Love Rescue Me...Come Forth And Speak To Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
Love Rescue Me from Rattle and Hum is the quintessential song for me between what I know is right, but how in the midst of my wrong, I find hope to bring it all back to love. I've picked out a few verses that have been meaningful to me, even at times hard to swallow, but pride often is that way...wouldn't you agree?

Yea, though I walk
In the valley of shadow
Yea, I will fear no evil
I have cursed thy rod and staff
They no longer comfort me
Love rescue me

I will admit that I was first disturbed by these words when I first listened to them. That Bono would have the audicity to admit that God's rod and staff no longer comforted him. But the longer I've lived this Christian life, I've found myself in moments where I wonder how I had gotten to that place, and what I was doing no longer seemed to matter, or affect me like it used to, and that Bono's words sung here stung like peroxide poured out on a wound, but like an old wound that seemed to reopen. But I once again found comfort in Bono's words, as one who would choose to be honest with his Maker and in the end realize that once again, what he really needed was for love to rescue him from his infidelity, from himself...at times I have been so there.

I said love
Climb up the mountains, said love
I said love, oh my love
On the hill of the son
I'm on the eve of a storm
And my word you must believe in
Oh, I said love, rescue me
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...

These words have always been fascinating to me, because even though Bono has been singing about himself up to this point, it is almost as if for this very verse, he sings of a conversation between the Father, God, and the Son, Jesus. God appears to be telling his Son that this mountain He must climb it necessary for the future when many will cry out "love rescue me", and this one act of unconditional love will be the answer, the cure. God's words of comfort continue when He tells His son to remember His words, "And my word you must believe in", the reason why He must go through what He has to go through, to the point that even Jesus Himself cries out "love rescue me".

I've conquered my past
The future is here at last
I stand at the entrance
To a new world I can see
The ruins to the right of me
Will soon have lost sight of me
Love rescue me

Everytime I listen to these words they bring goosebumps to not just my skin, but my soul. I don't know how many times I've been in a place spiritually where I've needed love to rescue me, to simply understand that this world is made up of grace, and because of that I can stand up and walk on from the point of where I've blown it...ah. once again, and forever...love rescue me!

So, I'm just wondering what other's thoughts or feeling you have sensed when you have listened to this song...maybe a stinging rain, or a healing balm? For me, this song is a reminder of God's grace, and will for always be a healing balm.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-13-2002).]

I have always loved this song..think its one of Bono's best works. Why people so often list this one as one of their least favorite U2 songs is perpetually beyond me...they all need to give it another listen.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

hmmm....I'm of the "not one of my favorites" camp, but after reading this, Chris, I think I'll have to give it another listen or two. The song interests me because Bono wrote it with Dylan...but was this before or after Dylan's much-publicized conversion to Christianity?

that is my all time most hated u2 song. it is also the only song on that list too. BUT, since you have written the words out and i read them without the music, it really is great writing.

i think i hate it mostly because it sounds so country. and i'm not a big fan of country music. i will give it another go though. thanks. and i'm glad it works for you.

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
I don't know how many times I've been in a place spiritually where I've needed love to rescue me, to simply understand that this world is made up of grace, and because of that I can stand up and walk on from the point of where I've blown it...ah. once again, and forever...love rescue me!

It's so hard sometimes to remember that God is full of grace. I forget all the time and am ashamed to admit it to Him who knows anyway.

I actually had never listened to this song in that manner before...it was really interesting to listen and think about your words...those were some great insights into that song and it infuses it with so much meaning! Thanks!

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

This song had a huge impact on me when I first heard it, because (1) it's a straight spiritual, a music I really love, and (2)it's a candid statement of despair -- a most specific kind of despair, one that Bono and Dylan uniquely understand, and one that casts its light on every other line in the song for me (until Chris came along and shone his particular, edifying beam on it...
smile.gif
)
But here's a verse you left out, Chris:
Many strangers have I met
on the road to my regret
Many lost who seek to find themselves in me
They ask me to reveal
the very thoughts they would conceal...

Lots of rock stars have had to contend with hero worship, but I think Bono is one who came closest to that singular place Dylan occupied in the 60s and 70s, one whose ideas, whose worldview and example liberated a generation from the hangups of the status quo. Their perceived "wisdom" was their burden. That they should collaborate on a song about it still amazes me.
I kinda feel as Bono did about the Psalms, about the line:
I have cursed thy rod and staff...
It shocks and comforts me. So does the gorgeous --

the purple of her eyes
the scarlet of my lies

The way the song is built ultimately tells me where his "curses" have led him.
I said love
Climb up the mountains, said love
I said love, oh my love
On the hill of the son
I'm on the eve of a storm
And my word you must believe in
Oh, I said love, rescue me
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...

After that harried crescendo -- after the "storm" -- the calm descends, the sun breaks through. Bono sounds humbled.
I've conquered my past
The future is here at last
I stand at the entrance
To a new world I can see
The ruins to the right of me
Will soon have lost sight of me

(that couplet is SO dylan!)
Love rescue me...
Sha la la
sha la la...

and Bono has a special way with a "sha la la;" in this instance, it's so sweetly blue and steeped in the roots of the music, i.e. in its wordless power to liberate. The song's an emotional favourite for me because in it I hear two of my own "heroes" telling me together that they are not, and that the illumination is within, for them as for me.

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Ive never been a great fan of the studio version of the song, but i did find myself loving the renditions of the song from Lovetown...the lyrics flow as if a lullaby, but have depth to them that really bear appreciation from many angles...

Wow, Chris...thank you for refreshing interest in this song. I will admit that musically it has never done much for me and as a result it has been easy to dismiss the words and jump to the next song. However, as I was reading through the lyrics you and others have posted, I find myself pretty blown away. In the words of Bebe King re: WLCTT..."you're mighty young to be writtin' such heavy lyrics, son."
smile.gif

This song could easily fit in a hymnal, imo.

-sula

wow, you said it!! I really love this song and the spiritual journey it takes you on to look at things and people differently, as in 'I cna't change the world, but I can change the world in me'! Brilliant song! But like all their songs, of no private intrepitation! peace to you all..

Back
Top Bottom