where your friendis at, but the same song speaks to both of you just as powerfully.

U2 is a master at that - in fact, I think they are the absolute best at it. It puts their lyrics on a different plane than all the others.

I mean, I love ABBA, but how many different ways can you interpret "Dancing Queen"? Now, "Dum Dum Diddle"; that's a different story...:wink:

Dum dum diddle
to be your fiddle
to be so near you
and not just hear you
dum dum diddle
to be your fiddle
I think then maybe
you'd see me, baby
you'd be mine
and we'd be together all the time
wish I was
dum dum diddle
your darling fiddle

scottyT said:
great interpretation!
Thanks a lot!
I know it's not the official translation, but that's how it affects me personally.

80sU2isBest said:

>I’ll give you everything you want
>Except the thing that you want

(What does man want that God will not give him? Man wants independence - he wants to be his own God. God wants man to rely on him because of his great love for man, but even if man doesn't rely on God, that doesn't change the fact that God is God and is in control)

I loved your whole post and interpretation but especially this part. This line has really been in my head a lot and I sort of had an idea of what he meant but I couldn't really put it into words or grasp it. Your writing has given me more to think about here. :up:

Back
Top Bottom