Jesus, Jesus help me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tell me about it! That song...indeed the whole album...has really been my voice much of the time this past year. "I'm alone in this world, and a fucked up world it is too."

After feeling deserted by God and everyone that I held dear, I found myself really connecting with much of the emotions in Pop. "God's got his phone off the hook, babe, would he even pick up if he could?" And after railing at the sky for answers, I was stunned to realize that even "if God would send his angels, would everything be alright?" Like, would that really solve my problems?

"The high street never looked so low." After living a life in the Christian community, surrounded by the church, I found myself pushing it away in disgust as I found more and more hypocrisy there. "Where do we go?" I'm still not sure. "Jesus never let me down..." But that so far is my answer. I'm still not very confident in the organization or the religion, but right now, I'm just practicing talking to the guy in charge. And trying to shake the baggage of my past...my pre-conceptions about God and how he sees me.

Jesus, Jesus help me
I'm alone in this world
And a fucked up world it is too
Tell me, tell me the story
The one about eternity
And the way it's all gonna be

Wake up, wake up dead man

Jesus, I'm waiting here boss
I know you're looking out for us
But maybe your hands aren't free
Your father, He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven
Will you put in a word in for me

Listen to your words they'll tell you what to do
Listen over the rhythm that's confusing you
Listen to the reed in the saxophone
Listen over the hum of the radio
Listen over sounds of blades in rotation
Listen through the traffic and circulation
Listen as hope and peace try to rhyme
Listen over marching bands playing out their time

Jesus, were you just around the corner
Did You think to try and warn her
Or are you working on something new
If there's an order in all of this disorder
Is it like a tape recorder
Can we rewind it just once more

Yeah, I've been singing this song a lot recently too...

And I find it really intriguing that this song can really be interpreted two wildly different ways:
You can take it as a plea for Jesus to wake up or as a plea for the singer to be woken up....

I'm singing it the second way...man, sometimes this world gets really dark. And I find myself asking for Jesus to wake me up from the funk I'm in...

"Can we rewind it just once more...."

------------------
When you've seen beyond yourself
then you may find peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you.

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Could be either way, yes. The song really recognizes the confusion and contradiction that a believer faces in this day. ...and the feelings of desertion during a "crisis of faith". I seem to be "right there"..going on some time now. But, I still believe, and I still pray.

I have to remind my inner-skeptic that even a scientific study showed a statistically significant "effectiveness" in hospital patients who were prayed-for, versus those who were not.

I suppose my faith will never again be like it was when I was a "youngster" in church. But....it was much EASIER then. Maybe I'm "learning" faith.

Sorry to rant.

I LOVE the part of WUDM where Bono start's singing, "Listen to ....." It gives me chills.

Originally posted by bonofnattic:

I suppose my faith will never again be like it was when I was a "youngster" in church. But....it was much EASIER then. Maybe I'm "learning" faith.

That's a good thing. It shouldn't be like it was when you were a kid. I realize it was much simpler then, but did it mean as much? It didn't to me, not at all! Finding my own "in" to Christianity has made me love it more that I ever thought I would. Simpler faith by no means equals a good faith. The more complications you are feeling the more deeply you are thinking about Christ and other issues you may be having. So it's a good thing that your Christianity has become more difficult with age.

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

Originally posted by bonofnattic:

I think it will probably be better. There was the time when I was young and blindly believed, the way we should, and I've been through a time where I knew I believed and wasn't sure what to do with it. Im still not really sure but I went to church the other night and it felt so good and so right, I can't help but think that I'm ready to let God play a bigger part in my life. I hope I am anyway. But I believe the best kind of faith comes when you've been tried and discovered for yourself you still believe..

Pop is an album caught in the middle of despair and confusion with God, and look what followed; it seems so perfect, so right
smile.gif

*sigh* lately i'm feeling like an Agnostic(sp?)

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

I can relate to feelings of agnosticism creeping up on me. I think that it's normal if you are a fellow "disappointed idealist", to quote George Carlin.

Bottom line is, we live in a world that doesn't make allowance for Faith & belief in a God. Now, in my 2-cent opinion..if the Bible is 100% Truth, then we have an enemy who doesn't want us to believe. Whether you think of Satan as a literal being, or the world-system, or the hierarchy of the 'church', then you have an enemy who doesn't want you to soar with Eagle's wings. I think moments & even years of doubt are likely to occur as a natural consequence, and it doesn't mean you're not a Christian. (of course that's a very simplistic opinion)

Hey, look at Thomas.

Back
Top Bottom