Looking for a good biography of Jesus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixingBliss

The Fly
Does anyone know of a book besides the Bible that gives a histrorical account of Jesus's life? I'm curious to see what details outside of the scriptures have been learned about his life. I suppose I'm looking for something based in some anthropology and analysis of other, non-Biblical texts.
Thanks for any advice...

Well there's not a lot. There are the non-cannonical gospels, one or two of which have turned up in the last century. The Gospel of Thomas won't help you as it's all sayings, perhaps the Gospel of the Ebionites, the Gospel of the Nazaraeans, The Gospel of the Hebrews, Gospel of Peter, Acts of Philip. However a number of these are not to be found outside of a few passages quoted in later Christian writings or in works denouncing them as heretical.

Gospel of the Ebionites only exists as seven fragments quoted in Epiphanius' Against Heresies XXX, 13-22. The Ebionites denied the virgin birth and belived that Jesus status as Son of God came from his baptism by the Spirit in teh Jordan.

Fragments of the Gospel of Peter tuend up in the 1880's

So basically none exists in anythign approaching full form.

The Gospel of Thomas is mostly complete, I believe but like I said it is only composed of sayings attributed to Jesus.

I know there are a few books which dig up material on the period, which look at the externally known historical figures like Pontius Pilate, Herod the Great, Herod Antipas etc. as well as on the places and the accuracy of the statements made in the Gospels.

For a different perspective on Jesus you could always read the Qu'ran, where he appears quite a lot. However, as the Qu'ran was not written until some time after Muhammed's death in 632 you don't get a close historical account.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom