My brother's passing and Are You Gonna Wait Forever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
My best friend and brother who is 15 months younger than me (and only 29) passed away on Aug 18 in a car crash. He was a huge U2 fan due to a large part because of me always playing them. He saw several shows with me. As I have thought about lots of memories and different things, it strange the songs that keep coming to memory and how their meaning has changed for me because of his passing. One of his favorites was In A Little While and it now takes on the "joey ramone gospel meaning" to me now. The other one that has really changed and seems to much deeper is Are You Gonna Wait Forever. It was my brother's favorite song from the Bomb.

My brother was going through a tough time before his death, but he had really started to turn it around. He was Christian whose faith was so strong, and despite the 'obstacles' he always held fast to the idea of grace. Anyway this song seems to be a really deep and comforting song now, when I used to see it only as simple pop song. My brother, Jed, found himself and his identity in Jesus Christ, and I see that in this song. Maybe its not what Bono intended when he wrote, but its comforting to me now.

I also see it as all the things I put off, I can't wait around for anymore. We are not guranteed a long time on this earth.

I'm rambling, but I really am taken a back all the time by U2 music and lyrics. I always seem to see things new all the time through their songs that help comfort.

All the obstacles in my way now
They’re disappearing every day now
I’m getting closer, we’re getting closer to home
It won’t be long ‘til the summer comes

Are you gonna wait forever

Getting out from under my bed now
Gonna say the things I should’ve said now
Getting closer, getting closer to what’s true
Gonna find myself in you

There’s no one there behind their eyes
They’re in the business of beautiful lies
We keep the promise ‘cause we don’t know how to break it

The furniture you can rearrange
Don’t trade your dreams for some small change
Guard the flame, or better, leave it naked

How, how, how
Or is it now, now, now
Or is it now

Wow.

Sorry to hear about your brother. It's cool he had a relationship with Christ and it's neat you have these great songs, as well as your countless memories of him, to keep you going. I'll be praying for you and your family.

God bless.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother! He sounds like he lived a "grace-full" life though! I'll be praying for you and your family! You've got a whole community here if you need any of us.:hug: :pray:

So very sorry about your brother.
Hope knowing there are others who share the feelings and hope for peace for you will help you through the years ahead. Finding comfort in U2's music is something many of us share, in the same and different ways.

THANK YOU JP

"My best friend and brother" those simple words and the words that followed REALLY touched me tonight, i am so sorry for your loss and am so moved by your take on the lyrics.
I've always felt there is a beautiful community around this forum and what is U2 but this one really does it big time. In my own way (though it feels small compared to this) i am going through a very painful crisis, i want to move towards love but have to go (like so many of us) through things that test every nerve and sinew, so when i saw the lyrics for the first time to "are you gonna wait forever" i was profoundly moved just when i needed it (guard the flame or better leave it naked, wow) and i haven't even heard this song yet from Bomb, is it on the US album version? not on UKs.
Thank you, i suspect your words reverberate far further than you imagine,may your brother live in peace and love forever
Jules

Re: Re: Thanks Dana

U2isthebest said:

It's avaliable on iTunes! It's part of the Complete U2 boxset, but you can buy it individually as well, at least in the U.S.

Post your email and you might get a surprise.

Dana

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana

U2isthebest said:

I've got it already. Did you mean to quote julesz?

Yeah, I did. I get confused sometimes as to whether it's the quote button on top or on the bottom. Thought I hit the right one, sorry.

Dana

I can't imagine the pain of Ur loss..... but maybe, just maybe, U can find SOME solace in the thought that our loss here on Earth is a gain 4 the Kingdom of God in Heaven. He's back home now, in the arms of the Loving God that formed us with his very hands.

Back
Top Bottom