Jonah I:XV shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
In the Q magazine....there is a pic of Edge wearing a T-shirt that says, "Jonah I:XV" Using roman numerals that's Jonah 1:15.

But the verse itself doesn't seem to jump out with any significance: " 1:15 So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging. "

Any thoughts?

stars, I would fathom a guess that the significance of that passage is that the sea ceased her raging because it "knew" that Jonah was "on a mission from God" :wink: and by its ceasing it was complying with the Will of God.

If this idea is in the ballpark, then maybe its significance to Edge would be that it's best that we on earth should "cease raging" against the Will of God and just comply with it - and all will be well. :up:

This what I get from this passage and its possible significance to the Edge. Thanks for asking an interesting question.

YOUR LOVE IS TEACHING ME HOW TO KNEEL....:hug:

Jamila,

Maybe you're not familiar with the story? Why would you say such thing? It's a pretty famous story.

Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship.
But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us, and we will not perish."
7 Then the sailors said to each other, "Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity." They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah.
8 So they asked him, "Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?"
9 He answered, "I am a Hebrew and I worship the LORD , the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land."
10 This terrified them and they asked, "What have you done?" (They knew he was running away from the LORD , because he had already told them so.)
11 The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, "What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?"
12 "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," he replied, "and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you."
13 Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. 14 Then they cried to the LORD , "O LORD , please do not let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, O LORD , have done as you pleased." 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. 16 At this the men greatly feared the LORD , and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows to him.
17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.

so much for sharing our thoughts in the Name of Love

thanks for trying, stars. :wink:

PS
I attended parochial school for 12 years, so I'm well familiar with the stories of the Bible. I was just interpreting what the story of Jonah said to my heart. :hug:

starsgoblue said:
I have read all of Jonah....I was asking for any thoughts or maybe if someone already knew the answer to the shirt....

Sorry, that probably came out wrong.

Jonah was asked by God to go to Ninevah. In turn, he decided to go the opposite way, as far as he could go in the known world. Jonah soon learned he could not run or hide.

Even the crew of the ship learned this lesson.

Guys, I'm sorry too if it came across dogmatic.

I just thought that verse was pretty clear based on the story (the verses before it and after it).

Too many times Christians take one verse out of context. It must fit in with the rest.

Mark

We're ONE, but we're not the same. MadelynIris.

We get to carry each other.:wink:

Let's continue our civilized discussion of spiritual ides here - I think we would make the Almighty and U2 proud of us.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:hug:

This is a reference to Jesus. The old testament is nothing but shadows and types for the new testament. Symbolism. 3 days and 3 nights. One man is sacrificed for the others but does not actually die. He is in the belly of the whale ( Jesus in paradise) for 3 days and nights.

macphisto777 said:
This is a reference to Jesus. The old testament is nothing but shadows and types for the new testament. Symbolism. 3 days and 3 nights. One man is sacrificed for the others but does not actually die. He is in the belly of the whale ( Jesus in paradise) for 3 days and nights.

Yes, Jonah is often to referred to as a "type of Christ". Jonah's sacrifice (tossing him off the boat) led to the safety, and perhaps salvation, of the entire boat.

starsgoblue said:
In the Q magazine....there is a pic of Edge wearing a T-shirt that says, "Jonah I:XV" Using roman numerals that's Jonah 1:15.

But the verse itself doesn't seem to jump out with any significance: " 1:15 So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging. "

Any thoughts?

Another thought about this:

Sacrifice for the greater good: Jonah was cast into the sea in order to save the rest of the boat from ruin.

Perhaps their music is "Jonah"... or an attempt to quell the raging sea.

wonderful idea, hippy - :wink:

Edge himself would probably come up with an analogy like that - it sounds very plausible.

Sacrifice for the greater good - what U2 has always been about both within the group and within our world.

I also think that might be their greatest wish and challenge for all of us to become. :up:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:hug:

regarding "JONAH" T-shirt.
There's a workshop/ design house in Portland, MAINE that makes handmade clothes called ROGUES GALLERY. They are huge U2 fans.
(website www.dandyrogue.com)
This shirt is certainly a ROGUES GALLERY.
The guy who started it is called Alex.
-Atlantic

Back
Top Bottom