miracle drug / bride of christ connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo Flimbo

The Fly
what are your thoughts on this?

song of solomon 6:3- I am by beloved's and my beloved's is mine

In miracle drug is bono speaking of a love relationship between christ and his us?

when bono says 'i am you and you are mine' i think that he is speaking of this passage (sos 6:3) but you'll notice instead of saying im am my beloved's he says i am you. from this i think hes talking about 2 cor 3:18 where it says we become transformed into Gods image.
what do you think about this?

Like so many of Bono's lyrics, one is free to interpret them in many different ways.

We have Bono's own explanation that MD was written about Christy Nolan who struggled with a serious developmental challenge and the love of his mother who wouldn't give up on Christy's chances to have a meaningful life.:up:

So the phrase "I am you and you are mine" directly refers to this parent's love and devotion to her son, but your interpretation is a nice one if we want to see this song in a larger context.

My only concern is that we DON'T DISCOUNT BONO'S OWN WORDS in our attempts to find larger meanings to his lyrics and his life.

We MUST RESPECT BONO ENOUGH to take his words at face value and not always read more into them that simply aren't there.

YOUR LOVE IS TEACHING ME HOW TO KNEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jimbo Flimbo,

Excellent interpretation! Although Jamila is right about the meaning of Miracle Drug, I think there are many deep and hidden levels of U2's lyrics, especially in MD. What makes a song lyrics great is being able to have them connect on different levels with different people. That is why I believe that it is healthy to read "between the lines."

U2 has described MD being about Chrity Nolan's story. But you know there is a lot more to the song than that!

PS, What kind of a name is "Jimbo Flimbo" anyway????:wink:

Jimbo...I agree with booster...

Bono is a deep man... I believe in his lyrics there is definently more than meets the eye...
Keep up the good work...

Ps... isn't booster juice a store?

The Captain said:
Jimbo...I agree with booster...

Bono is a deep man... I believe in his lyrics there is definently more than meets the eye...
Keep up the good work...

Ps... isn't booster juice a store?

Hey Captain,

Your wisdom strikes again! Boosterjuice is in fact, a store. We'll leave what kind of store to the imagination. :wink:

In summary,
a) Bono is a lyrically deep man
b) Jimbo Flimbo is not

Booster Juice... What insights to do you have into some of Bono's lyrics regarding MD... do you believe that Jimbo Flimbo was on to something with his bride of Christ interpretation?

The Captain said:
Booster Juice... What insights to do you have into some of Bono's lyrics regarding MD... do you believe that Jimbo Flimbo was on to something with his bride of Christ interpretation?

Interesting you should ask.

I actually think that there is some Africa in this song. Bono's blatant passion is helping the sick and poor who are inflicted with AIDS in that continent. Although U2 has stated that this song is about Christy Nolan, I believe that it is about a miracle drug to stop the AIDS epidemic. It would truly be a gift from God to have a scientist develop a drug to cure AIDS. I think that is what Bono is praying for. We all should do the same.

I agree with the Africa connection. at least, not knowing any background re: Christy Nolan, I thought immediately of Africa and the AIDS crisis, specifically the horrible practice of keeping affordable drugs out of reach of the poor for the profit of already rich drug companies. ugh. :down:

Booster that is a good insight...

Bono's lryics reaches for unity within the world... God and Medicine are on the same side...

Good discussion - :applaud:

And I actually agree with most of what was said.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I've recognized that line... its directed to God.

as well as "I've had enough of romantic love, I'd give it up, for a Miracle Drug"

The way I see it, Romantic love can't fully satisfy all our needs... but yet people turn to romantic love in order to feel complete, to turn from pain...but we have to go beyond that, turning to God and accepting HIS love, to make us whole, and to ease our pain.

Back
Top Bottom